Quantcast

Photo

Would you buy a bulletproof backpack for your kid?

bullets merica gun safety

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:56 AM

There are apparently a new type of backpack being imported (from Colombia, of all places.)

I have mixed feelings about it. I mean, it's cool and everything that they're kid sized and less hot/bulky than a vest. And the colors! Who doesn't want a hot pink bulletproof something?

Based on my limited experience, they're also about $100 less than a child sized vest also.

However, I feel like prevention to stop guns from getting into schools, or at least, stop shooters from shooting in schools, is a better way. Also, a lot of schools in the ghetto don't let the kids have backpacks at all.

http://www.mommypage...ntroversy/?r=fb

http://abcnews.go.co...81#.UdBExmKgViY

#2 Tubbz

Tubbz
  • The High Fairy of Priestessvil.

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:15 AM

Being from the UK no need really. 

My man concern would be guns getting into schools in the first place. I'd rather see gun control than the need to bullet-proof my kids :/ 

#3 Nalah

Nalah
  • Can't hug every cat

• 555 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:17 AM

Wow. $250 for a backpack is still a bit though. And err...it's not going to help much if your kid gets shot in the front. Wouldn't it also be pretty heavy, being bullet-proof and all for a kid to carry? 

There no need for it in Australia either really, but if I was a parent in the US, I wouldn't bother getting one for my kids.

Edited by Nalah, 30 June 2013 - 07:17 AM.

#4 tom12

tom12
  • 127 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:19 AM

Yea.... bullet proof back back.....just another way for the "suits" to cash in on another tragidy. I dont think it would really protect you from anything...

whats next, bullet proof nikes?

Edited by tom12, 30 June 2013 - 07:20 AM.

#5 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:25 AM

It fits on the back right? Well then, the kids heart and neck are still exposed to bullets from the front. Same with the head. So if a gunman gets into school and fires from the front, it's not going to do anything. Though they could take it off and put it on the front, but then the backs exposed. (and the heads still exposed).

With all that, I find it kind of useless. Prevention is key, stop the people from getting the guns. (but this is MURICA. Guns, guns and more guns!)

Also, stop them from getting into the schools (if they mange to get a gun).

Plus, $250 for a backpack? That's....wow..

Though, I don't have kids. So, no worrying about bulletproof kid stuff.

Edited by Satsuki, 30 June 2013 - 07:35 AM.

#6 Hinth

Hinth
  • 117 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:55 AM

Just no. It seems like it's going overboard with the protection hype that's going on.

#7 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

As far as leaving things exposed, I think the idea would be to put the backpack on, curl up facedown, and pull thebag up toward the head... Similar to an earthquake or air raid drill.

#8 Teru

Teru
  • 239 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:48 AM

You can always take the back pack off and protect yourself

#9 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:23 AM

How about everyone carry around a replica of Captain America's shield? 

#10 Syntax

Syntax
  • Not an error.

• 991 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:30 AM

The replica would never deflect bullets as well as the actual shield.

#11 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:42 AM

Hmmm you're right, this is a major problem.

#12 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:11 PM

Does it say how much they weigh?? Since kids don't really need even more shit on their backpacks :V I remember in third/fourth grade our bags were heavy enough just from all the books we were made to carry anything else prooobably would have broken our backs lmfao

(obviously not all schools are like that heheh! But aaaa still heavy backpacks are the fucking worst whoever invented that idea needs to go jump off a cliff)

#13 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:27 PM

Only in America

#14 Aradriel

Aradriel
  • 57 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:03 PM

Such backpacks aren't realy needed in Belgium, but I wouldn't buy it anyway...

Although they're made to look cool... I think it would be better to make guns 'uncool' so schools are safer

If this backpack (or any other bulletproof vest) becomes necessary for a kid to go to school safe, I would keep my kid at home...

#15 idontknow951

idontknow951
  • 490 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

I'd get one just because its made out of kevlar. With the amount of books I used to carry on a day to day basis, I needed something that wouldn't go to shreds after a month or so of heavy duty use.

#16 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:14 PM

It bothers me that they're cheaper than a kid bulletproof vest. Wouldn't it be cheaper to disassemble and reassemble one of these than buy a vest? I kind of feel like this would encourage domestic
terrorism via children.

#17 idontknow951

idontknow951
  • 490 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:38 AM

It bothers me that they're cheaper than a kid bulletproof vest. Wouldn't it be cheaper to disassemble and reassemble one of these than buy a vest? I kind of feel like this would encourage domestic
terrorism via children.

I'd imagine having a flamboyant patched up kevlar vest would be quite noticeable... Regardless, I'm pretty sure you can't just cut up kevlar and restitch it and have it work as well as it does.

#18 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:52 AM

Doesn't matter. The false sense of security is what you are paying for. Anyway, it's super cute. I bet even the most mentally unsound mass murderers ould stop and "awww" at a little kid with a Captain America shield before blowing their head off.

#19 Grandmaster

Grandmaster
  • 748 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:55 AM

Yeah, that's probably only applicable in USA when there is little gun control. Preventive measures don't really help that much so I don't think I would purchase such bags for children in US, US government should take a firm stance on banning guns for civilians. It's just the greedy gun merchants that hinders this movement.

#20 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:04 AM

Yeah, that's probably only applicable in USA when there is little gun control. Preventive measures don't really help that much so I don't think I would purchase such bags for children in US, US government should take a firm stance on banning guns for civilians. It's just the greedy gun merchants that hinders this movement.

I would consider that a preventative measure?

#21 Tim

Tim
  • 2795 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:41 PM

I would rather send my child to school with a Camelbak full of malt liquor. He will be the reason you all buy those bulletproof backpacks.

#22 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:02 PM

No.

The majority of school shootings happen when the kids are sitting in class, backpacks would either be on the floor, on the back of their chair, or hung on a knob.  Not on their backs.  Plus, the kids rarely know what's going on before someone bursts into the room with a gun.  A bulletproof backpack would be useless in most situations.

#23 VaultBoy

VaultBoy
  • 215 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:24 AM

No.

The majority of school shootings happen when the kids are sitting in class, backpacks would either be on the floor, on the back of their chair, or hung on a knob.  Not on their backs.  Plus, the kids rarely know what's going on before someone bursts into the room with a gun.  A bulletproof backpack would be useless in most situations.

Yep that's what happened in Sandy Hook. Kids had NO IDEA what was happening, even hours after the ordeal occurred. No kid has the notion that an adult would hurt them like that, none.

#24 Mex

Mex
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:42 AM

Doesn't matter. The false sense of security is what you are paying for. Anyway, it's super cute. I bet even the most mentally unsound mass murderers ould stop and "awww" at a little kid with a Captain America shield before blowing their head off.

EPIC WIN

Only in America

Exactly. If no one had a gun, you wouldn't need one to protect yourself. I haven't heard of any other school shooting outside the US, so it is pretty obvious their laws have to change. 

#25 MishaZheleza

MishaZheleza
  • Iron Mouse

• 68 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:58 AM

No.

I agree with this 100%. Also I guess one would have their backpack with them in high school, but in middle and elementary school, I would get scolded from such teachers saying to keep my backpack in my locker, which annoyed me greatly. but I suppose made sense so it wouldn't clutter the aisles between desks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bullets, merica, gun safety

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users