• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:00 PM

I've developed a more logical set of rules but the people on the chess community have a bunch of stupid emotional biases and won't reply to my posts.

View the full article

#2 Nalah

Nalah
  • Can't hug every cat

• 555 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:09 AM

Oh, so true.

Maybe wizarding chess would work better :p

#3 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:15 AM

Oh, so true.

What's true?

#4 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:05 AM

Oh, so true.

Maybe wizarding chess would work better :p

Wizarding chess is 100% the same as normal chess, with the only difference being that the pieces move for you, instead of you moving them.

#5 Nalah

Nalah
  • Can't hug every cat

• 555 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:44 AM

What's true?

I was referring to the last frame, about the game not being well designed. Sorry, I realise my post wasn't very clear.

Wizarding chess is 100% the same as normal chess, with the only difference being that the pieces move for you, instead of you moving them.

Yeah, but they still kind of "attack" more..:p

#6 artificial

artificial
  • 186 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:53 AM

I was referring to the last frame, about the game not being well designed. Sorry, I realise my post wasn't very clear.

In before Sweeney starts talking about the intricacies of chess.

#7 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:13 AM

Yeah, but they still kind of "attack" more.. :p

How do they "attack" more? The only difference between the two versions of chess is exactly this. In one, the pieces are moved by the person, in the other, the pieces are moved by you.

#8 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:16 AM

How do they "attack" more? The only difference between the two versions of chess is exactly this. In one, the pieces are moved by the person, in the other, the pieces are moved by you.

She's probably referring to how the pieces literally attack each other when a piece is taken (that doesn't tend to happen in regular chess).

#9 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:56 AM

I don't play chess.
But I'm interested, in what ways is the game poorly designed?

#10 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:05 AM

I don't play chess.

Most of them don't have anywhere to put the batteries.

#11 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:06 AM

Most of them don't have anywhere to put the batteries.

The stopclock? :p

#12 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:34 AM

The stopclock? :p

No.

#13 artificial

artificial
  • 186 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:03 PM

This thread reminds me of the time iargue used that chess engine to beat me in a game. What a silly human being that guy is.

#14 Nalah

Nalah
  • Can't hug every cat

• 555 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:11 PM

I don't play chess.

Well, as the comic above suggested, it isn't very realistic. In a real battle, I'd suggest a queen wouldn't do much at all, probably less than the king. Also, if one of your foot soldiers (pawns) reached the other side of the field (board) I can't imagine that you'd actually be able to bring someone back to life (reclaim a playing piece).

It can also take forever to play/win, expecially when you get down to the last two pieces; the kings, and your moving them around the board, and noone can win, which I don't think is a good quality in a game.

I'm guessing you haven't seen the movies/read the books? Where they fight on the chessboard, attacking each other?
Here's a vid for you. "Attacking" is at 1:30ish
Spoiler

By the way, it's fiction.

#15 Deathscythe

Deathscythe
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:00 PM

There are a ton of reasons for why chess is not real:
1. Real people don't only move in straight lines, or follow a L.
2. In a real war, I doubt that two sides will be identical in terms of composition and placement.
3. In a real war, you can choose how your troops will be spread out.
4. In a real war, you don't have to land on the opponent's piece to actually kill them.

I could go on...

It can also take forever to play/win, expecially when you get down to the last two pieces; the kings, and your moving them around the board, and noone can win, which I don't think is a good quality in a game.

Depending on the exact pieces, sometimes it can be impossible to win. Usually players know when they are going to lose or make a bad move, it isn't that bad.

#16 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:18 PM

Well, as the comic above suggested, it isn't very realistic. In a real battle, I'd suggest a queen wouldn't do much at all, probably less than the king. Also, if one of your foot soldiers (pawns) reached the other side of the field (board) I can't imagine that you'd actually be able to bring someone back to life (reclaim a playing piece).

I'm guessing you haven't seen the movies/read the books? Where they fight on the chessboard, attacking each other?

By the way, it's fiction.

1) you've clearly never played chess: You don't revive pieces, but promote the pawns and you can draw on chess, and king vs king is an example.
2) although in HP the pieces do fight, the attacker always win, like in regular chess.

#17 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:21 PM

Clearly you've never heard of Kombat Chess.

Posted Image

It's like wizarding chess for pros.

#18 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:30 PM

It's like wizarding chess for pros.

Don't embarrass yourself. Wizard's chess is ult.

Edited by cronus, 25 September 2012 - 09:30 PM.

#19 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:35 PM

Don't embarrass yourself. Wizard's chess is ult.

#20 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:53 PM

This thread reminds me of the time iargue used that chess engine to beat me in a game. What a silly human being that guy is.

Remember the time that you beat me once and lost to me twice, and then cried that I cheated?

#21 Nalah

Nalah
  • Can't hug every cat

• 555 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:55 PM

1) you've clearly never played chess: You don't revive pieces, but promote the pawns and you can draw on chess, and king vs king is an example.
2) although in HP the pieces do fight, the attacker always win, like in regular chess.

I have played chess, although my last game was quite a while ago.Don't have the time anymore. I suppose you play a game or two every weekend? Joined the local chess club as well?

I've never heard it said like that actually, makes more sense.

As for 2), it's not necessarily attacking, but strategy?

Edited by Nalah, 25 September 2012 - 09:56 PM.

#22 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:05 PM

She's probably referring to how the pieces literally attack each other when a piece is taken (that doesn't tend to happen in regular chess).

I'm well aware of that. I'm still trying to understand how that related at all to fixing the issue that is "addressed" in this comic. Which is that it has too much strategy involved.

It can also take forever to play/win, especially when you get down to the last two pieces; the kings, and your moving them around the board, and noone can win, which I don't think is a good quality in a game.

1)The comic never fucking suggested that it wasn't realistic. The comic is making fun of the people who think chess is simple because they never played. Someone who never played says "Your an idiot, your doing it wont" then gets his ass kicked, and then just insults the game instead of accepting that he was wrong. The game is not intended to be realistic in the slightest. It is not a war simulation, and the names are simply names. the concept behind chess is 100% about tactical strategy and nothing else. The concept is to prove that using the same exact pieces as another person, you can best them. Everyone is on an equal ground, and must outthink the other person.

2)There are play clocks that exist for a reason. When you reach just a king/king (Which only happens if both people are completely retarded at the game) the game is automatically a draw. The same thing if a person repeated moves between two places, it becomes a forfeit as they are not capable of winning if they just repeat the same move over and over.

Also. Monopoly takes ten times as long as then game, it must suck too. As well as any other game that takes more than 15 seconds. Basketball games, football? Those games last hours. .

Again. I fail to see how wizards chess addresses this at all? The pieces do move and attack for you, but that changes 0% of the game, and is simply a visual upgrade. Nothing at all about this comic talks about the visual aspects sucking. Thus it would resolve nothing at all.

There are a ton of reasons for why chess is not real:
1. Real people don't only move in straight lines, or follow a L.
2. In a real war, I doubt that two sides will be identical in terms of composition and placement.
3. In a real war, you can choose how your troops will be spread out.
4. In a real war, you don't have to land on the opponent's piece to actually kill them.

I could go on...

Depending on the exact pieces, sometimes it can be impossible to win. Usually players know when they are going to lose or make a bad move, it isn't that bad.

When the hell did this become a talk about chess being real? the original comic never even mentioned that.

Chess is a game of strategy, not about war. Chess provides each player with the same exact resources and pieces to ensure that they are on even ground. Using those options, you must outsmart/outmaneuver your opponent in order to win. It is not a "real war" in the slightest. It doesn't give a shit about any of that. It tests your tactical thinking against someone elses in a straight up competition.

#23 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:12 PM

I have played chess, although my last game was quite a while ago.Don't have the time anymore. I suppose you play a game or two every weekend? Joined the local chess club as well?

I've never heard it said like that actually, makes more sense.

As for 2), it's not necessarily attacking, but strategy?

The last time I played chess was ver 4 years ago and even that was an isolated match, I don't like chess I suck at chess BUT I know the rules
As for 2: IT'S THE SAME FUCKING GAME

#24 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:14 PM

Chess is an abstract game. It's not meant to be realistic.
You're effectively saying that "Bullshit!" is a bad card game because there's no literal faeces involved.

#25 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:26 PM

*adult male bovine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users