Quantcast

Photo

Child leashes

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Poll: Child leashes (42 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think child leashes are ok to use?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 krislox

krislox
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:44 PM

Where do you stand on child leashes?

ChildLeashWoman-2.jpg

I wouldn't use one personally. My little brother was a pain, but this just looks so dehumanizing.

Edited by krislox, 23 June 2013 - 07:38 PM.

#2 tom12

tom12
  • 127 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:50 PM

I would NEVER put my child on a leash... its so dehumanizing and wrong! Like come on... if your kid doesn't listen and needs a leash... YOUR doing something wrong, and a leash isn't going to help. people who put there kids on a leash are lazy... and dont know how to parent.

#3 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:52 PM

In general, I am against child leashes. Most children are able to be easily be corralled and watched by an attentive adult.

However, my brother is autistic and is prone to wandering off. When he was little, my grandmother couldn't take him anywhere without it because she simply couldn't walk fast enough to keep up with him if he ran off. They had a long talk about it beforehand and practiced with stuffed animals and things before they used it in public. He seemed to understand why she needed it and was open and agreeable to using it. She left it on in the car for the ride home. The absolute second it was off, he would start running around like a wild man.

I don't think adults should use them just because they don't feel like paying attention or so they can 'drag' their kid around. 

#4 Hinth

Hinth
  • 117 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:57 PM

Child leashes may be misused in just SO many ways that I'm against them overall indefinitely.

#5 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:03 PM

Child leashes may be misused in just SO many ways that I'm against them overall indefinitely.

'Against them overall indefinitely' sounds kind of vague... Can you elaborate?

#6 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:09 PM

In general, I am against child leashes. Most children are able to be easily be corralled and watched by an attentive adult.

However, my brother is autistic and is prone to wandering off. When he was little, my grandmother couldn't take him anywhere without it because she simply couldn't walk fast enough to keep up with him if he ran off. They had a long talk about it beforehand and practiced with stuffed animals and things before they used it in public. He seemed to understand why she needed it and was open and agreeable to using it. She left it on in the car for the ride home. The absolute second it was off, he would start running around like a wild man.

I don't think adults should use them just because they don't feel like paying attention or so they can 'drag' their kid around. 

I think this kind of situation is the only case when it's acceptable. Using a leash shouldn't be a substitute for the modicum of parenting required to prevent a normal child from running off.

#7 tom12

tom12
  • 127 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:14 PM

I think this kind of situation is the only case when it's acceptable. Using a leash shouldn't be a substitute for the modicum of parenting required to prevent a normal child from running off.

I think the case of the grandmother and the autistic child is the only acceptable one aswell. but I dont like the use of the word "normal" maybe I'm just being too petty..

#8 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:16 PM

I also don't approve of leashes. Your child is not an animal. If you can't control your child, your fault. If you can't see where he is because you're looking at something else instead of at your child, too bad it's still your fault. If you're that bad of a parent you ignore watching your child, and you can't control them, I'd say you've failed at being a parent. (not hugely, but still a bit of a failure).

I hate seeing parents who use them, because their kids are young and at that age they want to explore and learn, but they can't do that if their parent is treating them like an animal. A child is nothing like a puppy or a dog. A child will not run off and attack other children and people. A child will go up and try and make friends.

That I would be fine with. If there's an acceptable reason, like an autistic child, or an ADHD one (especially as children have so much energy and ADHD would add even more)and the parent isn't able to go after them for whatever reason, fine. They're not dragging their kids around, and treating them like animals with a leash because their lazy.

Edited by Satsuki, 23 June 2013 - 06:18 PM.

#9 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:19 PM

I think the case of the grandmother and the autistic child is the only acceptable one aswell. but I dont like the use of the word "normal" maybe I'm just being too petty..

Would you prefer the term neurotypical?

#10 James

James
  • ā™” King James ā™”

• 1539 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:20 PM

Didn't even know these were a thing. I have a feeling a child leash would hurt the child mentally and potentially make it very antisocial as it matures. :/

#11 krislox

krislox
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:21 PM

I define normal as the way you're born. An autistic child is normal, but maybe not in the eyes of society.

#12 Hinth

Hinth
  • 117 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:25 PM

'Against them overall indefinitely' sounds kind of vague... Can you elaborate?

As in: always against, regardless of the circumstance. I mean, yes, there are situations (such as autism) where a child leash may seem to come in handy. However, this is just the sort of loophole that ends up getting exploited beyond its origibal intent, where misuse occurs and the various exclusions are taken advantaged of (by inhumane parents of autistic or ADD children perhaps?)

Maybe I'm just overly pessimistic about regulations in general. Eh.

Edited by Hinth, 23 June 2013 - 06:26 PM.

#13 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:26 PM

I would state that another acceptable situation that arises in which I feel child leashes are acceptable are for very high traffic areas and events in which children can be easily separated from their parents and snatched. Theme parks have been seeing a rising number of cases over the last ten years or so which involved small and younger children becoming separated from their parents and then people attempting to snatch them or in some cases "help them to security to find their parents" and it happens very quickly within moments. A child leash would have prevented the potential snatch and even the panic involved for the momentary loss of sight while moving through a thick crowd.

Besides stuff like that and what Napiform posted already I am against their use. I've never found it acceptable that parents don't want to watch their kids and use them at places like the grocery store, library, and mall. None of which are usually high traffic enough to warrant leashing the children. Lazyness (Child Leashes) != Good Parenting.

#14 krislox

krislox
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:28 PM

Another question:

Other than disorders, how about if you have like 3-4 children?

Still no?

#15 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:39 PM

Another question:

Other than disorders, how about if you have like 3-4 children?

Still no?

I don't see how having multiple kids would make a difference. Would you put them all on leashes and look like a dog walker?

I have three kids and am planning on more. Mine are taught from a very young age not to leave me (and we're working on not leaving each other, when necessary) and also to stay in front of me. There is no 'stay where I can see you crap'. You better be in front of me, cause I can't see behind me. When it's just me and the kids, at places like the library, I stay with them in the children's section and then we go together to the grown up section. If we're at Wal Mart and they wanna see fish, we all go look at the fish and then we all go look at whatever boring thing I wanna look at.

#16 brainbabe

brainbabe
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:44 PM

I would state that another acceptable situation that arises in which I feel child leashes are acceptable are for very high traffic areas and events in which children can be easily separated from their parents and snatched. Theme parks have been seeing a rising number of cases over the last ten years or so which involved small and younger children becoming separated from their parents and then people attempting to snatch them or in some cases "help them to security to find their parents" and it happens very quickly within moments. A child leash would have prevented the potential snatch and even the panic involved for the momentary loss of sight while moving through a thick crowd.

Besides stuff like that and what Napiform posted already I am against their use. I've never found it acceptable that parents don't want to watch their kids and use them at places like the grocery store, library, and mall. None of which are usually high traffic enough to warrant leashing the children. Lazyness (Child Leashes) != Good Parenting.

Agreed. From the POV of a someone who did have an experience with them, the only time my parents put me into a child harness/backpack (the term leash seems a little harsh for what it was and how little it bothered me) was when we went to Disney World and Astroworld. My parents were carrying stuff I didn't want to carry, and they were trying to ween me off of that habit of wanting to be carried. My parents are great, and I turned out to be pretty well adjusted and social even with that in my childhood, lol.

Besides, I thought the backpack bit was pretty stylin'. 

Aside from those situations, though, I don't see the point of them being used in a grocery store, or other less crowded areas. Maybe if you have a rowdy child who knocks over things? I'm personally not convinced by that reason.

#17 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:01 PM

Hahahaha my parents used one on me :p Apparently I reaallly liked running into the road and just running off in general lmao

Just holding their hand and keeping a close eye on them seems good enough most of the time, unless yeah you're going to a huge, busy park or they're naturally naughty little shits and really like running off when you're not looking. Sure its a bit dehumanising but holy crap I would take that over my toddler getting hit by a car or taken or something!! I don't think you should use one once they get a bit older and understand that wandering off or going on to busy roads is dangerous though~

Didn't even know these were a thing. I have a feeling a child leash would hurt the child mentally and potentially make it very antisocial as it matures. :/

What how lmao it's not like you'd keep the kid in them at home/school/etc >w< Can you even remember small things like that from when you were really young?? Or does it somehow affect you mentally anyways ??? I don't know

Edited by Turnip, 23 June 2013 - 07:04 PM.

#18 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:11 PM

Why isn't "I don't really care, but they are hilarious" an option in the poll?

#19 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:12 PM

My friend was on leashes for a large part of her life.

She's well adjusted, but she hates spending money. So I'm pretty sure there's a correlation and causation relationship between the two.

#20 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:19 PM

Why isn't "I don't really care, but they are hilarious" an option in the poll?

I second this.

Can we add it?

#21 krislox

krislox
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:39 PM

lol there you go

#22 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:39 PM

I would state that another acceptable situation that arises in which I feel child leashes are acceptable are for very high traffic areas and events in which children can be easily separated from their parents and snatched. Theme parks have been seeing a rising number of cases over the last ten years or so which involved small and younger children becoming separated from their parents and then people attempting to snatch them or in some cases "help them to security to find their parents" and it happens very quickly within moments. A child leash would have prevented the potential snatch and even the panic involved for the momentary loss of sight while moving through a thick crowd

Whatever happened to holding hands?

#23 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:42 PM

I only have so many hands.

#24 Syntax

Syntax
  • Not an error.

• 991 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:47 PM

Not as safe as a leash, unfortunately. I wouldn't do it myself, and frankly, I haven't seen anyone do it where I live (Singapore) so it's just funny when I see it on TV.

#25 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:49 PM

I've never seen one irl. I wouldn't use one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users