Neopets App! (FINALLY...)

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 Hummingway

Hummingway
  • 433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:47 AM

Neopets is releasing a tie-in app at last. The trailer can be found here. You can also vote for the name of the app.

What name did you pick? What are your opinions on this new leap in technology?

I personally think its great. Neopets is finally moving forward with the times, this'll also make it easier to access the game instead of going on the internet on your phone where flash doesn't work.

#2 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:49 AM

I think the idea is good and might well breathe some more life into the neopets community - if they do it right.

Unfortunately I can see them striking out in true neopets style and producing an unreliable useless app.  :sleep:

#3 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:52 AM

I feel it's a case of too little, too late for this one. They have missed the chance on Mobile applications and are trying to jump in and swim for the sailing ship they failed to notice leaving. I agree though, it does look neat from the preview video, but how much will it revive the Neopets phenomenon? I guess only time will tell....

#4 Eefi

Eefi
  • 1337 h4x0r

• 1626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:52 AM

Can't login right now, so what's it for? I can access the website on my smartphone just fine so what benefit is there in having an app? I hate it when I browse to a website and these notifications keep popping up if I want to download their app. If done right, a mobile version will work and look almost like an app anyway. Except it can't grab all the data from my smartphone (which is good).

#5 Fat

Fat
  • 30 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:46 AM

It is going to be SO EMBARRASSING if people find out that there's a NEOPET GO app in your gadget when you are already in your early 20s.  :unsure:

Not going to download it therefore.

#6 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:49 AM

It is going to be SO EMBARRASSING if people find out that there's a NEOPET GO app in your gadget when you are already in your early 20s.  :unsure:

Not going to download it therefore.

Why is it embarrassing?

#7 iKate

iKate
  • Cat Lady

• 1707 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:55 AM

I don't like the names, but I voted for Neopets Mobile. I think it's a good idea, better now than never.

Edited by iKate, 05 February 2014 - 04:56 AM.

#8 Florg

Florg
  • 711 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:00 AM

I didn't like any of the names either.

But in all honesty, I won't have much use of the app. I'm always near at computer xD

#9 iKate

iKate
  • Cat Lady

• 1707 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:04 AM

Is it possible to run cheat programs on a phone/tablet?

#10 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:05 AM

Of course, if they're coded for it.
iPhone would be hard, since the app would have to be approved (or used on a jailbroken device). The other systems would be comparatively simple.

#11 iKate

iKate
  • Cat Lady

• 1707 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:20 AM

Of course, if they're coded for it.
iPhone would be hard, since the app would have to be approved (or used on a jailbroken device). The other systems would be comparatively simple.

Huh, didn't know this. Can I download it somewhere?

#12 Eefi

Eefi
  • 1337 h4x0r

• 1626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:26 AM

I loved the web remote control when I was using Abrosia. Wasn't very robust though. A web app to monitor running programs at home is great. I wouldn't recommend running programs on a phone directly because of latency and general connection issues.

#13 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:27 AM

Huh, didn't know this. Can I download it somewhere?

Download what?

#14 iKate

iKate
  • Cat Lady

• 1707 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:36 AM

I loved the web remote control when I was using Abrosia. Wasn't very robust though. A web app to monitor running programs at home is great. I wouldn't recommend running programs on a phone directly because of latency and general connection issues.

Yeah, I can access my computer on my iPad, but only when connected to the same ip adress. 

Download what?

Cheat programs that work on a phone.

#15 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:40 AM

Cheat programs that work on a phone.

I don't think they exist.

#16 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:41 AM

There aren't any programs that run on mobile. At least, not on Neocodex.

There's no chance Apple or Microsoft would approve an app that outright breaks ToS, and unfortunately you can only run pre-approved apps from the app stores on iOS / Windows Phone (without some kind of jailbreak)

Android, on the other hand, is a different kettle of fish -- as it has the option to install packages from sources other than Google Play.

Realistically if you were going to write something for mobile you'd providing some kind of web front end to control programs that *actually* run in the cloud somewhere.

Spoiler

#17 Syntax

Syntax
  • Not an error.

• 991 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:45 AM

I would much rather they do a mobile site instead of a full app, though kudos to them for listening (however long it took them to) to the users cause I know a lot of people were clamouring for one.

#18 iKate

iKate
  • Cat Lady

• 1707 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:50 AM

I don't think they exist.

I saw a screenshot of someone running a score sender on his phone a while ago though.

#19 Kway

Kway
  • Proud to be a Brony

• 1242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:51 AM

Porting the programs to mobiles would be too obvious. Being able to compete with desktop users on a mobile unoptimized site that uses mostly flash? The only way such a thing would look legit coming from a mobile connection is if a tether is involved. It would also be far easier for TNT to take action against you irl and it is normally against the agreement with your mobile service provider (unless you are allowed to tether, the "somebody hacked into my wifi" excuse won't cut it).

#20 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:55 AM

Porting the programs to mobiles would be too obvious. Being able to compete with desktop users on a mobile unoptimized site that uses mostly flash? The only way such a thing would look legit coming from a mobile connection is if a tether is involved. It would also be far easier for TNT to take action against you irl and it is normally against the agreement with your mobile service provider (unless you are allowed to tether, the "somebody hacked into my wifi" excuse won't cut it).

The only way Neopets would be able to tell you're making requests on your mobile would be through the user-agent header you provide. Provide a different user agent, and you'll make it look like you're accessing from a normal desktop browser.

#21 Harlow

Harlow
  • 183 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:07 AM

Codexians, on top of cheating on an app that's not even available yet. I like it.

#22 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:49 AM

The only way Neopets would be able to tell you're making requests on your mobile would be through the user-agent header you provide. Provide a different user agent, and you'll make it look like you're accessing from a normal desktop browser.

Couldn't you just install it on a virtual machine and packet sniff it anyway? As long as the data being sent is the same then it should be fine.

#23 Kway

Kway
  • Proud to be a Brony

• 1242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:56 AM

The IP address will still lead back to a mobile service provider.

#24 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:59 AM

The IP address will still lead back to a mobile service provider.

What about people using Wi-Fi?

#25 Prisca

Prisca
  • Clouded Liberty

• 2494 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:02 PM

Codexians, on top of cheating on an app that's not even available yet. I like it.

lol :)

i voted neopets mobile,,, the word 'go' just isnt that awesome lol.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users