60 replies to this topic

#1 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:28 PM

Hey guys, 

I just wanted to touch base with you on the changes we are making in regards to the new awards system.

It seems there was a lot of confusion as to whether it was live yet or not. I would like to confirm that it is NOT live yet and is just about to come out of testing. Those awards that are there now will be removed and replaced with the proper ones with their own set criteria. 

NO, THERE WILL BE NO CLIQUE-Y AWARDS -_- Each 'exclusive' award will have its own set criteria for the forum and activity, not because you're friends with the user that owns it. Furthermore, the exclusive ones will be handed out by one staff member each. Staff will be the only ones to have exclusive awards. The ones that are there now under the 'Exclusive' set will all be removed as these were part of the test process.

As for other awards, we will be doing up an award design contest soon enough with a set list of awards that we will need. There will also be the opportunity to submit your own awards with set criteria for 'secret' awards. We are yet to work out that aspect of things. But rest assured this will be done right, when the time comes to implement them.

If you have any suggestions (decent, constructive ones, nothing outrageous please) for awards and their criteria, you may list them here and we can discuss it. A list of all reasonable award criteria that is suggested here will be kept and we will look into getting them made up and put in place asap.

So yeah, that's about all I think that needs to be said on the matter for now. We hope that you're enjoying the new system so far and that you will be more accepting of it when the awards criteria is properly addressed.

Cheers,

Mike and the Staff.

#2 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:43 PM

Summary:

Quit the bitching until after it's released officially (then bitch constructively).

#3 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:46 PM

Also, It's up to the staff member who created their 'exclusive' award to decide whether or not they want their criteria to be public or secret. I think the mystery of a secret award is good and is a way for people to increase their activity around the place. The criteria will range from very easy for some, to not so easy (but achievable) on others.

#4 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:36 PM

So the staff will pick their own awards for them personally and then we have to guess how to achieve for ourselves?

#5 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:39 PM

So the staff will pick their own awards for them personally and then we have to guess how to achieve for ourselves?

Well, for example. I made mine, the criteria is veeeeeeeeeery easily achievable by any user new or old and has already been given to a number of people. 
However the criteria won't be revealed to anyone besides the rest of the staff. If people figure it out and decide to share, that's completely fine :p

#6 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:43 PM

:o new award

Well said Strat, I'm all out of reps for the day :p

#7 blue

blue
  • doge

• 2048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:14 PM

Cool stuff, but can we please have an option to toggle to see them on or off in our User CP.

Also whenever a Mod isn't a mod anymore, resigned or kicked off idgaf, will their respective achievements be retired with them?

#8 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:21 PM

Cool stuff, but can we please have an option to toggle to see them on or off in our User CP.

Also whenever a Mod isn't a mod anymore, resigned or kicked off idgaf, will their respective achievements be retired with them?

Details like that will be explained more in-depth when the official announcement is made. We're still working out the bugs, remember :p 
Testing-phase and what not. 

But I'm sure since they won't be around to award it, it will probably retire with them.

#9 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:47 AM

i don't mind the secret awards at all... i think they're pretty cool. we could discuss publicly how to get them, i suppose? something like how people discuss how to get secret avatars in neopets... :)

and yay at the award designing contest! i suck at pixel stuff but it worth a try.

Edited by Stuck, 02 March 2014 - 12:47 AM.

#10 Eefi

Eefi
  • 1337 h4x0r

• 1626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:03 AM

and yay at the award designing contest! i suck at pixel stuff but it worth a try.

Pff, after owning the userbar contest, I don't believe you at all.

I'm looking forward to those contests, it bothers me a bit that the icons right now are not consistent in style x'D

Edited by Eefi, 02 March 2014 - 01:04 AM.

#11 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:10 AM

Pff, after owning the userbar contest, I don't believe you at all.

I'm looking forward to those contests, it bothers me a bit that the icons right now are not consistent in style x'D

i'm telling the truth! :innocent:

really? i think they're pretty consistent. it's just some of them are a tiny bit blurry, i don't know.

#12 Eefi

Eefi
  • 1337 h4x0r

• 1626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:29 AM

really? i think they're pretty consistent. it's just some of them are a tiny bit blurry, i don't know.

The blurriness is part of it, it's hard to explain :/ Another part of it is that e.g. Sweeney made very dark outlines for the post count awards and some others like the coffee cup have softened outlines and softer shading.

#13 Tubbz

Tubbz
  • The High Fairy of Priestessvil.

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:07 AM

They're looking pretty good :) 

#14 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:27 AM

Cool. A couple questions:

• Why the fuck do I have a medal that says I'm nice? MY REPUTATION IS ON THE LINE
  • Is there something I'm supposed to do to get the post count/attic ones added (apart from nagging a staff member)?

#15 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:27 AM

The blurriness is part of it, it's hard to explain :/ Another part of it is that e.g. Sweeney made very dark outlines for the post count awards and some others like the coffee cup have softened outlines and softer shading.

I think it's because Sweeney didn't make all of them... I think I saw somewhere that Emily picked a free pic online for the coffee cup.

#16 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:11 AM

Yeah, there will be inconsistencies with the styles for the awards. For example, I made mine from scratch on microsoft paint (as you can plainly tell xD)

#17 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:19 AM

Yeah, I made mine as well. I think the blurriest one I noticed is the Love Bug. 
It's not pixellated. 

#18 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:30 AM

Also, award ideas (some of these might be redundant from the previous thread)

• # of threads created
  • Rep
  • # of SOTW won / placed in
  • # of blogs posted
  • If the itemdb leaderboard is ever restored, # of UBs priced

#19 Keil

Keil

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:35 AM

Out of all those ideas, the one I don't agree with is the SOTW won/placed. We already have a userbar for that and I feel like a userbar + awards is showing off too much for the same idea.

#20 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:41 AM

Out of all those ideas, the one I don't agree with is the SOTW won/placed. We already have a userbar for that and I feel like a userbar + awards is showing off too much for the same idea.

Has the userbar actually been used? I haven't seen any (...maybe because I don't pay enough attention). To me, it seems like an award makes more sense than a userbar for SOTW, since it can have incremental levels.

I agree that having both would be too much.

#21 Keil

Keil

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:45 AM

I forget whether or not someone has achieved the SOTW userbar as of yet, but the requirements are either placing 1st twice (non-consecutive) or placing top three in five contests after the release of the userbar.

#22 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:53 AM

@Bone no one has actually officially received it as of yet, though it was tested on @Liesa
However, as pretty as the userbar is, I tend to agree with you that there should be an award instead. I feel like the userbars should display ranks and the awards are meant to show off achievements such as winning x amount of SOTW comps. 

Also, there are currently only two usergroups so what if someone with two usergroups, like Kat for example, wins? She would have to replace either her Beta Tester bar or her Adv+ Bar, and that doesn't really seem fair imo.

#23 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:54 AM

• If the itemdb leaderboard is ever restored, # of UBs priced

I'd be concerned that could lead to the possibility of some people submitting prices just to get the award (regardless of price accuracy). :/

#24 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:01 AM

I'd be concerned that could lead to the possibility of some people submitting prices just to get the award (regardless of price accuracy). :/

Well, you still need 500 posts to price the db as far as I know, so hopefully who's been around for that long would know better than to do that.

...that might be expecting too much.

#25 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:02 AM

Has the userbar actually been used? I haven't seen any (...maybe because I don't pay enough attention). To me, it seems like an award makes more sense than a userbar for SOTW, since it can have incremental levels.

I agree that having both would be too much.

@Bone no one has actually officially received it as of yet, though it was tested on @Liesa
However, as pretty as the userbar is, I tend to agree with you that there should be an award instead. I feel like the userbars should display ranks and the awards are meant to show off achievements such as winning x amount of SOTW comps. 

Also, there are currently only two usergroups so what if someone with two usergroups, like Kat for example, wins? She would have to replace either her Beta Tester bar or her Adv+ Bar, and that doesn't really seem fair imo.

I also agree that it would make much more sense to use awards in place of the SOTW userbar, and it would eliminate my original concerns about how the userbar is awarded.

Edited by Trichomes, 02 March 2014 - 10:04 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users