• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:39 PM

I know some of you aren't from the US, therefore you don't celebrate American Thanksgiving, but I don't think it hurts to ask what everyone is thankful for. 

Seems like the best time of the year to ask, actually!

• I'm thankful for my family. I know people always say this, but I don't know where I would be without their love and support. 
  • I'm thankful that I'm able to go to college. A lot of people can't afford it because it's so expensive so I'm glad I have the resources that make it possible.
  • I'm thankful for sunshine on chilly days. Seriously. I love that it's a little bit chilly, but the sun just warms you up. Not to the point where it's uncomfortable, but the perfect temperature.

You don't have to post only once. As you think of things you're thankful for, keep adding them!

#2 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:21 PM

I am thankful that Thanksgiving in Canada was over a month ago back when it was cool and I'm too hipster to enjoy it now that everyone is catching up

#3 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:26 PM

I am thankful that Thanksgiving in Canada was over a month ago back when it was cool and I'm too hipster to enjoy it now that everyone is catching up

That's why I said a lot of you don't celebrate US Thanksgiving, but it still seems like the perfect time of year to ask this question  :lol:

#4 Nalah

Nalah
  • Can't hug every cat

• 555 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:55 AM

I'm thankful that I'm alive, and that I am just so blessed to be where I am, doing things I love every day. Not to say my life is perfect or anything, but of all the negative things that could happen I know I will be okay in the end.

#5 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:48 AM

Having a big penis and not celebrating a stupid holiday like Thanksgiving.

#6 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:53 AM

Having a big penis and not celebrating a stupid holiday like Thanksgiving.

Whoa whoa whoa.

Thanksgiving is not stupid. It's the best holiday in the whole year.

There's turkey and cranberry sauce and dressing and maque choux and fruit salad and a ton of pie and deviled eggs and I have an excuse to cook for three days solid to make one meal with no one being like wtf overkill.

(To be fair though, we usually make a whole turkey twice a year instead of just once like most Americans.)

#7 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:07 AM

That's why I said a lot of you don't celebrate US Thanksgiving, but it still seems like the perfect time of year to ask this question  :lol:

We still celebrate Thanksgiving, just at a cooler, less "mainstream" one.

JK, but I'm always thankful for my family and friends. Which sounds cliche but this year I've learned I have fucking fantastic friends who will always have my back.

#8 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:12 AM

I am thankful that jesus died on the cross for my sins so that I may live eternally <3

Jesus for admin 2014

#9 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:11 AM

Whoa whoa whoa.

Thanksgiving is not stupid. It's the best holiday in the whole year.

There's turkey and cranberry sauce and dressing and maque choux and fruit salad and a ton of pie and deviled eggs and I have an excuse to cook for three days solid to make one meal with no one being like wtf overkill.

(To be fair though, we usually make a whole turkey twice a year instead of just once like most Americans.)

Aren't you celebrating the mass rape and destruction of a race? Kinda like Columbus Day?

#10 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:34 AM

Aren't you celebrating the mass rape and destruction of a race? Kinda like Columbus Day?

This thread is about being thankful for something. It's not about thanksgiving because I know many people on Codex don't celebrate US thanksgiving. I just wanted to know what people are thankful for in their lives. So if you're not thankful for something besides a "big" dick then that's fine, but stop bringing your smallpox blankets to my happy thread.

#11 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:39 AM

No. We celebrate being alive, having food to eat, the ability to be with our families, and thankfulness.

Columbus Day is a crock of shit.

#12 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:42 AM

I am thankful for Ben and Jerry's ice cream.

When you celebrate Christmas, do you celebrate the birth of a Jewish boy that shaped a branch of faith outside of Judaism? Most people I know don't give a fuck about that and just buy presents for each other just because. Same thing applies to Thanksgiving and its historical context except with food comas and football. Anyway, snaps to what Emily said. This is a giving thanks thread and not a thanksgiving thread.

#13 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:49 AM

Last year I was thankful for cats and weed.

This year I'm still thankful for cats and weed, but also for having such a supportive and tolerant boyfriend and mother. I don't think too many people would be willing to put up with my shit, especially after so many years, so thanks Matt & Mom!

#14 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:52 AM

I don't really understand the concept of being thankful.

#15 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:56 AM

I don't really understand the concept of being thankful.

It makes some people happier.

I personally carry a book around with me and when I'm upset or bored or something, I think about my day and write down a few things that I'm thankful for or that I'm glad I have in my life. I started doing it two years ago and I consider myself a pretty happy girl.

#16 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:19 PM

This thread is about being thankful for something. It's not about thanksgiving because I know many people on Codex don't celebrate US thanksgiving. I just wanted to know what people are thankful for in their lives. So if you're not thankful for something besides a "big" dick then that's fine, but stop bringing your smallpox blankets to my happy thread.

So basically you're just ignoring history and genocide because it doesn't coincide with your rosy little turkey gorging?

I am thankful for Ben and Jerry's ice cream.

When you celebrate Christmas, do you celebrate the birth of a Jewish boy that shaped a branch of faith outside of Judaism? Most people I know don't give a fuck about that and just buy presents for each other just because. Same thing applies to Thanksgiving and its historical context except with food comas and football. Anyway, snaps to what Emily said. This is a giving thanks thread and not a thanksgiving thread.

I don't celebrate Christmas?

No. We celebrate being alive, having food to eat, the ability to be with our families, and thankfulness.

Columbus Day is a crock of shit.

Just like the Indians? Oh wait...

#17 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:29 PM

So basically you're just ignoring history and genocide because it doesn't coincide with your rosy little turkey gorging?

Just like the Indians? Oh wait...

Actually, the Indians celebrated Thanksgiving too.

The Thanksgiving we celebrate today is a combination of the white man Thanksgiving and the Native American Thanksgiving.

#18 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:37 PM

It makes some people happier.

I personally carry a book around with me and when I'm upset or bored or something, I think about my day and write down a few things that I'm thankful for or that I'm glad I have in my life. I started doing it two years ago and I consider myself a pretty happy girl.

Well, I get being glad about things. But gratefulness and thankfulness are different. I'm responsible for everything in my life that isn't happenstance, and the rest is just that; happenstance. There's nothing to be thankful for, except towards actual people.

I can be grateful to Cristen for making me a cup of tea. I can't be thankful "for tea". It doesn't make sense.

#19 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:40 PM

Well, I get being glad about things. But gratefulness and thankfulness are different. I'm responsible for everything in my life that isn't happenstance, and the rest is just that; happenstance. There's nothing to be thankful for, except towards actual people.

I can be grateful to Cristen for making me a cup of tea. I can't be thankful "for tea". It doesn't make sense.

...but isn't that what thankful means? Glad that something has happened or exists?

#20 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:45 PM

...but isn't that what thankful means? Glad that something has happened or exists?

As far as I'm concerned, thanks require a concrete object.

#21 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:53 PM

As far as I'm concerned, thanks require a concrete object.

I would consider tea a concrete object.

#22 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:09 PM

I would consider tea a concrete object.

... thanking tea is not the same as being thankful for tea.

#23 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:12 PM

I never said I was ignoring it. I said THIS THREAD in particular is about being thankful for things you have in your life. Like, I don't know, the fact that there's someone out there who has it worse than you. You should be thankful for the blessings and privileges you have in your life - like the fact that you have your health unlike other unfortunate people who are suffering or like people who don't have things that you may have.

This thread is about being thankful, and I'm thankful for and respect your opinion. However, I would rather not have negativity on a thread that was meant to be positive.

Edited by Emily, 21 November 2013 - 02:00 PM.

#24 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:52 PM

... thanking tea is not the same as being thankful for tea.

That's because thanking and being thankful are two different things?

#25 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:56 PM

That's because thanking and being thankful are two different things?

Well, yes, one is a verb, and the other is an adjective that describes the state of performing the verb. Since you can't thank without an object of the thanks, you can't be thankful without an object for the thanks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: giving, thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users