Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:08 AM

health-benefits-of-coconut-oil-for-you.p

50 Amazing Ways to Use Coconut Oil

http://www.swansonvi...ing-coconut-oil

http://wellnessmama....or-coconut-oil/

I knew about a handful of these, but was surprised to learn it has many more uses.

Edited by Rocket, 15 April 2014 - 06:46 AM.

#2 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:17 AM

Coconut oil is amazing. I drink it in my tea, the baby eats it before bed so she doesn't wake up starving at 2 am, I put it on diaper rashes, I use it on hives when I celery myself, I put it on cut and scrapes and hangnails. I put in on the oldest's teeth. When my hair is frizzy, I put it in my hair. I probably smell like a tanning salon, actually.

#3 Peaches

Peaches
  • 497 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:18 PM

Apparently it's good for oil pulling as well. Though it's not proven.

#4 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:50 PM

interesting info, thanks! in malaysia, we call coconut tree as a tree with 101 purpose. :)

#5 Peaches

Peaches
  • 497 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:42 PM

Coconut is the shiz. Slightly off topic but everytime I think about that smell, I think of Raffaellos  :wub:

I had no idea about coconut oil helping in the reduction of reflux. If my father wasn't so stubborn and pissed off all the time, I could approach him with this information.

#6 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:25 PM

Apparently it's good for oil pulling as well. Though it's not proven.

I tried oil pulling for a few days and it just didn't seem practical. Swishing oil around in your mouth for 10-20 minutes first thing in the morning is pretty gross, and not something I can imagine doing on a regular basis. It's especially weird when you start with room temperature, partially solidified oil and it gradually changes states in your mouth. I managed without any issues for the first couple of days, but I decided to stop when I gagged and spit oil onto my sheets. I think I'll stick with regular mouthwash.

#7 Peaches

Peaches
  • 497 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:32 PM

I tried oil pulling for a few days and it just didn't seem practical. Swishing oil around in your mouth for 10-20 minutes first thing in the morning is pretty gross, and not something I can imagine doing on a regular basis. It's especially weird when you start with room temperature, partially solidified oil and it gradually changes states in your mouth. I managed without any issues for the first couple of days, but I decided to stop when I gagged and spit oil onto my sheets. I think I'll stick with regular mouthwash.

Haha I have yet to try it. Some people swear by it while others think it's a total crock.

#8 IcedEarth

IcedEarth
  • 724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:58 AM

I just bought some coconut oil, someone suggested it to me as a good cooking oil. I haven't tried it yet but I had no idea there were so many uses for it, that's awesome.

#9 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:28 AM

Haha I have yet to try it. Some people swear by it while others think it's a total crock.

Yeah, I only tried it because I already had coconut oil and figured it couldn't hurt. Normally anecdotal evidence is not enough to convince me to try something, but I was having a lot of problems with my teeth/gums/jaw at the time.

#10 Applepi

Applepi
  • 1641 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:10 PM

Yeah, I only tried it because I already had coconut oil and figured it couldn't hurt. Normally anecdotal evidence is not enough to convince me to try something, but I was having a lot of problems with my teeth/gums/jaw at the time.

I've read a few articles about oil-pulling and they make A LOT of claims. I can see the potential for mouth health benefits, but it seems kind of ridiculous to me that it would do all this extra stuff that goes much deeper than the mouth. Did you notice any benefits from it? I know you hadn't tried it that long, but doesn't hurt to ask! 

#11 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:41 PM

I've read a few articles about oil-pulling and they make A LOT of claims. I can see the potential for mouth health benefits, but it seems kind of ridiculous to me that it would do all this extra stuff that goes much deeper than the mouth. Did you notice any benefits from it? I know you hadn't tried it that long, but doesn't hurt to ask! 

I assumed most of what I read to be bullshit. :p

I did notice that my teeth felt extra clean, and I think it may have helped with my breath. I rinsed with saltwater and brushed my teeth gently after each oil pulling session. I have wisdom tooth pain that will occasionally flare up, and it was particularly bad at the time. It seemed to have kept my mouth cleaner in general and reduced the inflammation a little, but not completely. I honestly don't know if it was the coconut oil that made a difference, or if it was just because I was being more diligent with my oral hygiene.

I was hoping it would whiten my teeth since I read claims that people saw a difference in as little as a week, but I didn't notice any change.

#12 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:39 PM

I chew through it sometimes and I think it does help my teeth be extra clean. My oldest kid has tooth pain and she asks for coconut oil more than/instead of/chooses it when I give her the choice over ibuprofen and acetaminophen. I don't know if that's due to the taste of the pain though, so take that into consideration.

I was going to try it to whiten my teeth, but I picked up the Dr Pepper habit again and figured it was pointless to try til I quit.

Edited by Napiform, 13 April 2014 - 06:39 PM.

#13 Elle

Elle
  • ShadowLink64's Rebel

• 894 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:03 AM

Your link isn't working :(

Coconut oil is amazing. When I was younger my mother used to use it in our hair during the weekends/ at night. Now I use it in hair treatments that I make, and it works wonders (I have really long, thick hair) .

My best friend has been doing oil pulling for a long time, and she swears by it. I'm not completely convinced, but I suppose it would be worth a try.

#14 5MGEDOHC

5MGEDOHC
  • 937 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:20 AM

I use it as a cooking oil now. I made hashbrowns with it earlier today, So good :3

#15 Applepi

Applepi
  • 1641 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:44 PM

I assumed most of what I read to be bullshit. :p

I did notice that my teeth felt extra clean, and I think it may have helped with my breath. I rinsed with saltwater and brushed my teeth gently after each oil pulling session. I have wisdom tooth pain that will occasionally flare up, and it was particularly bad at the time. It seemed to have kept my mouth cleaner in general and reduced the inflammation a little, but not completely. I honestly don't know if it was the coconut oil that made a difference, or if it was just because I was being more diligent with my oral hygiene.

I was hoping it would whiten my teeth since I read claims that people saw a difference in as little as a week, but I didn't notice any change.

I'm an obsessive coffee drinker with a propensity for sensitive teeth... whitening is just not gonna happen lol. I wonder how much of the benefits are from a so call placebo effect rather than the oil pulling itself. I'd figure the actual mechanical disruption of the mouth bacteria from the swishing action might actually do something for mouth hygiene but I'd much rather swish mouthwash over oil! 

I have used oils in my hair and on my skin and LOVE how much they moisturize! I'd definitely recommend doing a hot oil hair treatment every few weeks :) 

#16 Elle

Elle
  • ShadowLink64's Rebel

• 894 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:08 PM

I'm an obsessive coffee drinker with a propensity for sensitive teeth... whitening is just not gonna happen lol. I wonder how much of the benefits are from a so call placebo effect rather than the oil pulling itself. I'd figure the actual mechanical disruption of the mouth bacteria from the swishing action might actually do something for mouth hygiene but I'd much rather swish mouthwash over oil! 

I have used oils in my hair and on my skin and LOVE how much they moisturize! I'd definitely recommend doing a hot oil hair treatment every few weeks :)

I don't know how much you're in to weird health kicks/ alternative stuff, but there is this (relatively) new concept of 'bulletproof' coffee, where you actually put coconut oil in your coffee.  There are guides/ recipes all over the internet. It's definitely worth a try :)

#17 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:11 PM

I don't know how much you're in to weird health kicks/ alternative stuff, but there is this (relatively) new concept of 'bulletproof' coffee, where you actually put coconut oil in your coffee.  There are guides/ recipes all over the internet. It's definitely worth a try :)

I put coconut oil in my tea. And butter, when I'm feeling extra bland.

#18 Elle

Elle
  • ShadowLink64's Rebel

• 894 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:39 AM

I put coconut oil in my tea. And butter, when I'm feeling extra bland.

Do you use milk in your tea, or is the butter/ coconut oil a substitute?

#19 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:02 AM

Do you use milk in your tea, or is the butter/ coconut oil a substitute?

No, I used to drink it straight and use butter/oil as a supplement.

#20 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:23 AM

Is that because it's supposed to prevent your teeth from becoming stained, or because it has other health benefits? I love cooking with coconut oil and eating coconut products, but coffee is already rough on my stomach as it is, and I'm not sure I could stomach drinking oil in my coffee/tea on a regular basis.

#21 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:51 AM

Your link isn't working :(

That's weird the site must have moved or changed it so I couldn't find the exact one, but a quick google search found some other links :) updated first post

After this talk about oil pulling, I'm actually going to try and see what it does for me.

I found this link, and those of you who have tried it, let me know if this sounds right? http://www.foodmatte...orm-your-health

I'm going to look into this as well!!

#22 Elle

Elle
  • ShadowLink64's Rebel

• 894 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:06 PM

Is that because it's supposed to prevent your teeth from becoming stained, or because it has other health benefits? I love cooking with coconut oil and eating coconut products, but coffee is already rough on my stomach as it is, and I'm not sure I could stomach drinking oil in my coffee/tea on a regular basis.

I'm not sure it does much at all for your teeth, but it's supposed to have other great benefits. It's particularly popular with those that do the paleo diet.

Do you take milk in your tea?

That's weird the site must have moved or changed it so I couldn't find the exact one, but a quick google search found some other links :) updated first post

After this talk about oil pulling, I'm actually going to try and see what it does for me.

I found this link, and those of you who have tried it, let me know if this sounds right? http://www.foodmatte...orm-your-health

I'm going to look into this as well!!

Yep, that link looks about right. Free People do a great summarised version also: http://blog.freepeop...ts-oil-pulling/

(and their blog in general is amazing).

Also yaaay for giving bulletproof coffee a go. It's definitely creamier, and can take a bit of getting used to, but I don't mind the taste at all.

#23 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:08 PM

I'm not sure it does much at all for your teeth, but it's supposed to have other great benefits. It's particularly popular with those that do the paleo diet.

Do you take milk in your tea?

Oh, gotcha. I like milk in my tea sometimes, depending on the type of tea. I once added (vaped) cannabis infused oil to my coffee, which was surprisingly easy to drink, and that stuff tastes a lot nastier than regular coconut oil.

#24 Applepi

Applepi
  • 1641 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:22 PM

Oh that sounds interesting, how does the coconut oil change the texture/consistency of the coffee? I'd be willing to give this a go once I get my hands on some more coconut oil!

#25 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:15 PM

Oh that sounds interesting, how does the coconut oil change the texture/consistency of the coffee? I'd be willing to give this a go once I get my hands on some more coconut oil!

The only issues I have with it is that if you don't mix it properly, it makes insulation on top, which makes it seem like your coffee isn't hot at first and then it's burning your mouth off. Also, my lips feel lipglossy when I'm done drinking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users