47 replies to this topic

#1 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

What is LifeScouts!?

How do I get involved!?

This channel is dedicated to my LifeScouts project. LifeScouts itself is a website that provides badges for people to collect, just like in the real Scouts. LifeScouts badges, however, are based around things to learn, experinces to have, and places to visit. It's designed to generate a community of people sharing the parts of their lives that have made them who they are today.

You can find the badges that have been released so far at:
http://lifescouts.com

More badges will be available to "collect" every day.

LifeScouts concieved and implemented by Alex Day:
http://youtube.com/nerimon

Intro music by Vladimir Kuznetsov, used under Creative Commons:
Listen on Soundcloud.com

#2 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

One badge up by the time I see the video, eh? :p

Pretty neat idea. I'll check it out when there's more content up. :p

#3 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

I think this is by far the single most impressive thing you've shared with the community.

I like the idea of collecting badges and what not based on real life experiences. I'll definitely be checking this out.

Do you have any badges yet Sweeney?

#4 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

One badge up by the time I see the video, eh? :p

It'll be up later today (here, tomorrow in the west hemisphere). Not sure what time.
Thanks for checking it out ^_^

I don't have any of the actual badges, because they're not on sale yet. I "have" a few of the ones that will be coming out on the website this month, though, like scuba-diving, chess, picnic, archery, visiting the Pyramids ^_^

#5 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

I think this is by far the single most impressive thing you've shared with the community.

I like the idea of collecting badges and what not based on real life experiences. I'll definitely be checking this out.

There aren't any badges released yet.

I can't wait to get started on this project. I want to do videos as well, but I have never really made videos and I'm a pretty good writer, so I'll probably end up just setting up a blog with copious photography.

#6 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

Thanks for checking it out ^_^

If the project gathers some momentum, I could see this being pretty popular actually.

It helps that this project (in part) caters to the generation of adults that grew up watching and playing Pokemon. Collecting badges is something we're no stranger to. :p

#7 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

If the project gathers some momentum, I could see this being pretty popular actually.

It helps that this project (in part) caters to the generation of adults that grew up watching Pokemon. Collecting badges is something we're no stranger to. :p

Oh yeah, once Alex makes his video about it on the 15th, it'll pick up a lot more momentum. His subscriber base is pretty young, generally, but I think it'll help regardless. Hopefully some other "big names" will get involved too :)

And yes, I'm fully aware of how the collection aspect will work xD I know I'm a nightmare for collecting things, and this will be no exception. I hope other people are the same :D

#8 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

This sounds really cool. I compulsively collect things too.

#9 Kauvara

Kauvara
  • 302 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

Very interesting concept, I can actually see myself getting into something like this. Anything that involves collecting and achievements always sounds appealing to me. xD I also LOVE the fact that it ties in with real life!! :)

#10 Chappy

Chappy
  • Cat Savage

• 2341 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

Ah~! I saw this the other day! I want to do all the animal ones <3 hopefully it involves hugging them~
I think its kinda funny though. It's like a hero brag thingy for adults.
I know this is late but I forgot you had an accent sweeney XD

#11 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

Ah~! I saw this the other day!

Where? It hasn't started yet.

#12 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

Where? It hasn't started yet.

She probably means she saw this from the sample intro clip you posted in the status updates? (I'm only guessing here.)

#13 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

She probably means she saw this from the sample intro clip you posted in the status updates? (I'm only guessing here.)

Ohh, maybe xD
Duh.

#14 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

Sounds delightful! I once was in girlscouts, but quit because the badges were boring to me. Badges based on experiences, learning, and places to visit are much more my style. Can't wait to start collecting these!

#15 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:36 AM

Will there be a badge collecting badge?

#16 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

Can I battle the E4 if I get enough of them?? 8D

#17 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

Cool. I'm not sure tumblr is the best long-term platform for the project, though. You're obviously just getting started, but it would be neat to be able to have an account and admire all of your badges. I suppose you could look at your #lifescouts tag on tumblr, but depending on what kind of project you want this to be, blog format might not be ideal.

Also, even if you stick with tumblr, a page explaining what LifeScouts is would be helpful. I would be confused and quickly move on if I saw the page without having seen the video and explanation.

Good luck! I'm interested in seeing where this goes.

#18 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

Want to get involved?

How to get involved:

#19 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

No hablo French, never been out of the country, never even seen a mountain. *sits here looking disgruntled*
I eagerly await that Chess Badge.

#20 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

*can claim one* ... parce que je peux parler en français. ^_^

#21 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

I'll stick with my 360/Steam achievements :shifty:

#22 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

A nice middle class hobby.

#23 kittycat

kittycat
  • 633 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

I don't see this actually being an actual spring board for conversation. Like, okay, you share a story that you may or may not have shared with this badge, which is more like apparently like a writing prompt for non-fiction, the badge isn't going to make their story more buzz worthy or readable, nor is it going to muster any questions about the topic being wrote on anymore that what it would have. I don't get what the badge does besides complimenting a wall of text about one's personal achievements to an audience (targeted as strangers) with an image. It's missing meaning for me.

#24 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:20 AM

It is January 4th. That means there are four badges available. So far, Joe can claim all of them. I can claim none.

Getting real sick of your shit, Alex.

#25 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:29 AM

A hot air balloon? Is this for reals?? Yeah man, fuck that Alex Day mother fucker. Just because he's cute in a mischievous way and has a load of followers on youtube and has an accent he thinks people give a fuck about hot air balloons.

A nice middle class hobby.

This is probably why I can't earn a badge. I'm like school on Sunday. No class.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users