Quantcast

Photo

20 GB Game! Do you think Games are taking to much HDD?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 tri

tri
  • Banned from trading - Do not trade with this user

• 1133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:57 PM

http://gamesystemreq...mes.php?id=1654

Holy crap. If I were to download this it would take 1/4 of my monthly bandwidth. Do you think games are taking to much HDD?

#2 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:07 PM

No.

1TB+ hard drives are standard...

#3 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:08 PM

When 1TB hard drives or larger is the norm for good computers, and it's not too expensive to buy additional storage: No.

Also, you could always save your allowance and buy the game. :3c

#4 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:11 PM

Are there people who still don't install games on their SSD?

#5 tri

tri

• 1133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:12 PM

When 1TB hard drives or larger is the norm for good computers, and it's not too expensive to buy additional storage: No.

Also, you could always save your allowance and buy the game. :3c

Trust me. I do not need an allowance to buy $50 games.

#6 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:13 PM

Are there people who still don't install games on their SSD?

You're implying someone would waste SSD space with Need For Speed.

#7 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:14 PM

Trust me. I do not need an allowance to buy $50 games.

Well, then why do you complain that it's too big to download? Just buy it, then.

#8 Mew

Mew
  • 626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:15 PM

No.
We need bigger games.
I want to play a GTA that takes hours to drive from one side of the world to the other or an elder scrolls that has more then one damn region of tamriel.

#9 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:18 PM

No.
We need bigger games.
I want to play a GTA that takes hours to drive from one side of the world to the other or an elder scrolls that has more then one damn region of tamriel.

You don't sound entitled at all. Nope.

#10 Plunk

Plunk
  • Official Neocodex Dollface

• 545 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:11 PM

Has no one else noticed that that isn't the size of the game, it's the minimum/recommended hard drive size?

#11 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:12 PM

Skyrim is broken into 9 holds. How many damn regions of Tamriel do you really need?

#12 infecthead

infecthead
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:58 AM

Skyrim is broken into 9 holds. How many damn regions of Tamriel do you really need?

I finished Skyrim fairly quickly (and did a lot of side quests with it). From all the hype, I was expecting more. Don't get me wrong, it was a great game, but the main storyline was too short and it eventually just became a 'Go into this dungeon and kill this person/collect this item'.

OT: Hard drives (and SSDs for that matter) continue increasing in capacity whilst decreasing in price. 1TB is the norm these days, and even then that's more than enough (I'm an avid gamer and a massive pirate :pirate2:). Internet speeds and bandwidth are also increasing, so downloading such a large game doesn't take more than a few days.

#13 Syntax

Syntax
  • Not an error.

• 991 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:24 AM

For starters, Elsweyr would be pretty awesome to explore. There's four or five areas that haven't been put into a game yet. I think the general rule at this point is one chapter for one region.

OP: My Morrowind folder alone is about 30gb, so no. Not really. Internet is cheap, and so easily avaliable. Even though the Thailand flooding messed up the prices for HDs, 1TB is still pretty affordable. So ehh, a 20gb game isn't that big of a deal.

#14 infecthead

infecthead
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:16 AM

For starters, Elsweyr would be pretty awesome to explore. There's four or five areas that haven't been put into a game yet. I think the general rule at this point is one chapter for one region.

OP: My Morrowind folder alone is about 30gb, so no. Not really. Internet is cheap, and so easily avaliable. Even though the Thailand flooding messed up the prices for HDs, 1TB is still pretty affordable. So ehh, a 20gb game isn't that big of a deal.

It's being nearly a year since the floods in Thailand (October, I believe). Prices are almost back to normal (you can get a Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM for $85 on Newegg, they were around $70 a week ago).

#15 Mew

Mew
  • 626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:55 AM

You don't sound entitled at all. Nope.

Thanks <3

#16 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:20 AM

As the power of processors increase, people demand more realistic games and the price of memory and hard drives has plummeted it's inevitable that the size of games will increase because you need to pack in more textures and sounds etc.

#17 onlyme

onlyme
  • I hate everyone.

• 4319 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:27 AM

By now my Sims game must be around 3TB...

#18 Syntax

Syntax
  • Not an error.

• 991 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:03 AM

It's being nearly a year since the floods in Thailand (October, I believe). Prices are almost back to normal (you can get a Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM for $85 on Newegg, they were around $70 a week ago).

I don't really buy online cause paying for shipping is ridiculous. The ones in the shops here is about $120-$150 the last time I bought. But that was a few months ago, so I guess it might have gone down since then.

#19 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:23 AM

20GB is a bit much, yeah, but mmmm.... Aren't 2TB drives actually not shit now? And 1TB drives are super cheap, so I guess it isn't that much of a problem!! ^^
And I guess video game devs just think everyone who plays their games ever have like unlimited bandwidth with 1Gb/s down and have I dunno, 50TB of space sooo :p

#20 tri

tri

• 1133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:13 PM

1 tb drives at my local places are $100. I would not call them cheap. :/ I have a 500 gb drive but once I start torrenting I mean I will more likely need another one.

Edited by Dorkie, 14 September 2012 - 12:13 PM.

#21 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:32 PM

1 tb drives at my local places are $100. I would not call them cheap. :/ I have a 500 gb drive but once I start torrenting I mean I will more likely need another one.

If you can afford to build a decent gaming rig, $100 for 1TB isn't going to kill you.

Also, I did a quite Newegg search, I could get a 1.5TB for $70.

#22 tri

tri

• 1133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:53 PM

If you can afford to build a decent gaming rig, $100 for 1TB isn't going to kill you.

Also, I did a quite Newegg search, I could get a 1.5TB for $70.

Lowest in Canada is $89.99 plus $10 dollars shipping so my estimate it not bad. :/ Most computers even low end come with 1 tb anything. All you need is 500 GB for like $50 for just games.

#23 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:02 PM

Lowest in Canada is $89.99 plus $10 dollars shipping so my estimate it not bad. :/ Most computers even low end come with 1 tb anything. All you need is 500 GB for like $50 for just games.

Spoiler

It's on sale, but since you'll probably always find at least one on sale on at least one of the several parts stores, you can easily get one for cheaper. (Yes, in Canada, notice I'm in Canada, I do Canadian searches)

#24 tri

tri

• 1133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:06 PM

Spoiler

It's on sale, but since you'll probably always find at least one on sale on at least one of the several parts stores, you can easily get one for cheaper. (Yes, in Canada, notice I'm in Canada, I do Canadian searches)

Still 89.99 so I mean I am going to take reg price. Plus it is internal. Think I know how to install it. :p

#25 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:08 PM

Still 89.99 so I mean I am going to take reg price. Plus it is internal. Think I know how to install it. :p

The hard drive is the easiest part to install, a couple tutorials and you should be able to install it easily, why do you just assume it's impossible if you haven't even tried it yet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users