• This topic is locked This topic is locked
72 replies to this topic

#51 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:51 AM

Every community is dysfunctional. If you and Pyro don't want to deal with the drama, promote someone to deal with that shit or delegate it and do something else with your time.

This. Removing the community would be a terrible move.

To answer the original question- I browse the forums whilst on the internet, because why not?

Off topic side note:
Spoiler

#52 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:18 AM

Posted Image

Awwwww!

Everyone talks shit about everyone in TC. It isn't against the rules there. Ignore it, or come join in on the fun abuse.

This reminds me of those times an ex-staff member kept insisting the programs were more important than the community. Did we not learn then how wrong this mindset is? You might look at douchebags like artificial, cronus, khaligula, valentine, frizzle, scot, and drakonid as people who bring nothing to the forums but mischief, but I'd choose these fuckers any day over yawn-inducing "UPSTANDING CODEXIAN"s with no personality.

If you're really tired with dealing with the 'bullshit', then I agree with Nymh. Delegate the social aspect of the community to people you trust with the task. You will not satisfy everyone. Just because a few people disagreed with the way the Khali situation was dealt with, doesn't mean you should throw your hands up and say, "THIS PLACE IS HOPELESS". There has always been disputes with the decision of the staff in the past and this will continue as long as everyone is capable of independent thought. We've had members of staff abuse their powers to peep into PMs and we've had staff ragequit 4eva. Nothing is perfect. Even the programs malfunction once in a while.

#53 ElBastardoVerde

ElBastardoVerde
  • Shitstorm

• 220 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:40 AM

I visit Neocodex because I have finally found an internet forum that is filled with people that I can actually see myself getting to know and enjoy. Many of the members here are actually super funny, and they keep me coming back. I may just be a wall flower, but I like it here.

Edit: grammar

Edited by destruct, 09 October 2012 - 07:41 AM.

#54 Kaitan

Kaitan
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:20 AM

I keep coming back because I like the community. Codex is what convinced me of what I wanted to do with my career, and I still enjoy cheating on Neopets.

Shutting down the forum would send things into chaos. I choose to use the programs here because of the community.

#55 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:24 AM

Shutting down the forum would send things into chaos. I choose to use the programs here because of the community.

I doubt it would become chaotic...just painfully boring.

#56 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:38 AM

There is a reason there are no neopets cheating sites that don't also have an attached community forum.

#57 Kaitan

Kaitan
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:48 AM

I doubt it would become chaotic...just painfully boring.

Painfully boring is my idea of chaos ^_^

#58 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:50 AM

Painfully boring is my idea of chaos ^_^

Well, it wouldn't be chatotic, because there wouldn't be anywhere for the chaos to happen.

#59 Kaitan

Kaitan
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:52 AM

Well, it wouldn't be chatotic, because there wouldn't be anywhere for the chaos to happen.

Fair enough. I guess all we can do is hope the forum stays up.

#60 Tocsin

Tocsin
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:06 AM

At this current point in time my reason is entirely social since I don't use programs. I could do more for the site by releasing information and creating a few guides. I keep meaning to do that... I assume that the forum's costs are pretty well covered by members who actually never visit the forum. We've typically got 100-200 people using the programs offered. If even 20 of them bought advanced that covers a lot of expenses. I feel like most programs here are at the full release point of their life unless neo makes site changes. The last major change to restocking was 2006? so that's unlikely.

name one thing you contribute besides half veiled attempts at bragging about the attic and "hay everyone, (female member) just pmed me in case you'd like to know"

#61 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:23 AM

Why should we bother with this anymore? After all, we know from our work a couple years ago that if we make quality products, people will come. We would have something that they cannot get anywhere else. No giveaways or community events are going to coerce as many people to come as having quality products will.

I bother because of the community, the friends I've made here, and the discussions/lulz I've had. Neocodex wasn't always about milking Abrosia as much as possible.

If your only goal is making as much money as possible and distributing your product, you shouldn't bother anymore.

But I'll always be of the opinion that you should serve the community, not the other way around.

Awwwww!

Everyone talks shit about everyone in TC. It isn't against the rules there. Ignore it, or come join in on the fun abuse.

This reminds me of those times an ex-staff member kept insisting the programs were more important than the community. Did we not learn then how wrong this mindset is? You might look at douchebags like artificial, cronus, khaligula, valentine, frizzle, scot, and drakonid as people who bring nothing to the forums but mischief, but I'd choose these fuckers any day over yawn-inducing "UPSTANDING CODEXIAN"s with no personality.

If you're really tired with dealing with the 'bullshit', then I agree with Nymh. Delegate the social aspect of the community to people you trust with the task. You will not satisfy everyone. Just because a few people disagreed with the way the Khali situation was dealt with, doesn't mean you should throw your hands up and say, "THIS PLACE IS HOPELESS". There has always been disputes with the decision of the staff in the past and this will continue as long as everyone is capable of independent thought. We've had members of staff abuse their powers to peep into PMs and we've had staff ragequit 4eva. Nothing is perfect. Even the programs malfunction once in a while.

PRBM FOR ADMIN 2012; THE MOVEMENT LIVES ON

#62 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:23 AM

If the forums weren't here I'd never come by. I mean, not that the site would lose anything by me not being here because I just don't play neopets or use the programmes anymore but I really love this community.
Yes, there are drama queens, and trolls, and douchebags, and those that don't contribute but it's like we're this big dysfunctional family. I love it!

#63 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:09 AM

Awwwww!

I love you <3

#64 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:02 AM

name one thing you contribute besides half veiled attempts at bragging about the attic and "hay everyone, (female member) just pmed me in case you'd like to know"

Oh you know, sharing knowledge with members I believe deserve to know it, helping members code their own projects, providing ideas to members for their own projects, giving away large amounts of NP, sharing information on the stat boosts of items, lending BD equipment, discussing engineering difficulties and work with some members, harassing SL64 into helping me, sold NP to other members, assisted in the freezing of scamming members, and more. Judging by the lack of PMs I have from female members I think you might be confused on the last point.

#65 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:25 AM

Plus, with no community, it won't be long until people start releasing cracked versions of the software and deobfuscating your source code etc. Without a community, there's no loyalty.

This sort of sounds like a veiled threat. :/ For the first point, we switched all of our development internally a while back. As for the second point, that's the way things are now and it's not because of a lack of community. There are no programmers actively developing for us right now who are not on staff, at least not officially.

The only satisfaction that I do get from Neocodex is developing services for it. I see the forum as an inconvenient distraction, and the people on it don't seem to have much respect for the people who run the place. Artificial, you of all people know what it's like to create your own website and have products that you could potentially talk about in a resume, or somehow use to better your professional life. If I can't have that opportunity here, then there's no point in doing any more work. I am not really a big part of the "community" and neither is Pyro or Hydrogen. That's the problem here.

#66 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:38 AM

have products that you could potentially talk about in a resume, or somehow use to better your professional life.

That's why I suggested spinning off the program support parts into an individual, more 'professional' support forum and having the community as a separate forum.

#67 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:41 AM

This sort of sounds like a veiled threat. :/ For the first point, we switched all of our development internally a while back. As for the second point, that's the way things are now and it's not because of a lack of community. There are no programmers actively developing for us right now who are not on staff, at least not officially.

The only satisfaction that I do get from Neocodex is developing services for it. I see the forum as an inconvenient distraction, and the people on it don't seem to have much respect for the people who run the place. Artificial, you of all people know what it's like to create your own website and have products that you could potentially talk about in a resume, or somehow use to better your professional life. If I can't have that opportunity here, then there's no point in doing any more work. I am not really a big part of the "community" and neither is Pyro or Hydrogen. That's the problem here.

If you don't fancy the social aspect...surely, as others have suggested, the solution would be to appoint someone who does actually enjoy the community? In my opinion the community is what sets neocodex apart from other cheating sites. I tried out other cheating sites but didn't hang around because their communities sucked ass. Without the community, I don't think neocodex would be the best cheating site to be honest. I think you're underestimating the value of the community.

Signed distressed community member.

#68 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:46 AM

You jelly?

#69 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:46 AM

That's why I suggested spinning off the program support parts into an individual, more 'professional' support forum and having the community as a separate forum.

How would that fit with the rest of the site though? The community would just be this side thing that doesn't really serve a purpose. Unless we just have the layout we have now, where we have product/services discussion at the top and have the general community stuff a bit lower. It still serves both purposes I guess.

#70 Kaitan

Kaitan
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:48 AM

This sort of sounds like a veiled threat.

It could be but to be honest in the years past I have already found cracked or ripped versions of ABrosia and other programs on other cheating sites. Now they have been reported and removed but the point is that the source code is closed so even if someone wanted to rip it off now it would be a lot harder to do so.

I agree with Cronus, just appoint a head of "social development" that way you dont really even need to stay if we bother you so much. I love the social aspect here and would hate to see it go.

#71 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

How would that fit with the rest of the site though? The community would just be this side thing that doesn't really serve a purpose. Unless we just have the layout we have now, where we have product/services discussion at the top and have the general community stuff a bit lower. It still serves both purposes I guess.

The community informs the development of the products, that is one of its key purposes. You have a ready made research and testing team right there. :p

#72 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:55 AM

The community informs the development of the products. You have a ready made research and testing team right there. :p

You know how to explain things in exactly my language to get me to listen. <_<

Have fun with the community, y'all. I'll talk to the others about delegating some of the community work to the others. I'll find a way to keep both support and the community on the same platform, somehow.

#73 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:29 PM

I want to apologize for some of the comments I made in here regarding the value of the community. I don't want to lump everyone together as part of a problem, but only point out that there are troublemakers that can ruin things for all of us. I don't think the community as a whole should be sacrificed, but rather, our staffing habits need to reflect what we're dissatisfied with. No need to take it out on everybody unnecessarily.

I also may have underestimated the value of the community. Thanks to the people who have sent me constructive messages about this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users