Quantcast

Photo

Should Schools Start Teaching Meditation to Students?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Schools Start Teaching Meditation to Students? (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Schools Start Teaching Meditation to Students?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 tri

tri
  • Banned from trading - Do not trade with this user

• 1133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:43 AM

I just read this: http://ca.shine.yaho...m-near-you.html

I find this useless. If I were to learn how to meditate it would be during our gym time. We already learn Yoga which is boring. Man I hope this is not brought to my school.

What do you think about this? If you say yes why did you and if you said no why did you?

Anyway my answer is no. I do not know how it will benefit me or anyone else and personally I would rather be doing math then this.

#2 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:50 AM

What kind of teenager is going to sit still and meditate for an entire period? I can't think of one person at my school who would do this. My school does yoga as well, and I would hate to have to do this (as it's boring as was sated before).

I rather like learning and would rather be doing something productive, like being in Science class, than trying to sit still and mediate for a 47 minute gym period (that's how long periods are at my school).

#3 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:51 AM

Schools should be teaching children a lot of things. What they do teach them is another story.

#4 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:05 AM

No, parents should be teaching their children skills like introspection and meditation.
But they mostly don't, so schools try to pick up the slack where they can, in an already absurdly overcrowded curriculum.

Can you imagine a school where every student valued meditation?

#5 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

Can you imagine a MONASTERY where every student valued meditation?

It would be very interesting to see how the children of such an institution behaved and developed compared to those of other school systems; public or private.

#6 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

They should give more time to physical exercise and nutrition in order to reduce the amount of fatties.

#7 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:09 AM

It would be very interesting to see how the children of such an institution behaved and developed compared to those of other school systems; public or private.

Why did you edit my post in your quote? Meditation doesn't imply a religious institution at all.

#8 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:18 AM

It was a joke about something I had said in IRC the other day. Stereotyping and not implying religious affiliation that's all. lol

#9 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:19 AM

It was a joke about something I had said in IRC the other day. Stereotyping and not implying religious affiliation that's all. lol

Maybe next time share the joke with someone who was there.

#10 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:28 AM

Meditation ≠ Prayer
Though I still consider it a waste of time that can be spent on teaching much more worthwhile subjects and/or fixing this country's graduation rates.

Edited by Ivysaur, 26 August 2012 - 11:28 AM.

#11 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:34 AM

*shrugs*

Pretty sure it was when you were in IRC the other day.

#12 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:37 AM

Though I still consider it a waste of time that can be spent on teaching much more worthwhile subjects and/or fixing this country's graduation rates.

You're already spending time on those subjects... Time isn't the problem. It's attitude.

#13 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:39 AM

You're already spending time on those subjects... Time isn't the problem. It's attitude.

noted.

Edited by Ivysaur, 26 August 2012 - 11:40 AM.

#14 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:32 PM

I don't know that it's necessarily parents that need to teach introspection and meditation. Certainly they're involved. But it's not quite the same as reinforcing that your child knows their multiplication tables, or their reading comprehension.

That's sort of a specialized skillset. It's hard to teach it well in a school. What subject would introspection and critical thinking fall under... english? Philosophy? My debate classes were pretty close I guess. It's not like there's any more money to be spent there though. Most school districts won't even pay for science equipment to be fully funded, let alone the "liberal arts."

Pretty critical stuff if you ask me. But I guess that's what a "social science" major would say.

#15 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:39 PM

I think it's good to recognize in a physical education class, but shouldn't necessarily be a substantial part of the curriculum.

#16 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:41 PM

I don't see anything wrong with taking two or three minutes at the beginning of the day to do a little guided meditation before class begins. In America, we do this in the time that we force everyone to stand up and recite the Pledge of Allegiance every day.

I wouldn't necessarily make a class out of it, or add it to the curriculum, but reinforcing the benefits of mental focus and clarity in this age where children are constantly overloaded with stimuli at school and at home could be done relatively easily with just a few changes to how teachers run their classrooms, their own attitudes, and the suggestions that they make to their students throughout the day.

#17 Juturna

Juturna
  • 400 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:46 PM

I don't see anything wrong with taking two or three minutes at the beginning of the day to do a little guided meditation before class begins. In America, we do this in the time that we force everyone to stand up and recite the Pledge of Allegiance every day.

Do we do this at my school? I don't think we do. At all. Or if we do it's extremely rare to the point where I don't remember it.

But yes, I'll very much agree with Nymph's point, as generally as a society, tend to be too busy for our own good, and teaching a bit of this and it's value for just a small amount of time, is probably not a bad idea.

#18 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:48 PM

There is an elementary school in Rogers, AR of all places that has "quiet time" which is more or less what that is. They sit down and reflect for 3-4 minutes, it's not really guided but they do it several times throughout the day and it is their method of time out for misbehavior.

#19 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:51 PM

Do we do this at my school? I don't think we do. At all. Or if we do it's extremely rare to the point where I don't remember it.

We did it at every public school I attended up until high school. During high school, we spent 10 minutes at the beginning of the day watching people from the AV club make the announcements on the school's CCTV channel. I'm sure not every school in America does this, but it's pretty much a staple in public elementary schools around the country from my observation.

#20 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:52 PM

There is an elementary school in Rogers, AR of all places that has "quiet time" which is more or less what that is. They sit down and reflect for 3-4 minutes, it's not really guided but they do it several times throughout the day and it is their method of time out for misbehavior.

Punishment =/= meditation...

#21 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

I believe their thought process is that it allows for self reflection.

#22 tri

tri

• 1133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

Add catholic schools in there too. =) Though I have heard from many people that Catholic is known to be better then public because in Catholic the teach you about be kind but in public if they mention on thing about religion they get in trouble. Also people say the kids are better in Catholic.

#23 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:15 PM

Add catholic schools in there too. =) Though I have heard from many people that Catholic is known to be better then public because in Catholic the teach you about be kind but in public if they mention on thing about religion they get in trouble. Also people say the kids are better in Catholic.

The additional risk of molestation is a small but significant drawback however.

#24 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:18 PM

Fear is a motivating factor to perform in that situation. If in doubt, shit yourself.

#25 tri

tri

• 1133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:19 PM

The additional risk of molestation is a small but significant drawback however.

Not Catholic private school. In a public school about 2 years ago a girl got sexually assaulted by a teacher.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users