Tattoos and Society

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 ElBastardoVerde

ElBastardoVerde
  • Shitstorm

• 220 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:58 PM

I may be slightly biased because I do have many tattoos, but many employers are cracking down on people and their tattoos and it's becoming very difficult to get a job if you have them in exposed places. Even the military, which has always been pretty lenient, is forcing potential candidates for becoming officers to remove tattoos completely if they can't be hidden.

Tattooing is an ancient art form, and contrary to what people say, it isn't a fad or trend, and more than thugs and criminals get them. I've also seen and heard that people find other people with tattoos to be uneducated, which is quite infuriating. Why does putting a drawing on your skin seem to make you less of a person in some people's eyes? It's ridiculous.

How does Codex feel about tattoos?

And for fun, if you were the CEO of your own company, would you make a rule against people having exposed tattoos? If so, what would be acceptable and what wouldn't be acceptable?

#2 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:01 PM

I would review tattoos on a case-by-case basis. If they have "yolo" tattooed across their forehead, of course I won't employ them. But if they have a kitten on their forearm, it would add some charm.

#3 ElBastardoVerde

ElBastardoVerde
  • Shitstorm

• 220 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:07 PM

Well yeah, that is pretty dumb and tasteless, but if it was something more extreme, like a sleeve, would you still be so lenient?

#4 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

As a general rule I'm not a big fan of tattoos only because I don't like the idea of being 70 and having a wrinkly indistinguishable inky blob on your arm/back/hips whatever but to each to their own :)

I'd never get one but some of my friends have them.

Also I think the general perception is that people with, say, full 'sleeve' tattoos (I think this is what they're called) on their arms/legs get put into a certain category of people and then potential employers get an immediate negative impression due to the stigma attached to that group of people. I think this is especially if they also have a lot of or unusual piercings.

#5 ElBastardoVerde

ElBastardoVerde
  • Shitstorm

• 220 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:16 PM

Also I think the general perception is that people with, say, full 'sleeve' tattoos (I think this is what they're called) on their arms/legs get put into a certain category of people and then potential employers get an immediate negative impression due to the stigma attached to that group of people. I think this is especially if they also have a lot of or unusual piercings.

Okay, for the sake of this, let's just assume the job applicant doesn't have any gauges or facial piercings, just a tattoo sleeve. And for more fun, let's say he's what you think of when you hear the word geek. Glasses, normal clothes, not sagging his pants or anything. Would you still lump him in with all of the other people?

#6 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:21 PM

For the most part, I think it's unfair to discriminate against people for having visible tattoos unless the tattoos in question are overly vulgar or offensive. However, I do think it's unprofessional for people working in certain fields to have a ton of tattoos that can't be hidden, and people should take the fact that it may be more difficult to find a job into consideration before committing to getting inked up. I, personally, think tattoos can be beautiful and expressive, and I don't think I'd ever be interested in a profession in which tattoos might be viewed in a negative light.

#7 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:21 PM

Okay, for the sake of this, let's just assume the job applicant doesn't have any gauges or facial piercings, just a tattoo sleeve. And for more fun, let's say he's what you think of when you hear the word geek. Glasses, normal clothes, not sagging his pants or anything. Would you still lump him in with all of the other people?

Hmm I wouldn't personally but I still think most employers would still get a negative first impression. Then again the business world's a-changin and employers are looking for social skills and competency more than anything now (or so we've been told at school) and you'd hope that there wouldn't be any snap-judgements about someone with a sleeve. Unfortunately I don't think everyone's reached enlightenment yet!

#8 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:27 PM

I think that tasteful tattoos are fine though I don't blame businesses for not wanting people with a crap ton of body art working at their businesses.
It's kind of a case by case thing though.

That being said; I would get one of these *points down* tattoos if I ever get buff enough.
Spoiler

#9 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:30 PM

If I were a in charge at a company, I wouldn't care what tattoos people had... unless they were obscene, offensive, or they worked with customers face to face/skype/etc. A business is still a business and I would have to have customers to make money. I only have one tattoo that can't be covered by clothing, but I've never had to cover it up the way I've had to with the other ones.

#10 ElBastardoVerde

ElBastardoVerde
  • Shitstorm

• 220 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:32 PM

Then again the business world's a-changin and employers are looking for social skills and competency more than anything now

I've heard the same thing, and both of my previous jobs didn't have a problem with any of my tattoos. Both of them required me to wear a short sleeved shirt and I never once had any of my managers complain, I actually had questions about how painful they were, where I got the ideas from, etc. I've had one incident and that involved an older gentleman telling me that I looked like a moron and I'll regret it 10 years down the line. I then, in great detail, told him the story of why I got my tattoos and he left me alone, which I thought was cool.

That being said; I would get one of these *points down* tattoos if I ever get buff enough.

haha! That is ridiculously cool! I always enjoyed watching FMA because of him xP

#11 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:39 PM

haha! That is ridiculously cool! I always enjoyed watching FMA because of him xP

Hehehehehe.
I'm a hardcore fan xD
I really wanna cosplay as Scar one day :D

That being said, I hope it doesn't hamper my job chances if I do get that tattoo :L

#12 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:47 PM

Hehehehehe.
I'm a hardcore fan xD
I really wanna cosplay as Scar one day :D

That being said, I hope it doesn't hamper my job chances if I do get that tattoo :L

Posted Image

?

#13 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:47 PM

It really depends on where you work. I work in a pharmacy and when I go to meetings there is always this other tech who has her hair dyed clown red and has Nightmare Before Christmas tattoos and she is always whining about how customers treat her like crap. Honestly, it's because she LOOKS like crap. I personally wouldn't want my medication filled by someone who looks like they fuckin' have hepatitis.

I am not the most upright, follow the rules type of worker. I don't see problems with multi-colored hair, or tattoos or facial piercings in the work-place. As long as you look clean and do your fucking job, who cares. But on the other hand, just because you have a goddamn elaborate rose garden with your baby daddy's name tattooed across your tits, doesn't mean you have to share it with the world.

#14 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:51 PM

Posted Image

?

what...is...that?!
It's hideous! :o

#15 ElBastardoVerde

ElBastardoVerde
  • Shitstorm

• 220 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:52 PM

I am not the most upright, follow the rules type of worker. I don't see problems with multi-colored hair, or tattoos or facial piercings in the work-place. As long as you look clean and do your fucking job, who cares. But on the other hand, just because you have a goddamn elaborate rose garden with your baby daddy's name tattooed across your tits, doesn't mean you have to share it with the world.

I'm in complete agreeance, some people really couple a lot of things together and look like they should be working in hot topic and not a professional place i.e a pharmacy. I believe that's why people didn't have a problem with my tattoos, because I looked neat and am able to effectively communicate without much slang. I've worked with quite a few people that are tattooed quite a bit and they're some of the smartest people I've met thus far.

Not to be a dick or anything, but I believe that as the older generations begin to die off (Everyone before the 70s), tattoos/piercings/dyed hair will not be such a problem because it is so common now-a-days. The world is becoming more of a liberal place and as long as nothing is affecting the way you live then it won't be a problem.

#16 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:52 PM

what...is...that?!
It's hideous! :o

Scar cosplay!
Posted Image

#17 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:57 PM

Scar cosplay!
Posted Image

*facepalm*
Posted Image

this one xD

#18 ElBastardoVerde

ElBastardoVerde
  • Shitstorm

• 220 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:00 PM

i c wut he did thar

#19 yeah

yeah
  • 260 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:09 PM

Basically what's already been said... I think tattoos are cool and I want one. However, in a 'serious' workplace where you're dealing with people, especially people that need to be impressed or feel comfortable, it may not be the best idea to hire a person with uncoverable tats, especially neck/facial ones. Sleeves aren't a big deal.

Scar cosplay!
Posted Image

yes

#20 Jakerz

Jakerz
  • 1764 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:25 PM

To me it actually seems companies are becoming more relaxed when it comes to people with tattoos, probably because there has been a huge increase in people getting tattoos lately. Like others have said if I had my own company It would depend on the tattoos the individual had and where they were

#21 ElBastardoVerde

ElBastardoVerde
  • Shitstorm

• 220 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:06 PM

I wonder why neck/hand tattoos are automatic nos for every job. Is it because you can't cover those?

#22 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:13 PM

I wonder why neck/hand tattoos are automatic nos for every job. Is it because you can't cover those?

That, and they look fucking stupid.

#23 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:13 PM

Yeah, I think that's what a lot of companies think. My one that I've never been asked to cover is in my ear.

#24 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:15 PM

Yeah, I think that's what a lot of companies think. My one that I've never been asked to cover is in my ear.

That's cause it looks like a birthmark unless you're closely inspecting it.

#25 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:16 PM

That's cause it looks like a birthmark unless you're closely inspecting it.

It did used to. It's looked like a tattoo up until last year. (Note to people who don't have ear tattoos: they fade and bleed.)

Could I get skin color tattooed around it to make it not look like that?

Edited by Napiform, 19 June 2012 - 06:17 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users