Quantcast

Photo

Should Schools Start Teaching Meditation to Students?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Schools Start Teaching Meditation to Students? (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Schools Start Teaching Meditation to Students?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:21 PM

Not Catholic private school. In a public school about 2 years ago a girl got sexually assaulted by a teacher.

Please, stop.

#27 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:28 PM

Not Catholic private school. In a public school about 2 years ago a girl got sexually assaulted by a teacher.

Middle School Student Accused of Trying to Rape Teacher
Teacher Arrested, charged with raping student

So we're learning that people like to assault other people, regardless of role in life.
Admittedly the second reference is a statutory rape charge, it is less grim than other sources.

#28 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:36 PM

I believe their thought process is that it allows for self reflection.

Meditation is more complex than self-reflection. In meditation one seeks an altered state of consciousness and greater control over one's mind.

#29 grapes

grapes
  • Waser Lave Fan

• 403 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:42 PM

We already have a 5 minute meditation class after the lunch break at school everyday :p

It's... alright. :/

Edited by grapes, 26 August 2012 - 01:46 PM.

#30 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:29 PM

Meditation is more complex than self-reflection. In meditation one seeks an altered state of consciousness and greater control over one's mind.

I understand quite clearly what meditation is, are you having an issue reading what I am writing today?

I said that I believe it is 'their' thought process, not 'my' thought process. :p

Silly Bone.

#31 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:53 PM

I understand quite clearly what meditation is, are you having an issue reading what I am writing today?

I said that I believe it is 'their' thought process, not 'my' thought process. :p

Silly Bone.

Then what was the point of this post in a thread about meditation?

There is an elementary school in Rogers, AR of all places that has "quiet time" which is more or less what that is. They sit down and reflect for 3-4 minutes, it's not really guided but they do it several times throughout the day and it is their method of time out for misbehavior.

#32 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:57 PM

Boring.

#33 ae19

ae19
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:09 PM

Yes, I'm really glad schools are picking this up. Meditation isn't done for meditation's sake. It's a tool for emotional self-regulation/stress management and promoting greater self-awareness, skills that are important for children to learn if they're going to become productive citizens. Numerous studies have shown that meditation has a whole host of social and health benefits. Spending a few minutes a day on meditation in schools would go a long way to increasing society's mental health.

#34 ae19

ae19
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:44 PM

No, because having citizens that know how to manage stress and regulate their own emotions is in the best interests of the state.

Guiding children through basic meditation for ten minutes or so every day isn't a huge addition to a teacher's workload. I'm pretty confident any teacher with even a modicum of competence would be able to handle it. It's probably one of the easier facets of a teacher's job because the children are actually quiet, and beneficial to the teacher themself if they participate.

You say a teacher's responsibility is to teach, but like it or not, we've created a society where a huge bulk of a child's formative experiences occur in educational institutions. The idea that separating the rearing of a child and the education of a child is fanciful at best when a child's education consists of hundreds of hours spent in a social setting outside of their home, and the job of creating a healthy, educated, responsible adult cannot help but be shared between the parent and the state.

Edited by ae19, 01 September 2012 - 12:45 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users