Bad Vaccine Reactions/Side Effects

tdap medicine drugs vaccine

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Indigo

Indigo
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:27 PM

I got my adult tetanus shot last week {first shot since 2004}. It's the adult TDAP, which has the vaccine for tetanus {a funny word} and pertussis/whooping cough. I had a pretty bad reaction to it. The first day was fine, but after that things started going downhill up until earlier yesterday.

It was a shot in the upper arm, totally painless, until the second day, when it began to get really sore and tender {like a bruise}. This is a normal side effect that I had anticipated. However, I also got an intense sinus infection {read=very bad} that has lasted up until basically tonight, where the symptoms are especially aggravated BECAUSE CALIFORNIA/105 degree weather everyday. Stuffy/runny nose, water in my eyes, no sneezing. Had nausea, stomachaches and fatigue. As well as this, I've had strange dreams and late night hallucinations the past 4 nights that I feel are related, as I've never had them before and they've appeared seemingly out of nowhere. Consequently, it's been hard to fall asleep.

I've had another bad reaction to the flu shot, which I think I got in 2002 or whenever it was really really popular to get one. I got the flu. Very bad. Luckily for me, never had the flu or flu shot since. I'm not allergic to any medication or common medical stuff, but I guess I am a magnet for vaccine side effects.

I found out that reactions such as this for TDAP are pretty abnormal {especially the dreams and hallucinations} but definitely possible. Has anyone else ever had a bad/similar reaction to a vaccination?

#2 Nalah

Nalah
  • Can't hug every cat

• 555 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:32 PM

Woah! I've never had anything that bad, normally I just faint for a while, then I'm fine. Are you sure you aren't allergic to anything though? Something must be causing the side affects...you don't take other drugs/meds do you?

#3 Indigo

Indigo
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:34 PM

Woah! I've never had anything that bad, normally I just faint for a while, then I'm fine. Are you sure you aren't allergic to anything though? Something must be causing the side affects...you don't take other drugs/meds do you?

Nope, don't even take supplements. It sucks, since I don't even know what the hell caused it. I was totally fine the week before. My blood pressure had actually improved when I got it checked before the shot. No high cholesterol, no diabetes risk, no anemia.

I can chalk up the sinus infection to a possible weakening of my immune system, or the fact that hospitals are dirty and I caught something there. But everything else is new to me and a bit scary.

Edited by Indigo, 12 July 2012 - 11:36 PM.

#4 Sage

Sage
  • 692 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:40 PM

My cat actually acted like he'd broken his leg after he got his feline distemper shot a year ago. He was also hot to the touch and generally very woozy for about a week. Poor bugger.

It's entirely possible you're having an allergic reaction, or just a stronger one than the usual. You should consider a proper allergy testing with a focus in medical allergies, just to be sure. Something like that could easily kill you if it's not known ahead of time.

Edited by Sage, 12 July 2012 - 11:41 PM.

#5 Elle

Elle
  • ShadowLink64's Rebel

• 894 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:45 PM

Fever is a relatively common side effect of certain vaccinations. If you were cold/ fluey and had a fever, that could be the reason for your strange dreams/ hallucinations.

#6 Indigo

Indigo
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:47 PM

My cat actually acted like he'd broken his leg after he got his feline distemper shot a year ago. He was also hot to the touch and generally very woozy for about a week. Poor bugger.

It's entirely possible you're having an allergic reaction, or just a stronger one than the usual. You should consider a proper allergy testing with a focus in medical allergies, just to be sure. Something like that could easily kill you if it's not known ahead of time.

Shit, bro. I guess I'll have to make another appointment to make sure I'm not on the highway to hell. :o

Fever is a relatively common side effect of certain vaccinations. If you were cold/ fluey and had a fever, that could be the reason for your strange dreams/ hallucinations.

This makes sense, although I don't think I got a fever. My head was warm {is this a reliable gauge or a wive's tale, btw?} but not hot. Although admittedly it;s been damn near 100 degrees in the house at night so that could do it I suppose. Raise my body temperature. I've been under a lot of physical stress.

#7 Sage

Sage
  • 692 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:49 PM

My head was warm {is this a reliable gauge or a wive's tale, btw?} but not hot.

It's a better gauge if you let someone else do it for you.

#8 Indigo

Indigo
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:51 PM

It's a better gauge if you let someone else do it for you.

Yeah, had me and my significant try it and just felt warm, probably cuz of the heat.

#9 MEGAKICK

MEGAKICK
  • 75 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:13 AM

I actually just had my TDAP boosters two weeks ago and experiences similar symptoms in the OP. Bruised, swollen arm, lethargy, lack of concentration/focus, nausea, overall just a shitty time. I thought I was well enough to drive two days later... Boy was I wrong, never had I actually been scared of driving but this time... Yeah. Almost ran a red light and would have t-boned some dude turning.

Never had issues with vaccinations, don't know why this time was so different... Then again, I did have blood taken for some work minutes prior to receiving the shot. I'm sure that played a role in all of this

Edited by MEGAKICK, 13 July 2012 - 06:15 AM.

#10 Jiayu

Jiayu
  • 177 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:24 AM

I got a flu vaccine for the first time last fall, and for the next couple months I had allergy symptoms (I normally have some allergies in the spring, but never in the fall until then). It was rather strange. Still wasn't nearly as bad as what you describe though...

I need to get vaccines before I go to China in a few months (Polio booster, Hepatitis, etc.). I hope I don't have any severe symptoms like you did. That really sucks.

#11 Indigo

Indigo
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:17 AM

I actually just had my TDAP boosters two weeks ago and experiences similar symptoms in the OP. Bruised, swollen arm, lethargy, lack of concentration/focus, nausea, overall just a shitty time. I thought I was well enough to drive two days later... Boy was I wrong, never had I actually been scared of driving but this time... Yeah. Almost ran a red light and would have t-boned some dude turning.

Never had issues with vaccinations, don't know why this time was so different... Then again, I did have blood taken for some work minutes prior to receiving the shot. I'm sure that played a role in all of this

I got a flu vaccine for the first time last fall, and for the next couple months I had allergy symptoms (I normally have some allergies in the spring, but never in the fall until then). It was rather strange. Still wasn't nearly as bad as what you describe though...

I need to get vaccines before I go to China in a few months (Polio booster, Hepatitis, etc.). I hope I don't have any severe symptoms like you did. That really sucks.

It is a new shot, apparently, since it has the vaccine for whooping cough as well and I think I read that in the little description paper they gave me before the shot. Maybe that has to do with all the weird shit going on. I'm gunna get an allergy test to see if I'm allergic to anything that was in it or perhaps something else that triggered my symptoms.

#12 Indigo

Indigo
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:24 PM

I have had everything from flu to smallpox vaccines and some of the shots scarred the tissue for life. Bubbles the skin up that was injected and scars. :/

I hate western medicine! It's OUT TO GET ME!!! >.<

#13 Jakerz

Jakerz
  • 1764 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:21 PM

I don't get any vaccines that I don't have to for that exact reason.. never had the flu shot in my life.. and oddly enough have never really had the flu

#14 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:32 PM

I've never had any reactions to shots besides bad bruises. But the first time I ever had codeine I had a horrible reaction to it and stayed the night in the ER. :( Wasn't fun. At least I know now I'm allergic to it..

#15 Indigo

Indigo
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:37 PM

I've never had any reactions to shots besides bad bruises. But the first time I ever had codeine I had a horrible reaction to it and stayed the night in the ER. :( Wasn't fun. At least I know now I'm allergic to it..

When I was in the hospital after getting hit by a car I got a big dose of morphine and it pretty much paralyzed me for a good couple minutes. On top of that, I was flipping out because there was pain all over my body. I've never felt anything that painful before.

I feel like I'm a tough gal but my body hates the hospital.

#16 bringerlight

bringerlight
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:22 AM

I got the small pox vaccine but that didnt have a bad effect on me.

#17 MishaZheleza

MishaZheleza
  • Iron Mouse

• 68 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

I'm very anemic. Any vaccine I get usually reacts very poorly with me. I get dizzy, faint, and for some reason my iron count gets very low. Sadly, I am also very sickly, so I need the vaccines, otherwise I'll end up with all these flus and such. I've caught Swine Flu and the Norovirus, which was honestly three weeks of hell for each of them.

#18 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:01 PM

I got DTAP last year and I thought my arm was going to fall off. I also felt like shit, headache, lethargic, groggy, thoughtless, etc... I also had a baby two days prior though, so I blamed it on that.

I've never had the flu shot. I've also never had the flu.

#19 Hummingway

Hummingway
  • 433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

Eech. That sounds awful guys Dx I've personally gotten extremely faint and shaky. Anemia is not fun :(

On another note, how long do you reckon before someone comes in claiming they got autism from vaccines...

#20 Mex

Mex
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:14 AM

It's the adult TDAP, which has the vaccine for tetanus {a funny word} and pertussis/whooping cough.

In Spanish it is funnier. TĆ©tanos. Teta = Titty. Anos = anuses. I'll get a titty-anuses shot.

#21 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:32 AM

This may or may not be relevant, but I think it is.

I got two of my extremely behind vaccine schedule children vaccinated a couple weeks ago. The oldest complained of her arm hurting the next day and that was it. The littlest monster got a little more. She was fine for day 1. Days 2-5 she had a fever between 100-103, with stuffy nose, watery gross eyes, and she was pulling on her ear in an ear infection kind of way. I'm also assuming she had an excruciating headache, because she would hold her head and cry and when she wasn't crying, if you touched her head, she would burst into tears. Day 6 she shat and shat some more. Day 7, she had a rash around her face. Within 3 hours of her starting the rash, it was all over her face, neck, and the front and back of her torso. Day 8, the rash had spread to cover her arms, legs, and the tops of hands and feet. Day 9 the rash had gone from being 'spots' to melding together into 'blotches'. Day 10, she was totally better and a happy bubbly baby like it never happened.

She was the only one to get sick.

#22 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:43 AM

This may or may not be relevant, but I think it is.

I got two of my extremely behind vaccine schedule children vaccinated a couple weeks ago. The oldest complained of her arm hurting the next day and that was it. The littlest monster got a little more. She was fine for day 1. Days 2-5 she had a fever between 100-103, with stuffy nose, watery gross eyes, and she was pulling on her ear in an ear infection kind of way. I'm also assuming she had an excruciating headache, because she would hold her head and cry and when she wasn't crying, if you touched her head, she would burst into tears. Day 6 she shat and shat some more. Day 7, she had a rash around her face. Within 3 hours of her starting the rash, it was all over her face, neck, and the front and back of her torso. Day 8, the rash had spread to cover her arms, legs, and the tops of hands and feet. Day 9 the rash had gone from being 'spots' to melding together into 'blotches'. Day 10, she was totally better and a happy bubbly baby like it never happened.

She was the only one to get sick.

Might that have something to do with he fact that they were extremely behind schedule?

#23 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:45 AM

Might that have something to do with he fact that they were extremely behind schedule?

How?

#24 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:52 AM

How?

I don't know, I'm not a doctor. But if they got more vaccinations at once than normal, I would think they'd have an increased risk of falling ill?

#25 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:56 AM

I don't know, I'm not a doctor. But if they got more vaccinations at once than normal, I would think they'd have an increased risk of falling ill?

They didn't. Same amount of vaccines as they would have normally had, since it's the first round.

I was just saying they were severely behind in the interest of full disclosure. I mean, she could've contracted something that could've been prevented by vaccine prior to being vaccinated. I'm inclined to believe that isn't true, since vaccinations are used for super contagious things and her sister didn't get sick. It could also be totally unrelated to vaccinations. I'm not a doctor either.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users