• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#76 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

Honestly I don't see the point in discussing the implementation of a stock market system yet... that is something we have plenty of time to develop and mold a stock market system after we have established the rest of the basics.

So... lets get a little more focused on the discussion of the pet aspect, how should the system for acquiring pets work, how could we implement an 'evolution' system? Does anyone have any ideas for a solid trading system? How could we implement shops and what should shops stock?

Hmmm, (kinda like Mentalfox said earlier) maybe there could be a create-a-pet style way of obtaining pets, but it would only be a handful of really basic ones (3 max), then you could get stronger, more unique pets through battling and catching them? :o (5 max through this method) This would be really cool especially in like plots where certain pets can only be caught from there or at a certain point, or the final boss could be caught/be like a one of a kind pet and/or colour combination, like a DSoD or a Spring Snowbunny ^^

And a shopping area like the Pet Central Neo uses would be good!

Edited by Turnip, 07 April 2012 - 03:43 PM.

#77 mentalfox

mentalfox
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

Honestly I don't see the point in discussing the implementation of a stock market system yet... that is something we have plenty of time to develop and mold a stock market system after we have established the rest of the basics.

So... lets get a little more focused on the discussion of the pet aspect, how should the system for acquiring pets work, how could we implement an 'evolution' system? Does anyone have any ideas for a solid trading system? How could we implement shops and what should shops stock?

Acquiring pets > as I mentioned, fighting in the wild, this system shouldn't be too difficult. The evolution system, is about experience, and the pet's 'feelings' for it's owner... And it's will to evolve. Or maybe we could use more like... The pet evolves when it's rested, it evolves for the fight (from a small pet you can carry into a wild cat or somthin') and then back to that pet after the battle is over or the pet is tired. Then it goes for a few times until the pet has enough power and exp to evolve permanently.

The trading system can be like a "chat online"... or just use the classic auction system. Or both.
Shops are obvious, we'll start with basic shops. Food shops and snacks for pets, training* shops, guides, etc.
More?

Edited by mentalfox, 07 April 2012 - 03:44 PM.

#78 Steve

Steve
  • 238 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:43 PM

Acquiring pets > as I mentioned, fighting in the wild, this system shouldn't be too difficult. The evolution system, is about experience, and the pet's 'feelings' for it's owner... And it's will to evolve. Or maybe we could use more like... The pet evolves when it's rested, it evolves for the fight (from a small pet you can carry into a wild cat or somthin') and then back to that pet after the battle is over or the pet is tired. Then it goes for a few times until the pet has enough power and exp to evolve permanently.

The trading system can be like a "chat online"... or just use the classic auction system. Or both.
Shops are obvious, we'll start with basic shops. Food shops and snacks for pets, train shops, guides, etc.
More?

We will need something collectible in all of this. People tend to love to collect.
Now that I think about this, we could just have a toy shop & plushies can fill that void.

Edited by St3v3, 07 April 2012 - 03:45 PM.

#79 fimend

fimend
  • 170 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:44 PM

Users could acquire pets, items, experience, etc. by completing quests. There could be a set amount of standard quests associated with each part of the world that users could complete. They could require some form of battling, collecting items, and other challenges. New quests could be released as part of plots.

#80 mentalfox

mentalfox
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:46 PM

We will need something collectible in all of this. People tend to love to collect.

Rare wild animals that hard to catch. If you mentioned pokemon, go for meotow, meow, the legendary birds, etc.
Or collectible shops :p Rare snacks, rare evolving stones for special evolution(?)

Quests is a must in every game =)

Edited by mentalfox, 07 April 2012 - 03:47 PM.

#81 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

The pet evolves when it's rested, it evolves for the fight (from a small pet you can carry into a wild cat or somthin') and then back to that pet after the battle is over or the pet is tired. Then it goes for a few times until the pet has enough power and exp to evolve permanently.

So basically Digimon style evolution system is what you are recommending? That's not a bad idea, I'd like the user to maintain final say in what form the pet maintains though, just because it CAN be a Greymon 24/7 doesn't mean I don't want it reverting to Agumon the majority of the time.

#82 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

Rare wild animals that hard to catch. If you mentioned pokemon, go for meotow, meow, the legendary birds, etc.
Or collectible shops :p Rare snacks, rare evolving stones for special evolution(?)

Quests is a must in every game =)

Knickknacks. I want a freaking knickknack shop. For no other purpose besides collecting. Give galleries the option of looking like a curio or the little box shelves with compartments shadowbox to put stuff in.

I love questing.

Edited by Napiform, 07 April 2012 - 03:53 PM.

#83 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:53 PM

Napiform and I were talking while I was outside smoking, basically... my idea is that for wild encounters to occur along those lines but the odds of getting them at all are going to be the equivalent of getting a FFQ.

Then start capturing system.

End with Super Rare Pet escaping or being captured, using Nets, Traps. or something like that which requires the user buying them before setting out into the wilds.

#84 mentalfox

mentalfox
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

Napiform and I were talking while I was outside smoking, basically... my idea is that for wild encounters to occur along those lines but the odds of getting them at all are going to be the equivalent of getting a FFQ.

Then start capturing system.

End with Super Rare Pet escaping or being captured, using Nets, Traps. or something like that which requires the user buying them before setting out into the wilds.

Or if it's a pet that you have to battle to gain its trust if you don't want it to rebel you :p Yes! trust system sounds good to me ^________^

Wooha things now moving... Well, quest system is something we need actually to discuss on, it's another topic O:

Ok, we covered a lot of technical stuff... how about... plot?

Edited by mentalfox, 07 April 2012 - 04:01 PM.

#85 Steve

Steve
  • 238 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:04 PM

Or if it's a pet that you have to battle to gain its trust if you don't want it to rebel you :p Yes! trust system sounds good to me ^________^

Wooha things now moving... Well, quest system is something we need actually to discuss on, it's another topic O:

Ok, we covered a lot of technical stuff... how about... plot?

So what's a quick summary of acquiring pets then?
Create / Catch them?
Was there a pet number ever agreed on?

Edited by St3v3, 07 April 2012 - 04:08 PM.

#86 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

Create / Catch them?

Sounds like it~ Plus, it sounds like the best kind of getting pets in my opinion x3 Hurray a nice mix of Pokemon and Neopets~
But yes I don't think it'd be best to have every single species available at the create-a-pet page, gotta have some sort of goal and challenge for users and Getting the Pets They Love Most!

#87 mentalfox

mentalfox
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:11 PM

Create / Catch them?

The first one you get on your choice or you go past a few questions that will chose for you the best partner... The others you will have to catch, acquire their trust, fight them, and so on.
You can start it like this:
"One day you saw one of these creatures who's everyone talking about, and you decided to take care of it."
Then the user answers a few questions, his small pet will then be revealed.

Yeah and probably not putting rare animals or hard-to-catch one as the ones you can chose... there should be up to four or five basic pets... how about... elements that the pets use? 4 basic elements? or 5?

Edited by mentalfox, 07 April 2012 - 04:13 PM.

#88 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:12 PM

Sounds like it~ Plus, it sounds like the best kind of getting pets in my opinion x3 Hurray a nice mix of Pokemon and Neopets~
But yes I don't think it'd be best to have every single species available at the create-a-pet page, gotta have some sort of goal and challenge for users and Getting the Pets They Love Most!

Yeah, and more can always be released as events occur in the plot line or as the site gets stale.

#89 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Create a pet from basic (4) pets.

Acquire super-rare pets from exploring (< 5%).

Create from Potion, Summon Stone, other item... (Think Krawk's and Draik's)

Create special evolutions from Plot's.

Let's use Digimon for an example:

Posted Image

Our Halloween World needs a champion, Agumon creeps through the graveyard, Agumon discovers a new Ultimate Level Evolution! Skullgreymon!

Posted Image

(For anyone who doesn't know Skullgreymon isn't the normal Ultimate Level Digivolution for Greymon.)

Posted Image

(ignore Tai)

Edited by Yung, 07 April 2012 - 04:14 PM.

#90 Steve

Steve
  • 238 posts

I'm just trying to summarize all this into 1 organized post at the beginning so we don't start getting multiple ideas..

So training, is this all done via battles? Or will we have some sort of Training Center like in Neo? Or both?

Edited by St3v3, 07 April 2012 - 04:13 PM.

#91 Graz

Graz
  • 231 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:15 PM

What's wrong with a simple pet and better training system. People hate complex shit, keep it simple.

#92 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

So training, is this all done via battles? Or will we have some sort of Training Center like in Neo? Or both?

Both.

Basically... training is time consuming + expensive, battling scales and gets harder BUT you do raise a minimal amount IF you win.

#93 mentalfox

mentalfox
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

I'm just trying to summarize all this into 1 organized post at the beginning so we don't start getting multiple ideas..

Fighting is of course a part of the training but more like the "exam". We also should have training system. Like pet trust and feeding it... letting it rest also has to do something with training. And if we use elements we can try like... Small fire ball... and making the pet go and try use more power so the fire will be stronger... We can have training rooms for that, or actually basing it on just fighting other pets if you don't want it to get complicated.

I'm a digimon fan, I don't mind mixing digimon too into it =)

Edited by mentalfox, 07 April 2012 - 04:20 PM.

#94 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

The first one you get on your choice or you go past a few questions that will chose for you the best partner... The others you will have to catch, acquire their trust, fight them, and so on.
You can start it like this:
"One day you saw one of these creatures who's everyone talking about, and you decided to take care of it."
Then the user answers a few questions, his small pet will then be revealed.

Eh, something like the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon way of getting your character might not work all that well for a pet site, unless you get a couple to choose from >w> And people would complain about not getting the pet of their choice or make lots of junk accounts trying to get a pet they want....

Sure, people will just post their quiz results off-site but... still, you know people would do it x3

What's wrong with a simple pet and better training system. People hate complex shit, keep it simple.

Pokemon's battling system is very simple on the outside, but once you start going into depth with it, it's pretty deep, heheh~ Making something like that would be awesome :3

Edited by Turnip, 07 April 2012 - 04:21 PM.

#95 mentalfox

mentalfox
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

Eh, something like the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon way of getting your character might not work all that well for a pet site, unless you get a couple to choose from >w> And people would complain about not getting the pet of their choice or make lots of junk accounts trying to get a pet they want....

Sure, people will just post their quiz results off-site but... still, you know people would do it x3

probably, but we can make a "roll back" - Do you like your pet? It's element is X and it looks like : -PIC-... Or just putting it into the questions form.
What element pet do you want? fire? water? air? earth? (5th element if you like electricity or should we make it rare...)
and then
Do you like... Cute, pretty, rude, cool... pet... n'stuff. Questioning is better since you can't get all info about your pet by just looking at it.

They'll be satisfied.

Edited by mentalfox, 07 April 2012 - 04:29 PM.

#96 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:31 PM

probably, but we can make a "roll back" - Do you like your pet? It's element is X and it looks like : -PIC-... Or just putting it into the questions form.
What element pet do you want? fire? water? air? earth? (5th element if you like electricity or should we make it rare...)
and then
Do you like... Cute, pretty, rude, cool... pet... n'stuff.

They'll be satisfied.

Mmm that would be alright I guess~ If you've played the Pokemon V demo a few years back, we had a quiz form you took before getting your starters, with questions like 'where would you most find a fire pokemon? in a, b, c or d' and three of those questions, where a/b/c/d determined the region where it's from :3 Then you would get a choice of three Pokemon once you got back to the lab ^^ Gotta love choices~ 

#97 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:34 PM

A better questionnaire system would be better. Questions pertaining to you that finds a pet that will more easily associate with you would be infinitely better.

"If you are hanging out with your friends which of the following is likely to occur?"

Something is getting broken.
Someone is going to jail.
Someone is getting ISS.
Someone is losing their job.

#98 mentalfox

mentalfox
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

Mmm that would be alright I guess~ If you've played the Pokemon V demo a few years back, we had a quiz form you took before getting your starters, with questions like 'where would you most find a fire pokemon? in a, b, c or d' and three of those questions, where a/b/c/d determined the region where it's from :3 Then you would get a choice of three Pokemon once you got back to the lab ^^ Gotta love choices~

Yeah but we can't ask such questions for users who don't know the answers... The questions should be like the ones I mentioned. And yeah, in the end after you answer the questions you can get the 2 most basic pets that fit you and your choices. (2 basic pets for each element).

A better questionnaire system would be better. Questions pertaining to you that finds a pet that will more easily associate with you would be infinitely better.

"If you are hanging out with your friends which of the following is likely to occur?"

Something is getting broken.
Someone is going to jail.
Someone is getting ISS.
Someone is losing their job.

Yeah we'll find the type of questions that fit the most =)

#99 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:39 PM

Yeah! Like a personality test that will match you to your perfect pet.

You could do something as simple as assigning starter pets to astrology types and then making the pets astrologically compatible with the user birthday they give when they sign up.

#100 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:44 PM

Yeah but we can't ask such questions for users who don't know the answers... The questions should be like the ones I mentioned. And yeah, in the end after you answer the questions you can get the 2 most basic pets that fit you and your choices. (2 basic pets for each element).

I was just using it as an example, also the different answers you could choose from were like a) in a river b) in a swamp c) at the ocean etc x3 The point I was trying to get across was being able to choose from more than just one pet albeit badly, heheh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users