Quantcast

Photo

Is Gangnam Style Good for Korea's Globalization?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 willy101

willy101
  • 338 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:33 PM

It seems that some people believe that Korea is stuck in a mind set of any press is good press and take pride in Psy's rise. On the flip side, this does not present Korea in the most glamorous light. What are your thoughts?

░░░░░░▄█████▄░░░░░░░░
░░░░▄█▀▀░░░░▀█▄░░░░░░
░░░▄█▄▄▄▄░▄▄▄▄█░░░░░░
░░░██████▀██████░░░░░
░░██░░▀░▄██▀▀░░█░░░░░
░░░▀█░░░░░░░░░█▀░░░░░
░░░▄▄█▄▄▄▄░▄▄▄█▄▄░░░░
░░░██████▄░▄██████░░░
░░░███████▀▀██████▄░░
░░░░████████████▀▀▀░░
░░░▄████████████▄░░░░
░▄███████████████▄░░░
░▀█████████████████▄░
░▄██████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████
▀██████░░░░░░▄███████
░██████░░░░░███████▀░
░░█████░░░░░████▀░░░░

#2 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:36 PM

It has potentially expanded the US market for K-pop, but on a national scale a music video isn't really going to change anything.

#3 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:44 PM

I'm not entirely sure about Korea's mindset or glorious light, but the song itself is only just another passing phase. People play it in dance clubs all the time. Eventually people will tire of the song and move onto the next party mix or amusing meme.

As someone who goes to clubs and bars and hears this song on a lot of nights, people like me don't give a fuck about Korea, it's media, or appeal. We only like the song and dancing with other people who knows the basic moves. According to my friends and random strangers, the song wasn't worth translating for personal pursuits or respect for Korea, just dancing. Even the Asian Studies majors at my school doesn't think differently of Korea with the introduction of the song. It's just a dance craze that will phase out.

#4 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:54 PM

It's just another internet fad like Friday and The Bed Intruder Song. It may have gotten more people into kpop but I highly doubt it's going to be much more than another internet fad that gets replaced in 5 minutes.

#5 infecthead

infecthead
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:30 PM

It has definitely raised awareness for K-Pop, however apart from that not much else will come from this.

#6 BugsBunny

BugsBunny
  • 88 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:38 AM

I think it's good for getting kpop out there. However, I am sick and tired of the people who say "OMFG, I love KPOP! GANGNAM STYLE FTW"... Have you heard anything asides from Gangnam Style??

But with other artists in the industry believe it's not good because people are just saying that all k-pop artists are doing the horse dance and poke fun at districts in Seoul. So, they are fed up with it.

#7 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:51 AM

Not really >w> To be honest it's just another K-pop song, and K-pop has been gaining popularity in the west for a good number of years now anyways~

#8 willy101

willy101
  • 338 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:48 AM

Well what about the opposite? http://cityroom.blog...s/?ref=nyregion

Shows how one coffee shop exploded in NY b/c it was featured on korean tv. I think at least in some part korean music will expand into korean tourism

or this song Steve Aoki turned one of Girls' Generation's biggest songs into a dance anthem

#9 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:42 AM

It's hard to hold America's attention for very long. PSY will have to release another song for us to enjoy before we can truly appreciate him. I enjoy the song because it's cheesy and upbeat, but I do worry about the negative stereotypes a fun chubby little Asian guy brings to the table. I saw one report of another Korean rapper, Tiger JK, being asked by the crowd to do the horse dance. Just because he's Asian. Needless to say, he wasn't happy. So then he later apologized for the 'anti-Caucasian' remarks he spewed in anger.

A few months ago, I was watching the KDrama "Greatest Love" with my boyfriend, and in the first episode, Rihanna's "S&M" was playing. My boyfriend said, "Ugh. You see, American music makes it into a Korean tv show. I bet you will never see a Korean pop artist's song featured on any of our shows" I know jpop and kpop have a pretty big underground following in North America, but other than Gangnam Style, nothing has quite hit the mainstream yet.

#10 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:01 AM

I'd say they're still better known for eating dogs than having a significant cultural contribution to the world.

#11 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:39 AM

Starcraft

#12 onlyme

onlyme
  • I hate everyone.

• 4319 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

was it meant to represent korea in any way?

#13 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

A particular area of South Korea, similar to Beverly Hills, in an obviously satirical way.

#14 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:43 PM

Gaypop

#15 MoshZombie

MoshZombie
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:51 PM

I've never really liked the song that much, I hear it sooo many times a day at work and clubs play it over 5 times a night because people request it so much... There was a chatroulette version of the song done on youtube that I enjoyed though. I just fail to see the songs appeal though other than being just a silly comedic value song that got alot of hype. There was a live Psy concert streamed on Youtube and my bf said I wonder what they are going to do when he does songs besides Gangnam and nobody knows them, to which my response was anyone who likes that song probably would have already looked up and know his other songs lol. Congrats to Psy for being a big hit and all though.

There has been a ton of one hit wonders over the years and while Gangnam has reached a large global audience I don't think it will drastically change anything in Korea. Basically I agree with what everyone else seems to be saying, KPop might get a few more fans :p

#16 4noreason

4noreason
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:14 AM

I don't think people take PSY seriously, people enjoy the music and dance, but it is not going to bring more people looking at other part of Korea.

Edited by 4noreason, 08 October 2012 - 04:16 AM.

#17 Deathscythe

Deathscythe
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:52 PM

Most likely a fad, but Psy will play off the media attention he got from this. In terms of globalisation, I doubt that it would have much effect.

#18 kok123

kok123
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:35 PM

lol only jackasses think Korea is like that.

#19 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:46 PM

lol only jackasses think Korea is like that.

THANK YOU FOR THIS CONTRIBUTION TO THE TOPIC

#20 bunnykd

bunnykd
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

The song doesn't represent Koreans so I don't think anything will happen. It's like asking if Baby - JB represented Americans...

#21 willy101

willy101
  • 338 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

The song doesn't represent Koreans so I don't think anything will happen. It's like asking if Baby - JB represented Americans...

Well my original prompt wasn't that the song represents Korea but rather whether it would be good for Korea in globalization. In that sense I have mixed feelings, but at the end of the day, you can't deny that many people had no idea that Korea was a country until the song hit it big.

#22 Demothesis

Demothesis
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:52 PM

I think most people just listen to Gangnam style because it sounds funny and catchy. I really doubt it does anything for the actual Korean culture.

#23 ajk11195

ajk11195
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:05 AM

This is just another fad that will soon fade for most people. In a year's time, we will see who are actual fans of PSY/KPOP/Korean culture in general.

#24 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:14 AM

The same could be said for any fad or faze as has already been discussed. Fads come and go quickly despite western culture lacking long atten-

-hey look! Have you guys seen this?

#25 KingHeisenberg

KingHeisenberg
  • 93 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

this does not present Korea in the most glamorous light.

What I was thinking before I clicked on this topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users