17 replies to this topic

#1 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:04 AM

http://www.huffingto..._n_2190781.html

SAN FRANCISCO — Howard Kuljian and his family were out for a walk on a damp, overcast morning at Big Lagoon beach, playing fetch with their dog Fran as 10-foot surf churned the water just feet away like a washing machine.

Signs near the beach warned of "sneaker waves," the kind that suddenly roar ashore.

Kuljian tossed a stick that took the dog down to the water's edge, and in an instant, authorities said, a wave swallowed it, setting off a nightmarish scramble.

"Everything kind of snowballed from there," Coast Guard Lt. Bernie Garrigan said.

Kuljian's 16-year-old son, Gregory, ran to save the dog, only to be captured by the surging surf himself. Kuljian, 54, followed, and then his wife, Mary Scott, 57. On shore, their 18-year-old daughter, Olivia, and Gregory's girlfriend could only watch.

Both parents' bodies were later recovered, but the boy – presumed dead – is still missing.

The dog eventually made it back to shore.

funny-dog-pictures-goggie-gif-jesse-goes

THANK GOD THE DOG'S OKAY

Never forget...
http://www.neocodex....rives-off-cliff

#2 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:06 AM

The funny thing is a park ranger had to run a half mile to get to the beach because his car wasn't made to handle the terrain

#3 Beasy

Beasy
  • 43 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

I'm always baffeled by these types of things. What in the high heaven made you think you could jump into a raging ocean and keep yourself alive much less drag a dog back with you?

#4 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

I'm always baffeled by these types of things. What in the high heaven made you think you could jump into a raging ocean and keep yourself alive much less drag a dog back with you?

What in high heaven made you think these people were thinking?

#5 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:07 AM

It's called instinct. You see something you care about in danger, you go after it. Just like the parents did for their son.

If it's not instinct to jump in front of a bullet for someone you care about, then that's bad.

#6 Beasy

Beasy
  • 43 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

I must think too much. And be a bad person.
My dog ran in front of a semi and I didnt jump after her.
My dog eventually made it back to the lawn also.

#7 Elle

Elle
  • ShadowLink64's Rebel

• 894 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:20 PM

Your dog deserves better than this.

#8 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

It's one thing not to jump in front of a truck. But a normal human would at least just lunge towards it instinctively.

Water isn't a truck. The odds are stacked against you, but you might be able to save your drowning child.

You can't stop a truck with your body. Not even.... must not say fat member's name... AHHHHHHHHH

#9 Beasy

Beasy
  • 43 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

Can't argue my bad person-ness. I was only 2 points away on the Hare psychopathy checklist.
She does have a leash and harness now for any future escapes.
I would probably jump in too if it was a kid. I give animals too much credit to make it out on their own.

#10 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

Can't argue my bad person-ness. I was only 2 points away on the Hare psychopathy checklist.
She does have a leash and harness now for any future escapes.
I would probably jump in too if it was a kid. I give animals too much credit to make it out on their own.

It's also different for "a" kid and "your" kid.

And I don't have a pet so I don't know how i'd react. then again i haven't had a kid either so that's moot.

#11 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

It's also different for "a" kid and "your" kid.

A world of difference.

#12 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:07 PM

It is against human nature to jump in front of bullets, into rivers and waves and so other possible fatal outcomes due to one's self preservation (if you happen to believe in science and evolution and not Jesus). This is why it such a heroic act to put one's life on the line for another, including animals, although this can result in irresponsible actions as above.

As someone who has tackled a knife wielding psychopath to the floor and ran in front of a car to save a child from being run over, I can tell you it is not instinct. It is a unprepared, enological reaction to an impending situation.

If my dog jumped into a river, I would not dive into save him. Mainly because he weighs 180lbs and would sink. Plus he can probably swim better than me.

#13 Zemx

Zemx
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

I'm glad the dog survived but now I feel bad for it because it lost an owner that truly cared for it.

Edited by Zemx, 28 November 2012 - 04:00 PM.

#14 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

I'm glad the dog survived but now I feel bad for it because it lost an owner that truly cares for it.

*cared

#15 Zemx

Zemx
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

*cared

That was a really sad grammar correction :(

#16 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:47 AM

That was a really sad grammar correction :(

...I know :crybaby:
Why does it hurt so bad?

#17 jinq

jinq
  • 1554 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

dogs have better instincts, not too surprising

#18 koishi

koishi
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

I came in here because of the tags :lol2:
Still, it's unfortunate about the family. :/ Poor dog lost its owners though...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ruh roh, dog news

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users