This...

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#26 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:12 AM

I am spending most of my week keeping our pipes unfrozen.

Can you not put a lot of lagging around the accessible ones?

Meanwhile, in merry old Blighty, it's currently 10C in the middle of winter. :p (Ignoring the fact that half the country is currently under water though)

#27 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:29 AM

Can you not put a lot of lagging around the accessible ones?

Yeah, we can put lagging on them, but we don't have a foundation, so there is wind chill under the house.

With wind chill, it was -40 here yesterday :p

Run the taps periodically through the day, flush the toilets too. Open kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing :)

Yeah, I'm on it.

#28 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:27 AM

Never have I been so happy for 40F and Rain.. woot pacific northwest

#29 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:11 PM

Yeah, we can put lagging on them, but we don't have a foundation, so there is wind chill under the house.

With wind chill, it was -40 here yesterday :p

No foundation?!

Edit: Oh right no earthquakes.

Edited by Ivysaur, 07 January 2014 - 05:11 PM.

#30 Plunk

Plunk
  • Official Neocodex Dollface

• 545 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:27 PM

This is what happened the last time I was up at 5am and decided to cook myself some breakfast.

Spoiler

I somehow splashed a ton of bacon grease on my hand. It still turns purple when it gets cold, and this happened like, two or three years ago.

#31 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:13 PM

Meanwhile, in merry old Blighty, it's currently 10C in the middle of winter.  :p (Ignoring the fact that half the country is currently under water though)

All this rain is getting so freaking annoying ;_; I live near a river so hopefully it won't flood hahaha....

#32 Syntax

Syntax
  • Not an error.

• 991 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:20 AM

Erm... uncooked? 

In the :UK very few sausages are sold ready to eat. Only really spiced sausage. 

I don't think I've ever seen uncooked sausage here. What counts as uncooked? Frozen?

#33 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:26 AM

No foundation?!
Edit: Oh right no earthquakes.

It's nothing to do with earthquakes. We live in a hand-built cabin that did not have a foundation put in.

#34 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:48 AM

I don't think I've ever seen uncooked sausage here. What counts as uncooked? Frozen?

Uncooked is raw pork meat with sausage seasoning and can be either frozen or fresh. Here, it's sold in either links, patties, or in bulk. We also have links and patties pre-cooked.

#35 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:59 AM

Uncooked is raw pork meat with sausage seasoning and can be either frozen or fresh. Here, it's sold in either links, patties, or in bulk. We also have links and patties pre-cooked.

Not necessarily pork, but yeah.

I'm still having trouble believing that someone old enough to cook sausage on their own doesn't know that some sausage is not already cooked. I mean, who needs "uncooked" explaining to them?!

#36 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:15 AM

I'm still having trouble believing that someone old enough to cook sausage on their own doesn't know that some sausage is not already cooked. I mean, who needs "uncooked" explaining to them?!

Dear, your grammar has become horrible since you've been in America.

#37 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:16 AM

Yeah, I deleted it once or twice and decided to keep it simple. You can make sausage with virtually any kind of meat, even things like ostrich or alligator.

#38 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:36 AM

Dear, your grammar has become horrible since you've been in America.

That was a perfectly acceptable construction, smart ass :p

#39 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:30 AM

It's nothing to do with earthquakes. We live in a hand-built cabin that did not have a foundation put in.

Well there's a job to keep you busy for a while. :p Retroactive foundation installation.

#40 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:41 AM

Can we go back to how interesting the sausage situation is? 
I haven't been able to eat much of anything for days but those sausages are looking pretty appetizing to me at the moment.

#41 Syntax

Syntax
  • Not an error.

• 991 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:50 AM

Meh. Then yeah, there's uncooked sausages here, but it's expensive. I don't know what the proper definition is; I mean, even if it came pre-cooked you'd still need to put it to boil/fry when you want to eat it, else it'd be nasty and cold. Which means that all sausages require some sort of cooking, so to me there's little difference. I just never eat them, that's all. The ones I do eat come in a pack and I put them in instant noodles.

Edited by Syntax, 08 January 2014 - 08:53 AM.

#42 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:03 AM

Meh. Then yeah, there's uncooked sausages here, but it's expensive. I don't know what the proper definition is; I mean, even if it came pre-cooked you'd still need to put it to boil/fry when you want to eat it, else it'd be nasty and cold. Which means that all sausages require some sort of cooking, so to me there's little difference. I just never eat them, that's all. The ones I do eat come in a pack and I put them in instant noodles.

Sweetheart, heating something up to make it palatable is not cooking.

Well there's a job to keep you busy for a while. :p Retroactive foundation installation.

It's been talked about. It's a project that I would not want to do all on my own, and not when it's this bloody cold!

#43 Tubbz

Tubbz
  • The High Fairy of Priestessvil.

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:04 AM

The meat inside is raw. Like hasn't ever been cooked at all, would give you some serious food poisoning if eaten. 

#44 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:07 AM

It's been talked about. It's a project that I would not want to do all on my own, and not when it's this bloody cold!

You could always just get 1000 cans of that expanding foam filler stuff. :p Not quite a proper foundation but much more fun.

#45 Syntax

Syntax
  • Not an error.

• 991 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:02 AM

Sweetheart, heating something up to make it palatable is not cooking.

I appreciate your condescension.

#46 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:41 AM

You could always just get 1000 cans of that expanding foam filler stuff. :p Not quite a proper foundation but much more fun.

Much of the plumbing in our kitchen is held together with that stuff. Cristen's grandad, our landlord, loves it.

Almost as much as he loves crazyglue.

#47 GhostMommy

GhostMommy
  • 559 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:57 PM

What a lovely kitchen,  is that real or faux marble?  It looks real!   We also have a few ducks in our kitchen.   

What do you do with the water after you boil the sausage?

#48 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:14 PM

I believe it's a granite bench top ;)

#49 GhostMommy

GhostMommy
  • 559 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:29 PM

It looks like the Italian marble tables we have (reproductions but real marble).  I suppose granite is the much more likely material. 

We boil hot dogs, brats and mertz, but I think we'd always fry sausage.  Unless it was deer summer sausage.    Most people around here eat patty sausage for breakfast, so that is about the size of a hamburger that you fry like a hamburger.   Some people then take the grease and make milk gravy but that also explains why heart disease is a major killer in Nebraskansas.

??Bench top?   You don't call it a counter top?

Edited by Tritium, 08 January 2014 - 02:30 PM.

#50 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:33 PM

Some people then take the grease and make milk gravy but that also explains why heart disease is a major killer in Nebraskansas.

I think this is a myth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users