Photo

A new pet site?

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#101 mentalfox

mentalfox
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:46 PM

Yeah! Like a personality test that will match you to your perfect pet.

You could do something as simple as assigning starter pets to astrology types and then making the pets astrologically compatible with the user birthday they give when they sign up.

Yea! That's what I meant > personality test ^_______^ So yea we'll find the type of the questions later. Are we finished with the overall main systems or do we need anything else?

I was just using it as an example, also the different answers you could choose from were like a) in a river b) in a swamp c) at the ocean etc x3 The point I was trying to get across was being able to choose from more than just one pet albeit badly, heheh

Yeah so I mentioned 2 basic pets for each element =) 5 elements while one considered rare... :p
So you have 4 elements to chose from... At the beginning.

Edited by mentalfox, 07 April 2012 - 04:46 PM.

#102 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:58 PM

Yeah so I mentioned 2 basic pets for each element =) 5 elements while one considered rare... :p
So you have 4 elements to chose from... At the beginning.

... Oh! Hahaha didn't see that :p Sorry, I'm super mega tired~

#103 mentalfox

mentalfox
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:00 PM

... Oh! Hahaha didn't see that :p Sorry, I'm super mega tired~

That's ok... I edit a lot my posts so people don't always take notice. Anyway, it's 4am for me :p

#104 Guest_idonotexist_*

Guest_idonotexist_*

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:10 PM

I still think a Neopets MMORPG would be amazing. xD

#105 Steve

Steve
  • 238 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

Allright, we're actually getting pretty into this.
What about names?
Should we just start spouting possible names and have a vote later?
Or are we directly associating it with Codex?

#106 fimend

fimend
  • 170 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:16 PM

What's wrong with a simple pet and better training system. People hate complex shit, keep it simple.

I agree with this. A lot of the appeal of Neopets is that it's a game, but it's not only geared towards gamers. There are many elements to the site and users can choose to participate in the things that interest them. Some people want pretty pets, some people want strong pets, some people want rare pets and pursuing any of those paths is okay. Having the entire game be battle-centric with constantly changing/leveling/evolving pets could alienate the group of people that aren't interested in that aspect of the game. An improved training system is definitely a must for a new site, but I think having pets that evolve and devolve all the time could be annoying for some people.

#107 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

Allright, we're actually getting pretty into this.
What about names?
Should we just start spouting possible names and have a vote later?
Or are we directly associating it with Codex?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by directly associating it with Codex? Do you mean like having little pet verion Boggarts, Pyros, Rainies, Scots, Nymhs, iargues and all the other active/well known members running around? :p

Oh my god this would be really awesome

#108 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

I agree with this. A lot of the appeal of Neopets is that it's a game, but it's not only geared towards gamers. There are many elements to the site and users can choose to participate in the things that interest them. Some people want pretty pets, some people want strong pets, some people want rare pets and pursuing any of those paths is okay. Having the entire game be battle-centric with constantly changing/leveling/evolving pets could alienate the group of people that aren't interested in that aspect of the game. An improved training system is definitely a must for a new site, but I think having pets that evolve and devolve all the time could be annoying for some people.

^This. There needs to be a niche for everyone. Well, not everyone but most people :)

#109 mentalfox

mentalfox
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

What's wrong? :p A lot of people like pets, pokemons, and tamagotchi-like games XD
We can't make a game that suits all people on the world.

But that's true, basing it too much on battling isn't very a good choice... That's why I suggested other systems... like training system that has nothing to do with battle, and taking care for a pet that is not a built-for-battle pet... :p How about that?

Edited by mentalfox, 07 April 2012 - 05:26 PM.

#110 Neoquest

Neoquest
  • 1760 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

I'd suggest not having the pets evolve/change in any way. Once you've gotten a pet, it should stay the way it is. You need to remember that this is a pet site, and shouldn't be completely focused around battle.

#111 fimend

fimend
  • 170 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:50 PM

I'd suggest not having the pets evolve/change in any way. Once you've gotten a pet, it should stay the way it is. You need to remember that this is a pet site, and shouldn't be completely focused around battle.

Yeah. I agree. There could be some expanded form of battling abilities that pets could gain, but I think the appearance should stay the same unless the user chooses to change it using some variation of a paint brush.

#112 mentalfox

mentalfox
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:52 PM

So if I want my pet to look different... Are you suggesting me to spill a bucket of paint on my pet?! XD That's rude :p
Anyway, we still have a lot of things to decide on... I'll sum this topic (not now, too tired xD) and we'll see things more clear when it's all together.
For that I think the pet can change it's form only when it goes into battle mode or something like that... =)
So all the pets stay as... Small carry-able pets unless they enter a battle. How's that?
You'll be able to just take care for your pet not necessarily making it to evolve... Maybe some people WOULD like their pets to acquire a new look by evolving.

I'm off to sleep.

Edited by mentalfox, 07 April 2012 - 06:02 PM.

#113 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:03 PM

It could change through other means as well though? :3 So, say, a pet that would change it's appearance at level 10 through battling could instead get it changed by winning a beauty or writing contest! There could be different difficulty contests though, such as beginner, intermediate and advanced/a different difficulty for each time a pet can change :D 

Edited by Turnip, 07 April 2012 - 06:03 PM.

#114 Neoquest

Neoquest
  • 1760 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

I'd suggest more of an all around way to change your pet, not just gaining exp/getting stronger. There needs to be an econ system that can actually get you to different places, not just get you money to train more. I'd suggest a plot like system except with battles instead of tons of clicking and plots that never expire so all members can participate in them even if they are new.

#115 Graz

Graz
  • 231 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

So if I want my pet to look different... Are you suggesting me to spill a bucket of paint on my pet?! XD That's rude :p
Anyway, we still have a lot of things to decide on... I'll sum this topic (not now, too tired xD) and we'll see things more clear when it's all together.
For that I think the pet can change it's form only when it goes into battle mode or something like that... =)
So all the pets stay as... Small carry-able pets unless they enter a battle. How's that?
You'll be able to just take care for your pet not necessarily making it to evolve... Maybe some people WOULD like their pets to acquire a new look by evolving.

I'm off to sleep.

Whats wrong with a simple pet and having battle poses, people loved the look of UC pets and some of them had really good BD poses.

It could change through other means as well though? :3 So, say, a pet that would change it's appearance at level 10 through battling could instead get it changed by winning a beauty or writing contest! There could be different difficulty contests though, such as beginner, intermediate and advanced/a different difficulty for each time a pet can change :D

Maybe something similar to a FFQ that would give the option to change me pet, but from past experiences people who battle don't care what their pet looks like only the bonuses that they get.

Edited by Graz, 07 April 2012 - 06:48 PM.

#116 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:30 PM

Interesting ideas in this thread.

Success lies in iOS and Android apps for something like this.

#117 Nonexistent

Nonexistent
  • 681 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:40 PM

We need to somehow avoid letting the pets be just like items or objects to be traded back and forth, if it were possible for each to be almost unique somehow, the owners would cherish it more and would want to keep coming back for it instead of just neglecting it like what I do with my neopets

#118 CubeMan

CubeMan
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:44 PM

The easiest method is make a barebone site, have the basics. Then let the community take you in the right direction but at the sametime you have to make your own to show that there is real development behind the scenes. The people can make suggestions in the end you have to run your own website or product. Otherwise all it takes is one majority of people to come around and make a suggestion purposely to take something in there favor. I've seen alot of crazy suggestions that in reality just help certain times of people who just want profit or play the game to stomp over others.

#119 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:27 PM

I'm not quite sure what you mean by directly associating it with Codex? Do you mean like having little pet version Boggarts, Pyros, Rainies, Scots, Nymhs, iargues, Sweeney and all the other active/well known members running around? :p

Oh my god this would be really awesome

This.

I'd suggest more of an all around way to change your pet, not just gaining exp/getting stronger. There needs to be an econ system that can actually get you to different places, not just get you money to train more. I'd suggest a plot like system except with battles instead of tons of clicking and plots that never expire so all members can participate in them even if they are new.

Yeah, it's so frustrating to not be able to work through plots and see how things go cause they're expired.

Edited by Napiform, 07 April 2012 - 07:29 PM.

#120 mentalfox

mentalfox
  • 112 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:30 AM

That's why I asked about the background story... Starting a game without a story about it will just make it another grinding game. We covered a lot of technical things (well, except for pets appearances) that should be done later when actually building the game. I think now we should really start to try and find stories, one main line, a few ways to develop, a few places to go (that actually requires some time to get there/special permissions), arenas, contests, prizes, etc. and the less technical stuff... But more what the game is about.

Edited by mentalfox, 08 April 2012 - 01:31 AM.

#121 Crispin

Crispin
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:48 AM

About the restrictions on the number of pets... why not just require players to pay a fee for each pet created (apart from the first pet of course)? One that rises exponentially for each pet already owned. So say the second pet costs 100, third 1000, fourth 10000, fifth 100000, sixth 1000000 etc. Of course, the rise in price could be less extreme than that, but in general something that lets you own a lot of pets without allowing people to flood their profile with hundreds of them just like that.

#122 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:14 AM

Good ideas so far:

1) Better battle system
2) Stocks that actually get priced due to purchases of items at that shop and/or purchases of the stock
2) Mobile Access (Mobile Site and/or Apps)
3) Get starter pets at the beginning. Random events allow you to catch rare pets, potions/items to acquire special pets
4) Starter pet choices based on outcome of personality quiz upon signup.
5) Pets level up through battle experience and training area
6) Pets evolve by choice(what about painting/changing color?) upon completion of quests/plots/leveling up (?)

If I'm missing anything PM me and I'll keep the list going. So far it's looking good people, don't let this die.

personally:
1. I really like the current battle system. Its classic. It would be nice if there was full documentation on all the weapons though.
2. GREAT idea. I love his idea.
2. Mobile - no. I dont play games on the go.
3. re's are good as is. rare and sometimes really pay off. however it woudl be nice if we got some higher pay off re's currnetly. i rarely get re's. i liked that tallisman idea to boost your re's. i wish it showed you a % chance of re's after getting that talissman. then it would be more worth buying. right now its just a claimed % increase.
4. eh. dont care so much about matching a pet to my personality. personality quizzes are bogus in my opinion. very biased. you answer them the way you want to answer it.
5. i dont like that. it makes it very rpg. with the current system people can come in just get into the same leagues. one thing i would like to see again is the petpet's giving bonuses to the pet.
6. evolving - pokemon - no

overall. currently i think the neopets talisman thing is just awesome. i just wish it would give us some hard numbrs so i would be more convinced to go buy it all. like we have no idea what the yellow ones do.

#123 megedyz

megedyz
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:33 AM

While it's nice to imagine a sort of site where we had this sort of creative input, what are the chances of actually implementing them? Or is this just sort of like "necodex's pipe dream"? X3

I personally LOVE the idea of "evolving" pets, but not in a straight Pokemon sort of idea. I like the idea of it being more varied (for a pokemon example, think Eevee.) As in, you can choose what you want your pet's next "stage" or evolution line to be.

#124 mentalfox

mentalfox
  • 112 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:28 AM

There will be an option to evolve your pet more than just one evolution, like 2 or 3, and depends on how it's raised or something.
The quiz is not really an all personality quiz (just a few questions), there will be questions like... What pet the user want to start with... And like I mentioned before, the color, the way it looks (cool/cute..), the element it uses and so on.
Pets level through battling OR evolving their special abilities (For example, Instead of healing springs, other pets can heal them)...
And I think "coloring a pet" is more likely a paint that will wear off as if you were coloring it's hair (fur). I don't like the idea of spilling paint on your pet o-o There should be something else... As you can't just go and change the color of pikachu. Or your cat.
The events to catch pets aren't too random... It's like a hunt in the wild for a pet... In the wild you have no rules so you probably can fight with 3 pets with a wild one to catch it and gain it's loyalty or something.

#125 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:40 AM

Interesting ideas in this thread.

Success lies in iOS and Android apps for something like this.

Yes! I've been saying forever that neopets needs an app you can play games on on your iphone/android.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users