This...

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#51 GhostMommy

GhostMommy
  • 559 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

What is a myth?  I saw Granny G take the grease after frying sausage, pour some flour into the pan and let it brown, and then added milk to make gravy.  Made me sick.   Mom taught me to make it by taking some sausage or hamburger, cooking in the microwave.  The drain the grease, add flour and milk, and then zap until it starts to rise like a soufflé .

#52 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:45 PM

What is a myth?  I saw Granny G take the grease after frying sausage, pour some flour into the pan and let it brown, and then added milk to make gravy.  Made me sick.   Mom taught me to make it by taking some sausage or hamburger, cooking in the microwave.  The drain the grease, add flour and milk, and then zap until it starts to rise like a soufflé .

No, that it causes heart disease. I know how to make gravy.

#53 GhostMommy

GhostMommy
  • 559 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:50 PM

Well  Granny G is certainly dead.

#54 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

I'll let you know when I die.

#55 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:31 AM

No, that it causes heart disease. I know how to make gravy.

Let's assume that she is talking about cholesterol-related risk factors, since that is the only thing even remotely related to gravy. It is suggested, to lower cholesterol, that people should avoid saturated fats.
In a 3oz serving of homemade white gravy, there is approximately 2g of total fats. This is 2.9% of the RDA for adult women. But unsaturated fats are irrelevant, so let's look at saturated fats only. The total amount of saturated fat in homemade white gravy is...

*drumroll*

...negligible. Trace. Practically zero.

So, probably not a significant contributor to the risk of heart disease then. Quelle surprise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users