Quantcast

Photo

Pay what you want for epic games on Origin. Support charity.

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 DoNotAnnoyMe

DoNotAnnoyMe
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:55 AM

Oh and We should both play Amnesia xD I would need someone with me, and the house to be really bright.. because holy fuck being in a dark room at night no one home, headphones on and playing amnesia... not good especially when you spend only a few minutes, then piss yourself xD

Then you're definitely doing it wrong. The only right way of playing Amnesia is turning your monitor a tad darker than recommended, late at night while alone with headphones. You totally miss out on the super creepy moments even in the default setup :p

@Anti-Origin: many people hate it for various reasons, but here's a little top 5 (in no particular order):

1. I read the EULA and I don't want to install the spyware called Origin
  2. I already have a big collection on Steam and I want it all in one place
  3. I'm not going to support the destroyers of <favorite franchise> (e.g. NFS, C&C, Sims, Mass Effect, ...) and pioneers of "I sue your family if you install me"-DRM and 0-day DLCs
  4. EA did absolutely nothing to deserve my trust for keeping my library safe and accessible
  5. various issues surrounding unjustified account suspensions and generally bad support

#27 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:25 AM

Sounds like you're one of those clueless EA apologists

look I can do it too

Okay then, please tell me what makes Origin "one of the worst software to ever exist", I'm all ears.

Then you're definitely doing it wrong. The only right way of playing Amnesia is turning your monitor a tad darker than recommended, late at night while alone with headphones. You totally miss out on the super creepy moments even in the default setup :p

@Anti-Origin: many people hate it for various reasons, but here's a little top 5 (in no particular order):

1. I read the EULA and I don't want to install the spyware called Origin
  2. I already have a big collection on Steam and I want it all in one place
  3. I'm not going to support the destroyers of <favorite franchise> (e.g. NFS, C&C, Sims, Mass Effect, ...) and pioneers of "I sue your family if you install me"-DRM and 0-day DLCs
  4. EA did absolutely nothing to deserve my trust for keeping my library safe and accessible
  5. various issues surrounding unjustified account suspensions and generally bad support

1. Have you read Steam's EULA? It's pretty fucked up in some points as well.

2. That's pro-Steam, not anti Origin.

3. Can't tell you they didn't destroy franchises because a) in some cases I agree and b) it's completely subjective.

4. Again, completely subjective

5. Already answered ic3doom, Valve sucks at this too.

#28 Guest_Sarah_*

Guest_Sarah_*

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:37 AM

I already have a big collection on Steam and I want it all in one place

You know you can select 'Add A Game' -> 'Add non-steam game to library' and then select a game from your programs list to add to the library for your 'all in one place' experience right? 

Spoiler

If people really don't like Origin then move the downloaded games from your Origin game folder to another location, uninstall Origin and BOOM! You have the games without Origin. Thus you can follow the directions above and add the .exe's for quick launch to your Steam. 

I gave $6 to the human rights charity, and $1 to HumbleBundle as a thanks for my new Sims 3 DLC~ 

#29 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:49 AM

You know you can select 'Add A Game' -> 'Add non-steam game to library' and then select a game from your programs list to add to the library for your 'all in one place' experience right? 

Spoiler

If people really don't like Origin then move the downloaded games from your Origin game folder to another location, uninstall Origin and BOOM! You have the games without Origin. Thus you can follow the directions above and add the .exe's for quick launch to your Steam. 

I gave $6 to the human rights charity, and $1 to HumbleBundle as a thanks for my new Sims 3 DLC~ 

I noticed you have Assassin's Creed II and Brotherhood in your library, so you should know that it's not as easy as you say, since those two games require Uplay to be played(which while we are at it, is waaaaaaaaaaaay worse than Origin).

#30 Guest_Sarah_*

Guest_Sarah_*

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:58 AM

I noticed you have Assassin's Creed II and Brotherhood in your library, so you should know that it's not as easy as you say, since those two games require Uplay to be played(which while we are at it, is waaaaaaaaaaaay worse than Origin).

Thanks for the heads up, I've not played them on my comp yet, so I've not done the initial setup etc :)

#31 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:01 AM

Thanks for posting this, thankfully I didn't miss it. :)  

As for using Origin, I really don't mind. Yeah EA can suck a fat one but I've had no trouble with Origin itself. Also looks like all the money given goes to the charities so I'm happy about that.

Am I the only one that remembers when Steam came out? It sucked a pile of donkey shit and everyone hated it...

I dunno, even after all the ME3 and Day 1 DLC crap I still play EA games. I see no reason to forego personal happiness or donating to charity just to keep up the shitty boycott cause, but to each their own.

#32 DoNotAnnoyMe

DoNotAnnoyMe
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:16 AM

Spoiler

You completely missed the point on that one. Some people (including myself) have a rather big library (500+ games) which you simply don't have installed all the time. Now such a library costs some money and you want to be sure it's safe and easily accessible. Keeping track of all your games spread around multiple platforms is just a pain tbh (it's already enough of a hassle keeping track of Steam and Desura for me :p)

1. Have you read Steam's EULA? It's pretty fucked up in some points as well.

2. That's pro-Steam, not anti Origin.

3. Can't tell you they didn't destroy franchises because a) in some cases I agree and b) it's completely subjective.

4. Again, completely subjective

5. Already answered ic3doom, Valve sucks at this too.

note that it was just a simple list on why people may not want to use Origin ;)

but to comment:

1) at least it's not spyware  :p

2) see my reply re: Kiwi - it's not an argument against Origin per se, but against switching once you use such a service for a long time

for 3-5: sure they're subjective, but cloud services are always a subjective thing. It's about how comfortable you feel entrusting the company in question your money and data and EA is honestly one of the last I'd entrust either of those (let's just say there's a reason they got "worst company of america" twice in a row) ;)

Am I the only one that remembers when Steam came out? It sucked a pile of donkey shit and everyone hated it...

no, you're not :D however I personally didn't have much of an issue with it - despite the issues at the beginning it was still easier than the manual patching and when the friends stuff came out... joining on friends - awesome. no more awful IP spelling and stupid typos and crap XD and it was still optional, so you could still chose to simply not use it (at least until most servers started refusing non-steam players) :p

Edited by DoNotAnnoyMe, 17 August 2013 - 11:33 AM.

#33 Syntax

Syntax
  • Not an error.

• 991 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:41 AM

Am I the only one who just pirates everything that requires me to go through any program to play? I dislike Steam/Origin/Uplay and most of the games I buy don't require Steam. I was so pissed when I bought Skyrim and realised I needed Steam to play the fucking game.

On the other hand, I've bought/played most of the games in the bundle so I'm also sitting this one out.

Edited by Syntax, 17 August 2013 - 11:42 AM.

#34 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:06 PM

Okay then, please tell me what makes Origin "one of the worst software to ever exist", I'm all ears.

Do you seriously need me to point out that it's 2013 and the beloved software you worship 24/7 is still worse than what Steam was in 2005?

#35 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:32 PM

Do you seriously need me to point out that it's 2013 and the beloved software you worship 24/7 is still worse than what Steam was in 2005?

A) I don't worship Origin, I think Steam is better and I use Steam waaaaaaay more often than Origin, I just think that most of the crap Origin gets is gratuitous.

B) You either didn't use Steam on 2005, never used Origin or are really stupid if you think Steam back then was better than Origin now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users