Photo

Tattoos and Society

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#26 Suou

Suou
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:05 AM

This is a topic that's always totally fascinated me. I used to go to a pretty prestigious school and more or less everyone I knew there had all sorts of tattoos - most related to their field of study (for example, my RA was a chemistry major and he had drawings of his favorite molecules tattooed all over himself. Molecules were popular.).

In my current field, a huge number of people have tattoos of a leaf from their favorite tree or a fruit or something military-related (we get a lot of veterans for some reason.).

Personally I don't have any tattoos but have contemplated getting some sort of simple pattern on my arms to cover up some scars. I don't know which is more taboo. I do have a shitload of piercings and have been scolded for them any number of times by people who told me that I would never get a job ever if I wore all of that jewelry.

If I were the employer in question, it would be a matter of tastefulness as others have mentioned. If you've got a racist slur or something, I'm not going to be very receptive to that. But if it's something like a zodiac sign, a flower, a fish, a sports logo, a character, a religious symbol, a name, etc., regardless of its location I won't particularly mind.

I agree with what someone else said about older generations dying off. Of course there are still some conservative young people out there, but in general I do believe that people are heading toward acceptance more and more. Tattoos aren't necessarily a sign of incompetence and they're becoming so common that we'll probably reach some kind of breaking point: how well can a business survive if more and more skilful prospects have an "unprofessional" appearance?

Either the criteria for a "professional" appearance is going to have to change, or businesses are going to have to go through so much effort to find candidates that fit their standards that being so selective probably won't even be worthwhile.

Unless of course the primary demographic for their services is old-ass people.

#27 IcedEarth

IcedEarth
  • 724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:35 AM

I've also seen and heard that people find other people with tattoos to be uneducated, which is quite infuriating. Why does putting a drawing on your skin seem to make you less of a person in some people's eyes? It's ridiculous.

I hear that too, unfortunately that is the society we live in. Being an art fan, I love tattoos and have no problem with people getting them.

For the most part, I think it's unfair to discriminate against people for having visible tattoos unless the tattoos in question are overly vulgar or offensive. However, I do think it's unprofessional for people working in certain fields to have a ton of tattoos that can't be hidden, and people should take the fact that it may be more difficult to find a job into consideration before committing to getting inked up. I, personally, think tattoos can be beautiful and expressive, and I don't think I'd ever be interested in a profession in which tattoos might be viewed in a negative light.

I agree with you totally.

#28 Lasciel

Lasciel
  • 140 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:15 AM

Somehow I get the feeling that no matter how chillax a boss is, he will never really dig his employees having any visible tattoo. He might put up with it but he won't dig it, no matter how unvulgar or small it is. A tattoo, no matter what it is, is a tattoo, and a tattoo itself comes with the typical ideas of this person being a self-destructive rebel who may be involved in the type of bad company that encourages body modifications as a sign of toughness etc... I find it really sad because I like my tattoos and I would like not to have to hide them or worry that my bosses or clients will see me as the person I just described, because some people with tattoos are that way, there're lots of other people like me who aren't, and people really should remember that there ARE such differences among people with tattoos.
I mean, unless the tattoos are very realistic-looking skulls, bloodied gaping wounds, daggers, demons all over and what not (which may or may not then give cause to believe the person might be kinda disturbed), people should just accept that people get tattoos to commemorate something important to them, and giving it a permanent place on one's body means that it is that important to the person, that's all.
The only thing I might mind if I were an employer myself, is a tattoo on the hands or face. Only because those are the first points of contact a person has with another, and because the other person is sure to become wary immediately, I would say no to anyone with tattoos on the face. If it was on the hands, it's ok if it's almost not visible, or if it's under the wrist (somehow that feels ok to me), but not if it was across the top of the fingers or top of the palm. I myself have a letter D on the top of my wrist, it is obvious and not easy at all to hide because watches and bracelets slide down and leave it exposed. I think it's totally harmless, just a letter for my name that's all, but I don't know what employers see, or if they'd mind when they saw it. I've made sure to cover it at every interview, but you can't cover things like that forever.

#29 CaramelPudding

CaramelPudding
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:44 AM

I have a tattoo of a specific logo commonly associated with the Illuminutty in a fairly prominent area. I hide that during work hours because it frightens a few of my more religiously-minded and superstitiously-minded colleagues. I have a tattoo of the logo of an obscure heavy metal band riiiiight on my wrist. My boss doesn't care, my CEO doesn't care, and none of my coworkers care. It's exposed every single day and I'm treated no differently for it. I'm planning a tattoo of an Egyptian God and the Pyramid of Giza that will extend up onto my neck, and my boss has already given me the "I don't give a fuck" approval.

Mind you, I work in IT. We're hermits with no contact with the outside world, wheeeee.

#30 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:59 AM

I think that a person with visible tattoos can prove themselves to be a valuable asset to a company. They may have some first-impression issues to get over, but they should understand this because they're the one with the tattoos. If they are awesome, intelligent, and easy to work with then the boss will probably get over it. Unless the boss is just an uptight asshole, in which case I probably wouldn't want to work with them anyway.

Tattoos + not stellar work ethic + slow learner... well of course that isn't going to go over well, but the tattoos are just the icing on the cake.

#31 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:04 AM

I've never really understood the point of tattoos but I am looking forward to the time where we'll have old aged pensioners walking around with things like Playboy tattoos and 'tramp stamps'.

#32 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:09 AM

I've never really understood the point of tattoos but I am looking forward to the time where we'll have old aged pensioners walking around with things like Playboy tattoos and 'tramp stamps'.

I would bet good money that there are already some old people with these types of tattoos.

#33 Suou

Suou
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:17 AM

I've met some inked up old folks and when asked about it they said they didn't regret it. There seems to be a point where a tattoo is considered almost as a body part or something as natural as a freckle or a birthmark. It's a part of their body that they're proud of, even if it is all wrinkly and such.

I think that's totally badass.

#34 IcedEarth

IcedEarth
  • 724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:12 AM

To wear art :p

A lot of people get tattoos that symbolise things or reminds them of something. Personally I like them for the art, I have one tattoo and it has no meaning I just like how it looks.

#35 ElBastardoVerde

ElBastardoVerde
  • Shitstorm

• 220 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:39 AM

Yeah, I do it for the art and the stories behind each tattoo.

Plus, I think werewolves are totally badass, so I got one. yeahhh boy.

#36 IcedEarth

IcedEarth
  • 724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:44 AM

Yeah, I do it for the art and the stories behind each tattoo.

Plus, I think werewolves are totally badass, so I got one. yeahhh boy.

Lol, what's the story behind your werewolf tattoo?

#37 ElBastardoVerde

ElBastardoVerde
  • Shitstorm

• 220 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:46 PM

Lol, what's the story behind your werewolf tattoo?

It's kinda lame, but I got messed with really badly while I was in elementary/middle school to the point where I developed anger management problems and it almost felt like there was another person living inside of me, and I always joked it was a werewolf, cause, y'know, they're dicks.

So I got a werewolf. Here it is v

Spoiler

#38 Warpclaw

Warpclaw
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:17 AM

Tbh, people with tons of tattoos disgust me =/

#39 ElBastardoVerde

ElBastardoVerde
  • Shitstorm

• 220 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:42 AM

Any particular reason?

#40 IcedEarth

IcedEarth
  • 724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:48 AM

It's kinda lame, but I got messed with really badly while I was in elementary/middle school to the point where I developed anger management problems and it almost felt like there was another person living inside of me, and I always joked it was a werewolf, cause, y'know, they're dicks.

So I got a werewolf. Here it is v

Looks real cool man.

#41 ElBastardoVerde

ElBastardoVerde
  • Shitstorm

• 220 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:56 AM

Looks real cool man.

Thank you.

#42 travis

travis
  • 5408 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:41 PM

I've got four and will be working on getting more - currently one across my collar bone, one on my back, and one on each forearm. My next piece is a quarter sleeve on my right forearm.

All of my past employers have been very laxed with tattoos, but I have never worked in an office or direct customer service environment since I've had them.

Even though I'm receptive to ink, I still disapprove of gang related and profane tattoos. Ink on attractive women is such a turn on.

#43 Chappy

Chappy
  • Cat Savage

• 2341 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:00 PM

I personally can't stand needles, so I may be a tad bit bias.
I think as long as it's not on your face and neck area its all good. I really think society categorizes people right from the beginning so tattoos usually have a negative point of approval.
Hey some are really cool, but I think if you get a higher position like manager, society wants you to be a certain way and I believe they prefer tattoos covered.
For girls I think there's more judgement towards them. (Not a feminist) but men can get away with tattoos as manly XD
All in all, I think there should be some cover up when going to work. ;/ or when there's person to customer. Just so the customer doesn't judge.

#44 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:48 AM

Tattoos are brilliant. They make it so much easier to point out the idiots.

#45 ElBastardoVerde

ElBastardoVerde
  • Shitstorm

• 220 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:22 PM

That wasn't very nice, Frizzle :b Putting art on your skin makes you an idiot?

#46 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:36 PM

Yup. Permanently putting ink into your skin is stupid.

#47 ElBastardoVerde

ElBastardoVerde
  • Shitstorm

• 220 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:07 PM

I respectfully disagree, but I appreciate the input.

#48 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:07 AM

I'll just put this here ;)
Spoiler

#49 onlyme

onlyme
  • I hate everyone.

• 4319 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:10 AM

I only have a tiny tatoo (yet) so that never really was an issue for me. But I have a face full of piercings, which I refuse to take out, that kind of was a problem in some jobs I did.
When I worked with old people for example. They wanted me to take them out. I didn't and they hired me anyway. Some old people were interested, others shook their head and others ran away from me.
I think it's stupid to even think about treating tatooed or pierced people differently. It's your body after all and you can do with it whatever you want. If people don't like tattoos, fine, that's their personal taste. I don't like suit wearing douchebags with gelled hair either.
Oh I just remembered, that I got my most lucrative job so far, when I had green hair. I wrote for a local newespaper and whenever I showed up somewhere, I had to show my press card, because people didn't believe me I really work for them. Lol.

#50 Guest_idonotexist_*

Guest_idonotexist_*

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:24 AM

I think the bias against tattoos is ridiculous.

I only have one, and it's on my ribcage, so you can't see it.
But places such as restaurants won't hire anyone with visible tattoos EVEN if you can and agree to cover them up.
The only time I believe they should be an issue is if it is of something offensive or that could be deemed inappropriate.

Tattoos in no way reflect my ability or experience as an Administrative Assistant. So if I want to get my zodiac on my wrist, I don't see why I shouldn't be given a job because of it.

You can cover almost any tattoo with makeup, some they make specifically for that reason; to cover it for work.
Wrist tattoos can be covered with wrist bands or ace-bandages.

Office environments are pretty strict about tattoos (especially if you have contact with customers / clients) but retail environments are usually very lax. Old Navy doesn't care about piercings or tattoos. They believe in individuality allows for a better and happier employee.

I think the stigma against tattoos is a bit silly. While I do agree that some people go overboard and it's distracting but having a few small tattoos that might be visible if you look hard enough isn't a big deal IMO.

Edited by Gorix, 22 March 2013 - 12:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users