• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#51 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:03 PM

Any smoking-related illnesses. Use the money for treating non-voluntary issues.

What about people who have illnesses from second-hand smoke and crack babies?

I started smoking when I was 11, peer pressure/fitting in with the cool kids and all that shit, I smoked non-stop through to 25 then I just quit. I didn't need to have help, I stopped buying ciggs and that was that. I'll go to the strip club now and then, and after a few tequilas I'll smoke a bit before stopping again the next day.
I've been smoking now, mostly due to the stress of where I used to live amongst other things, for about 5-6 weeks. I have 4 ciggs left in my packet and then I'm done again.

This sounds kind of like me, except I don't go to strip clubs. I've never been a heavy smoker, maybe a pack a week at the most. I've stopped for months here and there, and then just pick it back up again no matter how much my mom yells at me.

I would probably never try e-cigarettes.
Smoking is a classy way to commit suicide. I want to be sure I'm doing it properly.

#52 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:47 PM

What about people who have illnesses from second-hand smoke and crack babies?

I'd say that's non-voluntary enough of an issue that they will be able to get treated for it without any extra charges.

#53 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:42 PM

Any smoking-related illnesses. Use the money for treating non-voluntary issues.

That's impossible. What about illnesses that are caused by second hand smoke? Illnesses that are caused by other external factors such as colds and flus?

Plus the fact that's incredibly unfair.

#54 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:44 AM

That's impossible. What about illnesses that are caused by second hand smoke?

What about them? You're not responsible for inhaling other people's smoke.

Illnesses that are caused by other external factors such as colds and flus?

Don't see the relevance, since I clearly specified smoking-related illness.

Plus the fact that's incredibly unfair.

I don't see why.

#55 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:42 AM

What about them? You're not responsible for inhaling other people's smoke.

Don't see the relevance, since I clearly specified smoking-related illness.

I don't see why.

If you get an illness from second hand smoke you have to pay for medical treatment? How is that fair?

Flus and colds are off-set and made worse by smoking. So they would have to pay for basic GP subscriptions.

People pay more in taxes and still have to pay for the NHS which is free healthcare? You don't see that as unfair treatment.

If you go down the line of self-inflicted illness and injuries should having to be paid for instead of being free under NHS treatment, where do we stop?

Alcohol or drug induced illness/injuries?
Obesity or weight related issues?
People who have extreme sports hobbies?
Suicide attempts?

Why the fuck should I pay for medical treatment when I guarantee I pay more than the vast majority of people already, just because I like a smoke? Why should I pay for anything when I already pay for private health care as it is?

#56 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:48 AM

If you get an illness from second hand smoke you have to pay for medical treatment? How is that fair?

Make sure you read my posts properly.

Flus and colds are off-set and made worse by smoking. So they would have to pay for basic GP subscriptions.

Everyone gets colds, and they are untreatable. Same with flu, except for inoculation.
Everybody already pays for GP prescriptions for painkillers/antibiotics, and anything which alleviates symptoms.

People pay more in taxes and still have to pay for the NHS which is free healthcare? You don't see that as unfair treatment.

No. It's not unfair, because it's a choice.

If you go down the line of self-inflicted illness and injuries should having to be paid for instead of being free under NHS treatment, where do we stop?

Alcohol or drug induced illness/injuries?
Obesity or weight related issues?
People who have extreme sports hobbies?
Suicide attempts?

All of the above sound reasonable to charge for.
Except in cases of underlying problems that cause obesity, underlying mental conditions that cause suicide attempts, and voluntary alcohol/drug rehabilitation.

Why the fuck should I pay for medical treatment when I guarantee I pay more than the vast majority of people already, just because I like a smoke?

Because you like a smoke.

Why should I pay for anything when I already pay for private health care as it is?

I... what?

#57 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:13 PM

I used to do the whole vaping thing. I had over a grand sunk into super e-cig's with interchangeable batteries that lasted 18 hours minimally and enough e-liquid to last years to come in all varieties of flavors. (Snickerdoodle Cookies was my favorite.) Then one day I forgot a spare battery and mine died on me while I was at work... So I bought a pack of smokes. I quit vaping after that, sold all my gear, and am still smoking the analogs. :p

#58 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:27 AM

After I created this thread I went back to analogs when my battery died and I didn't wanna wait for it to charge lol!
Starting yesterday I am using the e-cigarette again, the disposable nicotine free one this go.

#59 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:34 AM

After I created this thread I went back to analogs when my battery died and I didn't wanna wait for it to charge lol!
Starting yesterday I am using the e-cigarette again, the disposable nicotine free one this go.

Wait...what's the point if it's nicotine-free? I thought e-cigarettes were intended as a less harmful way to get your nicotine fix.

#60 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:38 AM

Wait...what's the point if it's nicotine-free? I thought e-cigarettes were intended as a less harmful way to get your nicotine fix.

Actually people can become addicted to the habit itself, having it in your hands, inhaling and exhaling, the smoke, numerous different things.
For me I am addicted to the nicotine, but I also am addicted to the habit of it, it's natural for me to have a cigarette in my hand in social situations.
This is an alternative to that. I didn't want to buy the ones with nicotine this time, because I don't want to replace one addiction with another. So far so good. Usually I am really irritable after not having a smoke for a few hours, especially when I'm on the phone, but so far I've been average.

Edit: Basically I am tricking my mind into thinking I am smoking, without actually putting nicotine into my body.

#61 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:40 AM

Actually people can become addicted to the habit itself, having it in your hands, inhaling and exhaling, the smoke, numerous different things.
For me I am addicted to the nicotine, but I also am addicted to the habit of it, it's natural for me to have a cigarette in my hand in social situations.
This is an alternative to that. I didn't want to buy the ones with nicotine this time, because I don't want to replace one addiction with another. So far so good. Usually I am really irritable after not having a smoke for a few hours, especially when I'm on the phone, but so far I've been average.

Edit: Basically I am tricking my mind into thinking I am smoking, without actually putting nicotine into my body.

Ah, that makes sense. Going (kinda) cold turkey is tough, good luck.

#62 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:41 AM

Ah, that makes sense. Going (kinda) cold turkey is tough, good luck.

Thank you! I tried doing it completely cold turkey and I had 11 days in before I caved and started again.
I was really disappointed in myself. It's just mind over matter but the addiction can be so powerful :c

I am hoping this little substitute helps this time around.

#63 Jakerz

Jakerz
  • 1764 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:52 PM

Lots of people at my work use these where smoking is not allowed, I was wondering what they were for the longest time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users