Photo

Identification of Electronic Goods

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Doomsday

Doomsday
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:16 AM

If you're like me and you have a tonne of electronic gadges plugged into the same socket (ie my TV, Surround Sound, XB1, Desktop Computer and Laptop Power in 1 house and TV, Surround Sound, Powered Sub, PS3, Desktop, x2 Laptops, External Powered TB HDD) then when it comes time to disconnecting some of these items for whatever reason, you have to trace back what exactly the fuck it is before you pull the plug.

I found this lifehack somewhere else, so I can't take credit for it, but grab a breadclip (pictured) and using a sharpie, write the device on one or both sides of the clip.  Attached it to the power cable right before the plug and then plug it into your power board.  When you need to remove a single device, you can simply read which one you need to pull instead of tracing it back or playing Russian Roullette.

Attached Files

#2 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:32 AM

This one is actually really handy, I have a power board with about 6 different plugs in my home theatre room and this would help a tonne! Thanks man, can't believe I didn't know about this one sooner.

#3 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:22 AM

What in god's name is a breadclip?

#4 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:27 AM

Here's a couple of examples of them in use:

Spoiler

#5 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:48 AM

We just usually have small sticky plastic bits like this:

bread_1017902c.jpg

#6 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:01 AM

We just usually have small sticky plastic bits like this:

bread_1017902c.jpg

I despise those sticky plastic bits! :p We have them on some breads here (usually from the bakeries, not supermarkets) and they're a bitch to undo/open. Also, what do you do when you want to seal the bag back up again? Put a whole new sticky 'tape' on there?

#7 Bee

Bee
  • 1169 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:06 AM

I despise those sticky plastic bits! :p We have them on some breads here (usually from the bakeries, not supermarkets) and they're a bitch to undo/open. Also, what do you do when you want to seal the bag back up again? Put a whole new sticky 'tape' on there?

I just reuse the sticky bit that comes with the loaf. Or tie the bag up. This is the first I'm hearing of a breadclip.

#8 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:30 AM

I associate breadclips exclusively with America :p

(And now Australia, I suppose...)

#9 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:45 AM

I love breadclips. I use them for everything! 
loljk, I only use them to tie off bread.
While this is really handy I doubt I'd use it because I wouldn't want breadclips just sitting around my house, doesn't match the decor.

#10 Doomsday

Doomsday
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:45 AM

And here I was thinking your countries were developed.

@Kate - Most of my cables are black or grey, so I tag them with white breadclips only :p  Gotta keep some sort of interior design thing going.

Edited by Doomsday, 19 March 2014 - 03:46 AM.

#11 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:47 AM

I suppose a lot of cables are behind things too, like entertainment stands.

#12 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:16 AM

I love breadclips. I use them for everything! 
loljk, I only use them to tie off bread.
While this is really handy I doubt I'd use it because I wouldn't want breadclips just sitting around my house, doesn't match the decor.

I don't keep breadclips around because they're a choking hazard. I'm also assuming by the time all my kids are out of the house, I'll be in a nursing home or EMPs will keep all devices perpetually charged.

#13 iKate

iKate
  • Cat Lady

• 1707 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:30 AM

Oh wow this is handy, thanks for the tip!

#14 Tubbz

Tubbz
  • The High Fairy of Priestessvil.

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:38 AM

My nan got sent a set of plug stickers by some magazine she subscribes to.
So useful when you're trying to fix anything for her (and by fix, I mean turn off for 30s and turn back on again)

#15 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:05 AM

Screw identifying electronics, my mind is still blown by this breadclip malarkey. I always lose the stupid plastic sticker tie things.

#16 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:07 AM

What's wrong with just twisting the bag? O_o A 'breadclip' might just be one of the most useless things (for its intended purpose) I've seen for a long time (perhaps since I saw a 'banana case'...). :p

#17 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:10 AM

I just use twisty ties. I honestly hate when bags have those things around them, they're really annoying for me to get off and I pretty much end up ripping the bag. Though using them for wires is a good idea, I would if I had any of them.

Edited by Satsuki, 19 March 2014 - 09:11 AM.

#18 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:11 AM

I'd be a little concerned about the breadclip pinching/digging into some of my flimsier cables, but my cable management sucks, so maybe I should try this.

I just use twisty ties. I honestly hate when bags have those things around them, they're really annoying for me to get off and I pretty much end up ripping the bag. Though using them for wires is a good idea, I would if I had any of them.

This. I usually end up breaking or losing breadclips, so I use twist ties. I still prefer breadclips to those pain in the ass plastic sticker tie things.

Edited by Trichomes, 19 March 2014 - 09:22 AM.

#19 wildwolfspirit

wildwolfspirit
  • 57 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:20 AM

To close bread after opening:

Step one:

Grasp open end of bag with one hand (while the weight of the bread/gravity pulls the bag down)

Step two:

With empty hand twist the part of the bag with the bread in it (at this point the bread should be spinning wonderfully and wrapping the empty plastic around itself)

Step three:

Tuck open end of plastic under bread.

*If it doesn't work correctly the first time, pull head out of butt and repeat steps 1-3 :p

#20 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:29 AM

To close bread after opening:

Step one:

Grasp open end of bag with one hand (while the weight of the bread/gravity pulls the bag down)

Step two:

With empty hand twist the part of the bag with the bread in it (at this point the bread should be spinning wonderfully and wrapping the empty plastic around itself)

Step three:

Tuck open end of plastic under bread.

*If it doesn't work correctly the first time, pull head out of butt and repeat steps 1-3 :p

I do this, only because I'm too lazy to put the plastic clip/twist tie back on :p 

spin and tuck, works every time :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users