• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#26 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:12 AM

It was clearly implicit. Or your post was unsubstantial, which is another problem.

My post directly correlated to the post I had quoted.
You posting, "The fact that a lot of people do it doesn't at all make it okay. And it shouldn't change their opinion," did nothing to contribute to the conversation besides a failed attempt to belittle my post.
You're failing, give up.

#27 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:14 AM

You're both shit.
Fuck off.

#28 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:15 AM

When I see people smoking, I think they should be cut from all health benefits that are provided to them and they should wear a dunce hat. In short they don't have my respect.

Wow that's harsh. Do you think that people who are obese should have their health benefits cut too? Or people that ride motorcycles or play high-risk sports?

#29 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:16 AM

Wow that's harsh. Do you think that people who are obese should have their health benefits cut too? Or people that ride motorcycles or play high-risk sports?

...Yes?

#30 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:22 AM

...Yes?

Well, I disagree. People need vices, I think it's a case of pick your poison.

#31 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:26 AM

Well, I disagree. People need vices, I think it's a case of pick your poison.

Yes, people need vices. But they should pay accordingly for the consequences of their choices.

#32 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:29 AM

Yes, people need vices. But they should pay accordingly for the consequences of their choices.

They do.. by still dying of cancer despite the benefits.
Taking benefits away won't do jack shit if they are already dying .. :p

#33 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:30 AM

They do.. by still dying of cancer despite the benefits.
Taking benefits away won't do jack shit if they are already dying .. :p

Saves money.

#34 Dazz

Dazz
  • Musicyclopedia

• 3242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:30 AM

also all those that drink alcohol too right? It's legal and if people want to smoke then so be it, i'm not going to degrade them for doing what they want to with their life, whatever makes 'em happy right?

And @ Information, if you feel i should get absolutely no respect and should wear a dunce hat just for smoking then quite frankly you sir, suck. So Jimi Hendrix, Frank Sinatra...etc get absolutely no respect from you just because they smoked?

#35 Jewbert

Jewbert
  • 3387 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:53 AM

My boyfriend has one of the electronic cigarettes. It comes with a bottle of liquid that goes into the "cigarette" whenever it needs to be refilled. He got it as a gift and the flavor that came with it was Red Bull. It doesn't even look like a cigarette.

Anyway. He only smokes when he drinks, and he uses this as an alternative to cigarettes. He said after using it, he feels tons better. I'm not saying it's still good to use, but at least it doesn't make him feel like crap, stink, and in the long run it's soooo much cheaper. I don't think it has tar and other additives that are in normal cigarettes. (cancer causing stuff)

That's the one he has:
Posted Image

#36 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:52 PM

Saves money.

You don't understand economics then.

#37 onlyme

onlyme
  • I hate everyone.

• 4319 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:48 PM

the woman in that video looks like an alien.

#38 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:07 AM

the woman in that video looks like an alien.

You can tell that she smoked cigarettes for a long time, too.

The part where she holds up the "e-juice" and tells you that it contains water, flavoring and nicotine and then goes into the different concentrations of the nicotine available is creepy to me. It makes it feel so much more like a drug than a paper cigarette. I know that cigarettes are drugs so let's not get into that. But seeing that "e-juice" vial and listening to that blurb... it was off-putting (to me at least).

#39 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:36 AM

You don't understand economics then.

Are you saying that the taxation on cigarettes outweighs the cost to the NHS?

#40 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:52 AM

Are you saying that the taxation on cigarettes outweighs the cost to the NHS?

By a long-shot. Smoking related illnesses cost the NHS around £3.8 Billion in 2008, I remember because I had to do this for coursework at A-level, and taxes alone brought in around £6billion. Now I now this obviously doesn't cover people with private healthcare, but you also have to remember the taxes the companies pay, the tens of thousands of jobs created, and the taxes those people pay.

Then also bring into the equation smoking cessation products and the taxes paid on them, and well you have a very profitable sin tax, similar to alcohol.

#41 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:02 PM

But then, cutting smoking-related care from the NHS budget would save that £3.8 billion, but it wouldn't specifically cut the taxes from smoking.
Even if you halved the tax takings because of people quitting, there would still be an increase in revenue.

#42 beach3boy

beach3boy
  • 514 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:40 PM

I was so excited, and then it turned out this thread was about cigarettes. :(

I thought the exact same thing haha!!!

#43 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:52 PM

But then, cutting smoking-related care from the NHS budget would save that £3.8 billion, but it wouldn't specifically cut the taxes from smoking.
Even if you halved the tax takings because of people quitting, there would still be an increase in revenue.

So tax people who smoke, but make them pay extra for any illnesses?

#44 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:00 PM

Seems like being taxed to smoke + losing benefits/taxed for benefits would cause a lot of issues.

#45 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:05 PM

Seems like being taxed to smoke + losing benefits/taxed for benefits would cause a lot of issues.

No, people love being taxed.

#46 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:05 PM

No, people love being taxed.

Seem to recall being taught that the American Revolution was a result of people loving being taxed. :p

Seriously though, isn't the high tax (still rising tax) enough of an amercement?

#47 chini

chini
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:37 AM

I was so excited, and then it turned out this thread was about cigarettes. :(

Pretty much. I love my vaporizer.

#48 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:58 AM

Pretty much. I love my vaporizer.

Me too. What kind of vape do you have?

#49 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:20 AM

Any smoking-related illnesses. Use the money for treating non-voluntary issues.

#50 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:35 AM

Seriously though, isn't the high tax (still rising tax) enough of an amercement?

Has it stopped you? If we are going to regard the tax as a punishment then we should question its efficacy, which I don't think is very successful. I don't think the government is trying to tax people into quitting, more like they're exploiting addicts because they know you will continue to buy regardless of the price.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users