Quantcast

Photo

Child leashes

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Poll: Child leashes (42 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think child leashes are ok to use?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:58 PM

Whatever happened to holding hands?

That's what we do with our kids, a lot of people don't though and I'm sure in a place such as an amusement park that would be a really scary scenario in which to lose your child.

#27 Eefi

Eefi
  • 1337 h4x0r

• 1626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:27 AM

I didn't know people actually used those. I have never seen anyone using it here and I probably won't either.

#28 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:13 AM

Child leashes are hilarious in public.  :lol2:

Now we just need shock collars for a complete package

#29 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:24 AM

I feel like if you haven't seen one you're going to assume it's similar to a dog or cat leash. 
It isn't. A better word would be "harness", which is what they are called here and they look like this:

Spoiler

I've personally never used one but I have seen them used during extremely busy events with lots of traffic or people.
I am not against them at all. I'd much rather use a child harness than have my child get hit by a car and die :)

#30 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:03 AM

I would NEVER put my child on a leash... its so dehumanizing and wrong! Like come on... if your kid doesn't listen and needs a leash... YOUR doing something wrong, and a leash isn't going to help. people who put there kids on a leash are lazy... and dont know how to parent.

Because when you were 5, you never wandered away from your parent?

Most kids are wild, and even the ones that aren't get away from you once and a while. Better to give them a monkey backpack with a string on it than to let them get stolen by a serial killer at Fiesta.

I probably wouldn't use one. If I ever have a child, it'll be too precious to be let out. It'll be an indoor child.

#31 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:43 AM

What else would you use to keep them secure while you're in the pub? O_o

#32 Revisions

Revisions
  • 138 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:59 AM

I feel like if you haven't seen one you're going to assume it's similar to a dog or cat leash. 
It isn't. A better word would be "harness", which is what they are called here and they look like this:

Spoiler

I've personally never used one but I have seen them used during extremely busy events with lots of traffic or people.
I am not against them at all. I'd much rather use a child harness than have my child get hit by a car and die :)

To be honest, that's pretty much the picture that came to my mind before I went and Googled exactly what it looked like. I have a feeling that were the original question/poll reworded to say "harness" as opposed to "leash," the results would be a bit more skewed towards those who don't mind/don't care (just by lessening the... severity? of the mental image).

Or maybe not  :p I don't know. What I do know is that I have no opposition to how this looks at all. I don't really see how it can be particularly traumatizing if it's being used in reasonable situations and not, say, 24/7. 

#33 Tubbz

Tubbz
  • The High Fairy of Priestessvil.

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:08 AM

Reasons they're good:-

1. Child doesn't feel like it's being restrained as when holding hands. Parents can allow the child to "run free" whilst maintaining control. Often they're used with children under 3/4 years of age who don't generally understand they're being harnessed. (If at 13 your parents had you wear one round the store, that could have quite a negative impact*)

2. Single mothers with multiple children. Ie. Newborn in pushchair, and twins aged 3 (old enough to walk). Impractical to have a 3 birth pushchair, so having two harnessed and one in a chair means she can safely go shopping without fear of the twins running off whilst she's browsing. 

2 examples of practical uses. They're not just terrible and inhumane. 

*The image of a miserable sulky 13 year old being walked around a shopping centre is a great image. 

#34 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:20 AM

I think they are cute on young children but I wouldn't use them. Seems like an extension of attachment parenting to me and that's not really my style.

#35 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:22 AM

I guess baby cages are also out of the question then?

QoNskn9.jpg

http://www.dailymail...t-crawl-in.html

#36 SackSlapped

SackSlapped
  • 98 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:48 AM

I would be OK with harnesses used in certain instances, as outlined in this thread where it's absolutely necessary.

I guess baby cages are also out of the question then?

QoNskn9.jpg

http://www.dailymail...t-crawl-in.html

Maybe if I was raised like this it would've solved my fear of heights :p

Edited by SackSlapped, 25 June 2013 - 06:49 AM.

#37 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:02 AM

Maybe if I was raised like this it would've solved my fear of heights :p

...or it could have made you to where you shit your pants everytime you're off the ground. ;)

#38 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:05 AM

...or it could have made you to where you shit your pants everytime you're off the ground. ;)

If he had that kind of problem it would be better if he didn't wear pants, I wouldn't want to be walking underneath though.

#39 Grandmaster

Grandmaster
  • 748 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:57 PM

It depends on situation as well as the culture. Sometimes, a child may be too spoilt and behave too arrogantly or rudely, then physical punishment (can be leash or slap) may be one way to stop and help him/her to reflect on his/her attitudes. In a culture of any sort of violence is not tolerated, physical punishment may just make children feeling more distant from parents. But ultimately, when we all grow up and become matured, we would start to appreciate parents' actions. It hurts most parents' heart while they carry out physical punishment. It is usually the last resort.

Edited by Grandmaster, 10 July 2013 - 09:46 PM.

#40 cuttingedge

cuttingedge
  • 311 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:02 PM

I'm seeing a lot of "only in this case arguments and I'm thinking...do you really want child leashes to socially indicate those things? "Hey look it's a mentally disabled kid." "Oh yea, he's on a leash"

#41 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:53 PM

I'm seeing a lot of "only in this case arguments and I'm thinking...do you really want child leashes to socially indicate those things? "Hey look it's a mentally disabled kid." "Oh yea, he's on a leash"

Since generally people can't tell if people are mentally disabled or not just by glancing, I feel like that's a non-issue.

#42 Geometry

Geometry
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:44 PM

I don't think they're necessary. If your child has a tendency to run off, you should first work on fixing that issue or simply avoid going places where there's a high chance they'll get lost until they get older.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users