• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Tubbz

Tubbz
  • The High Fairy of Priestessvil.

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:23 PM

It seems like everywhere in the world, competitions work on a league system, where a fixed number of teams all play each other twice (once home and once away) and the winner is the team with the most wins at the end of the year claims the title. (with a few exceptions where there's a top X play off for the title) 

Things like the super bowl confuse me. Who decides who's playing in the super bowl? 

There's 8 groups of teams at the moment in the football competition(s?) who plays who and how do you decide who plays who? 

Also, what's wrong with a draw (tie game)? Do any of your sports end in a draw? 

#2 aowpie

aowpie
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:48 PM

American football there are 2 "leagues"

AFC

NFC

In those 2 Leagues there are 4 divisions
AFC East

AFC North
AFC South

AFC West

NFC East
NFC North

NFC South
AFC West

As far as schedule since there are only 17 games its hard to play everyone even once so what they do is each team plays the other teams in their division twice, and the rest I think are completely random.  So some teams do have easier schedules than others which kind of sucks, but its hard for them to play more than 17 games in a season because they get hurt too often and you only play one game a week.

4 playoff spots are given to the winners of the afc divisions and 4 to the winners of the nfc divisions.  2 more spots are given to the next two teams from each league that have the highest record regardless of division.  The top 2 teams with the best record in each league are given a first round playoff bye while the other 8 play each other.

Here is a link to this years playoff bracket.  This year the Broncos and Patriots had the afc byes while the Seahawks and Panthers had the NFC byes.  Hope this helps!
http://www.cbssports...tseason/bracket

And Hockey and football can end in ties, but the rest of the sports cant.  Football ties are very rare, theres at most one a year.

Edited by aowpie, 12 January 2014 - 06:50 PM.

#3 Tubbz

Tubbz

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:55 PM

The system kind of makes sense because of the size of the country. 

I didn't think hockey could end in a tie? 

"As of the 2005-06 season, the NHL has adopted the shootout to settle ties in regular season games. The shootout is used if the game remains tied after five minutes of overtime."

Did they change that back? 

#4 aowpie

aowpie
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:03 PM

The system kind of makes sense because of the size of the country. 

I didn't think hockey could end in a tie? 

"As of the 2005-06 season, the NHL has adopted the shootout to settle ties in regular season games. The shootout is used if the game remains tied after five minutes of overtime."

Did they change that back? 

Oh apparently they cant! Im not a huge hockey fan haha.  

#5 Speedracer

Speedracer
  • The Triforce of Herp

• 771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:21 PM

As aowpie explained there are only 16 games played in a season (17 weeks) mainly due to the violent nature of the sport, there is a week between games and a longer season isn't really in demand. So unlike hockey or basketball there simply aren't enough games to play everyone to determine an overall winner. 

I'm not sure why playoff systems are used in the NBA and NHL. I think mainly because its a system people are accustomed to and the elimination style brings an added level of excitement for the fans and more revenue for the teams. Plus with a playoff system underdog team that wasn't the best in the regular season can win the championship.

Hope that made sense, aowpie did a much better job. 

#6 Tubbz

Tubbz

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:41 AM

As aowpie explained there are only 16 games played in a season (17 weeks) mainly due to the violent nature of the sport, there is a week between games and a longer season isn't really in demand. So unlike hockey or basketball there simply aren't enough games to play everyone to determine an overall winner. 

I'm not sure why playoff systems are used in the NBA and NHL. I think mainly because its a system people are accustomed to and the elimination style brings an added level of excitement for the fans and more revenue for the teams. Plus with a playoff system underdog team that wasn't the best in the regular season can win the championship.

Hope that made sense, aowpie did a much better job. 

Is hockey not just as rough as football? 

Our rugby season is 22 games. the players also have international duty, and 2 other potential cup runs. 

Rugby is kind of the exception to the standard league format in the fact that the top 4 teams play off for the title, rather than say soccer where the top team just wins the division title. 

#7 Speedracer

Speedracer
  • The Triforce of Herp

• 771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:57 AM

Is hockey not just as rough as football? 

It can be as rough but it isn't as frequent. In hockey you may have 40-50 hits in total for a game, football every play (~100 plays) at least one person is getting hit (the ball carrier). Also on every play you have defensive linemen colliding with offensive linemen trying to get to the quarterback, then everyone blocks if it is a run play. The hits I would think are harder in football than hockey just because you can go faster running than skating and are tackling instead of just running into someone. If you haven't before I would suggest watching at least part of a football game just to get a sense for how frequently people are hit.

In football there is also 4 pre-season games and up to 4 playoff games so you could play in up to 24 games.

The only format I can watch soccer in is the world cup its just too low scoring of a sport for me. Rugby I have never seen and I don't believe is on tv or anything here to see it.

#8 Tubbz

Tubbz

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:11 AM

It can be as rough but it isn't as frequent. In hockey you may have 40-50 hits in total for a game, football every play (~100 plays) at least one person is getting hit (the ball carrier). Also on every play you have defensive linemen colliding with offensive linemen trying to get to the quarterback, then everyone blocks if it is a run play. The hits I would think are harder in football than hockey just because you can go faster running than skating and are tackling instead of just running into someone. If you haven't before I would suggest watching at least part of a football game just to get a sense for how frequently people are hit.

In football there is also 4 pre-season games and up to 4 playoff games so you could play in up to 24 games.

The only format I can watch soccer in is the world cup its just too low scoring of a sport for me. Rugby I have never seen and I don't believe is on tv or anything here to see it.

I watch a lot of football (or as much as I can for something that's not televised here regularly) so know how often collisions occur.

The thing I don't understand is why the system is set up the way it is.

The collisions in football vs rugby (again don't want to get into debate over which hits harder) are about the same and top level rugby players can play 40 times in a world cup year. When you think that the average force of a scrummage collision is around 1 tonne and that happens 10-20+ times a game, the strain on players is huge. 

Soccer, I don't enjoy watching, and there's complaint they play too many games now (how that happens, I don't know)

#9 Speedracer

Speedracer
  • The Triforce of Herp

• 771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:27 PM

I watch a lot of football (or as much as I can for something that's not televised here regularly) so know how often collisions occur.

The thing I don't understand is why the system is set up the way it is.

The collisions in football vs rugby (again don't want to get into debate over which hits harder) are about the same and top level rugby players can play 40 times in a world cup year. When you think that the average force of a scrummage collision is around 1 tonne and that happens 10-20+ times a game, the strain on players is huge. 

Soccer, I don't enjoy watching, and there's complaint they play too many games now (how that happens, I don't know)

Again I have never seen rugby so I can't speak on that matter.

However, part of the reason football is set up that way is because of negotiation between NFL and the NFLPA for the length of the season. The players want to limit games so they have less wear and tear on their bodies (play more seasons to make more money) and the league wants more games so they can make more money. It boils down to however they can make the most money and having a playoff system after a regular season makes them a tremendous amount of it. Last years Super Bowl it cost ~$4 million for a 30 second ad space. 

Plus in soccer they flop sooo much 

#10 Tubbz

Tubbz

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:33 PM

Again I have never seen rugby so I can't speak on that matter.

However, part of the reason football is set up that way is because of negotiation between NFL and the NFLPA for the length of the season. The players want to limit games so they have less wear and tear on their bodies (play more seasons to make more money) and the league wants more games so they can make more money. It boils down to however they can make the most money and having a playoff system after a regular season makes them a tremendous amount of it. Last years Super Bowl it cost ~$4 million for a 30 second ad space. 

Plus in soccer they flop sooo much 

Soccer is barely a sport, let's not mention wendy ball any more. 

What's the average age of retirement from Football? Rugby's a strange one. It seems to be people stop playing around 30-35 or into their 60s (in the amateur game at least)

#11 Speedracer

Speedracer
  • The Triforce of Herp

• 771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:11 PM

What's the average age of retirement from Football? Rugby's a strange one. It seems to be people stop playing around 30-35 or into their 60s (in the amateur game at least)

According to the NFLPA the average career is 3 1/2 seasons. Most players retire in their early 30's, very very few make it into their 40's and almost all of those players are either quarterbacks or kickers that don't get hit frequently. 

#12 Tubbz

Tubbz

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:42 PM

According to the NFLPA the average career is 3 1/2 seasons. Most players retire in their early 30's, very very few make it into their 40's and almost all of those players are either quarterbacks or kickers that don't get hit frequently. 

Wow that's bad... I see why they get paid so much now. 

#13 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

Wow that's bad... I see why they get paid so much now.

They can still get a job afterwards, it's not like they're disqualified from any other work for the rest of their lives after retiring from sports.

#14 Tubbz

Tubbz

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:48 PM

They can still get a job afterwards, it's not like they're disqualified from any other work for the rest of their lives after retiring from sports.

I suppose unlike soccer players, most of them go through college to get scouted, before they turn pro, so do have qualifications. 

#15 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:49 PM

I suppose unlike soccer players, most of them go through college to get scouted, before they turn pro, so do have qualifications.

Nigga plz. After all the connections these people make in their professional lives, you think they need "qualifications"? Pish.

#16 Tubbz

Tubbz

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:51 PM

Nigga plz. After all the connections these people make in their professional lives, you think they need "qualifications"? Pish.

True, but if they need a real job/have as much personality as Wayne Rooney. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users