Quantcast

Photo

Alodielle's Easy Event Pop-up Alarm (Windows)

alarm event events alarms

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Alodielle

Alodielle
  • 144 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:33 PM

Ever wanted to be reminded that two hours have passed and you can spin the Wheel of Excitement again? Interested in being prompted when the Snowager is awake?

There are a lot of alarm programs out there, both for your operating system and for your browser of choice. But if you're like me, you just want something simple and fast that does the job you need done. This is a very easy-to-install/-use pop-up alarm system that I use. It should work on Windows XP and up (sorry, Mac users -- I don't have anything for you! :().
  • Open up Notepad or Notepad++.
  • Paste in the following:

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")    
    If WScript.Arguments.length < 2 Then    
    WScript.Echo "Usage: alarm <time-in-minutes> <message>"    
    Else    
    WScript.Sleep WScript.Arguments.Item(0) * 60 * 1000    
    msg = ""    
    For i = 1 to WScript.Arguments.Count - 1    
    msg = msg + WScript.Arguments.Item(i) + " "    
    Next    
    WshShell.Popup msg, -1, "Alarm", 64    
    End If

• Save it to your desktop as "alarm.vbs" (without the quotation marks). Make sure that when you're saving it, you change the "File Type" drop-down to say "All Types" or it will automatically save it as just a text file, which won't work for you. See below:

Posted Image
  • Close Notepad/Notepad++.
  • Hit the "Start" button or "Windows" key on your keyboard, then type in "C:\Windows" (without the quotation marks) in the "Search" box at the bottom and hit "Enter" on your keyboard. This should open the Windows folder. (You can also just navigate to this folder in any Windows Explorer window.)

Posted Image
  • Minimize all other windows so that you can see your desktop and the "alarm.vbs" file you put there. Bring up the "C:\Windows" folder and make sure it's not maximized; you need to be able to see both the alarm file and the folder simultaneously:

Posted Image
  • Drag "alarm.vbs" into the "C:\Windows" folder. It will probably ask you to confirm your action; say yes/okay.
You're done installing it! Now, to use it:
  • Hit the "Start" button or "Windows" key on your keyboard, then type "cmd" (without the quotation marks) in the "Search" box at the bottom and hit "Enter" on your keyboard. You'll see this:

Posted Image
  • The format for using the alarm is "alarm #mins message". So if I wanted the alarm to tell me in an hour and a half (1.5 hours = 90 minutes) that the Snowager is asleep, I would type:

Posted Image
  • After you've typed in your command, hit "Enter" on your keyboard.

That's it! You can X out of the command (CMD) window -- the alarm will still run. When the time has counted down to zero, a little pop-up box with your message will appear:

Posted Image

You can enter as many alarms as you want to at a time; there's no limit. I myself set an alarm every time I spin a wheel (Excitement, Mediocrity, and Slime) to let myself know when I can spin again. I also set it just after I start a pet's training to let me know when he/she will be done and ready to start their next course.

Enjoy!

Edited by Alodielle, 26 June 2012 - 01:36 PM.

#2 Neoquest

Neoquest
  • 1760 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:38 PM

Nice! I will totally use this when I'm training my pet legit. :D

Edit: It would be really great if that alarm opened up on top of your current open stuff, instead of just glowing in the taskbar if you have other things open. Is there any way you make it function like this?

Edited by Neoquest, 26 June 2012 - 01:47 PM.

#3 Alodielle

Alodielle
  • 144 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:56 PM

That's odd -- it pops up on top for me. It could be that if you're clicking on something in your browser at the very moment it pops up, it will be pushed behind it. If you can, test that out and let me know. I can try to find a solution.

#4 Neoquest

Neoquest
  • 1760 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:16 PM

That's odd -- it pops up on top for me. It could be that if you're clicking on something in your browser at the very moment it pops up, it will be pushed behind it. If you can, test that out and let me know. I can try to find a solution.

Nope, I wasn't, it starts out behind everything. I've tested it twice now.

Edited by Neoquest, 26 June 2012 - 02:17 PM.

#5 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:20 PM

AWESOME!
I will DEF be using this!

Thank you very much :3

#6 Alodielle

Alodielle
  • 144 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:33 PM

Neoquest, I've seen it happen to me once or twice today, actually, now that I think of it. I'll keep looking for a fix!

Ivysaur, glad you find it useful! :D

#7 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

AHHH!!! I LOVE THIS!!! I wanted this for those goddamned wheels and other time based stuff. Thanks a bunch Alodielle!

#8 Alodielle

Alodielle
  • 144 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:14 PM

AHHH!!! I LOVE THIS!!! I wanted this for those goddamned wheels and other time based stuff. Thanks a bunch Alodielle!

You're welcome! Wow, I'm so glad some people are liking it! :D

#9 Shwag

Shwag
  • 274 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:27 AM

Very nice. Just joined the community and already contributing very well. Excellent idea for an alarm system. Good work!

#10 Alodielle

Alodielle
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:01 PM

Very nice. Just joined the community and already contributing very well. Excellent idea for an alarm system. Good work!

Thank you so much! I'm very excited to have found this community. I'd love to become a major contributor!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users