• This topic is locked This topic is locked
263 replies to this topic

#201 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:50 PM

No I think Strategist meant the group would only be for ranks Private and above.

I think that causes a bit of a social rift between members however, remember the huge dramas between the 'Tinychat' crowd and the 'non tinychat' people.  By segregating ranks like that and stopping socialization leads to inactivity by younger/newer members due to further fear of attack by older members.

I would've thought it was a little more incentive to rank up so they can join the chat, but if people don't want to, we don't have to have it. Just a suggestion. Also, yes, I meant Private and above. The reason I suggested that it only be for Private and above was the fact that once you hit Private rank, people obviously know who you are and put trust in you enough to maybe want to share 'private' things that they don't necessarily like to do in public.

#202 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:56 PM

I wouldn't mind the idea except that skype is pretty awful

#203 Doomsday

Doomsday
  • 178 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:21 PM

Well we might as well get rid of rank specific forums, then. Can't have those non-retired being segregated from those retired folks.

It has been suggested but overruled.

I would've thought it was a little more incentive to rank up so they can join the chat, but if people don't want to, we don't have to have it. Just a suggestion. Also, yes, I meant Private and above. The reason I suggested that it only be for Private and above was the fact that once you hit Private rank, people obviously know who you are and put trust in you enough to maybe want to share 'private' things that they don't necessarily like to do in public.

There's enough complaints about inactivity on the forums and so many times has it been blamed on IRC and Tinychat. Wouldn't skype be just as bad if not worse if it's even more selective about who is on or out? At least IRC and TC are still public

Edited by Doomsday, 18 April 2014 - 10:24 PM.

#204 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:43 PM

There's enough complaints about inactivity on the forums and so many times has it been blamed on IRC and Tinychat. Wouldn't skype be just as bad if not worse if it's even more selective about who is on or out? At least IRC and TC are still public

Point taken, idea squashed.

#205 Doomsday

Doomsday
  • 178 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:05 PM

Point taken, idea squashed.

Didn't want to be a downer sorry bro, just thought I would throw the opposing voice of reason on the off chance there would be a strong counter (which in turn would also counter all the complaints over the years of TC and IRC)

Edited by Doomsday, 18 April 2014 - 11:06 PM.

#206 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:12 PM

Didn't want to be a downer sorry bro, just thought I would throw the opposing voice of reason on the off chance there would be a strong counter (which in turn would also counter all the complaints over the years of TC and IRC)

Nah, not worth the troubles imo, we all know how THAT debate would go xD

#207 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:17 PM

For those still interested in applying, the deadline for this month's applications will be Monday April 21st around 3 PM NST.

I'm very excited about this month's prospects. Should be a good batch of charter Private Members :)

#208 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:35 AM

For those still interested in applying, the deadline for this month's applications will be Monday April 21st around 3 PM NST.

I'm very excited about this month's prospects. Should be a good batch of charter Private Members :)

ugh, I was hoping for earlier.

#209 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:37 AM

ugh, I was hoping for earlier.

Awww come on, it's like one more day to wait xD

#210 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:54 AM

Awww come on, it's like one more day to wait xD

I really want to use the coli thingy.

bad.

#211 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:56 AM

Just as an added 'perk' of Private membership (and ranks above it) we have put in place a new site theme/skinset as well! The best part about it, is the fact that you can customise your own colour scheme yourself by using the paintbrush icon in the top right of the forum (next to the Search bar). See below for examples:

Spoiler

#212 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:03 AM

Just as an added 'perk' of Private membership (and ranks above it)

Retired don't appear to have access to this :p

#213 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:04 AM

Retired don't appear to have access to this :p

Not yet, still fixing some coding for the item db to show properly with it, but it is going to be live once this first round of Private apps are done. :p

#214 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:24 AM

Just as an added 'perk' of Private membership (and ranks above it) we have put in place a new site theme/skinset as well! The best part about it, is the fact that you can customise your own colour scheme yourself by using the paintbrush icon in the top right of the forum (next to the Search bar). See below for examples:

Spoiler

dammit now I wish I wasn't such a noob :p

#215 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:33 AM

dammit now I wish I wasn't such a noob :p

You have to make 110 more posts. At your rate it won't take long. :p

#216 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:34 AM

You have to make 110 more posts. At your rate it won't take long. :p

-cries- 

-ragequits until tomorrow-

#217 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:39 AM

Well, just so you know no one ever posts on IRC (hahah idling!!) and from what I've heard TC's dead too ā”( Ā“ Š” ` )ā”Œ I doubt a Skype group or some restricted forums are gonna kill off forum activity lmao

#218 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:45 AM

Well, just so you know no one ever posts on IRC (hahah idling!!) and from what I've heard TC's dead too ā”( Ā“ Š” ` )ā”Œ I doubt a Skype group or some restricted forums are gonna kill off forum activity lmao

I agree with this. I almost asked if the site felt deader compared to 6 months ago, but then I realized there were other factors like the contest team being put in place and things and didn't want to start a discussion on other stuff.

#219 Doomsday

Doomsday
  • 178 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:38 PM

There used to be quite a bit of activity in the IRC channel but mostly it was Pyro, myself and a few others, most of which discussion would end up programming related (or playing Uno)

As for TC I'm not too sure what happened with that but I have had trouble connecting to it sometimes. I'm not sure if you were around when the TC and IRC channels were introduced and attempted to be made "official extensions" of NeoCodex there was a number of complaints about it being a reason for lower board activity.

Most people didn't really like IRC (I'm not sure why, I loaded it with Trivia, joke and game bots but IRC seems to have a certain culture to it). Skype is much more common thanks to Microsoft buying it out and using it as their new MSN messenger so people are much more likely to use it.

#220 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:06 PM

There used to be quite a bit of activity in the IRC channel but mostly it was Pyro, myself and a few others, most of which discussion would end up programming related (or playing Uno)

As for TC I'm not too sure what happened with that but I have had trouble connecting to it sometimes. I'm not sure if you were around when the TC and IRC channels were introduced and attempted to be made "official extensions" of NeoCodex there was a number of complaints about it being a reason for lower board activity.

Most people didn't really like IRC (I'm not sure why, I loaded it with Trivia, joke and game bots but IRC seems to have a certain culture to it). Skype is much more common thanks to Microsoft buying it out and using it as their new MSN messenger so people are much more likely to use it.

Oh, trivia and all those other fun bots used to be in there? I don't think they've been in there for.... a while now, which is a shame :x Like now that I think about it I'm sure I've seen trivia in there once or so in the two and a bit years I've been idling in there for but maybe I'm thinking of some other channel ā”('ļ½ž`ļ¼› )ā”Œ

And ehhh.... They might have been bursting with activity in the past but you gotta believe me man, it's really nothing which is gonna harm the forum. A lot of people here already chat outside of the forum because they're friends/dating/married, like I already have a couple people here added on Skype and in mutual follows on Tumblr, and don't some of you guys have each other added on Facebook/other social networking places? And everything's fine! A Skype group really isn't gonna harm anything :p And there's always the chance it'll have the same fate as countless other groups where people chat and all for the first day or so then dies, and that's it. You never know heheh. There's no harm in trying things out and seeing how everything goes ^^

#221 Doomsday

Doomsday
  • 178 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:10 PM

If you'd like them back in there for something to do I can always see if I can find them and put them back in when I head back to work on Wednesday.

Edited by Doomsday, 20 April 2014 - 04:11 PM.

#222 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:16 PM

If you'd like them back in there for something to do I can always see if I can find them and put them back in when I head back to work on Wednesday.

That'd be pretty cool! The channel's quiet nearly all the time so I don't think it'd be worth the effort, but it'd be nice to have them for when there are actually people talking in there ^^

#223 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:05 PM

congrats @Kate for being promoted to private. :wub: *is jelly*

#224 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:41 PM

Just gotta say, I'm rather impressed by that black Private Skin. Very cool.

#225 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:46 PM

congrats @Kate for being promoted to private. :wub: *is jelly*

No one has even been promoted to Private yet.

She said in my status that she was merely making sure all the technical junk was in place before the promotions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users