Quantcast

Photo

What are some lesser-known artists that you really enjoy?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Chocodile

Chocodile
  • 57 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:13 AM

For me, they would be:

• Avi Buffalo (I don't know if I'd call them lesser-known)
  • The Real Tuesday Weld
  • SNOWMINE
  • Here We Go Magic
  • Canon Blue

Avi Buffalo is kinda indie-rock, borderline twee-sounding.  Comforting songs with some sexual undertones.  Summery.

The Real Tuesday Weld is pretty different stuff, sounds a bit retro- jazzy, cabaret-style, super fun music!  I'd recommend the song "Me and Mr. Wolf"!

SNOWMINE is kind of an indie pop-rock sound with a lot of ambience and tribal-sounding beats in the background with a strong foreground.  I'm bad at describing this type of thing.

Here we go magic! Super fun! Indie rock that's powerful and interesting and really accessible. 

Canon Blue...I'm not sure how to describe it.  I guess "orchestral pop"?

#2 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:39 AM

My musical taste is pretty eclectic but mainly coalesces around indie, post-punk revival, rock and folk. I'm not sure how well-known they are but I'll just select a few randomly in alphabetical order. :p

Angus & Julia Stone - Pretty folk/acoustic music

The Black Keys - Kind of blues/indie rock

British Sea Power - Indie rock with stuffed owls

Clearlake - Indie

Damien Rice - Indie rock/folk

Editors - Indie rock/Post-punk revival

Interpol - See above

Jeff Buckley - Kind of blues/folk rock

Jim Croce - Folk rock, my current addiction along with Harry Nilsson

Lisa Hannigan - Folk/indie

Oh, Laura - Pretty Swedish indie

Ray LaMontagne - Folk/folk rock

Stellastarr - Post-punk revival

Tom McRae - Pop/rock

Traveling Wilburys - Pop/rock supergroup

The Walkmen - Post-punk revival

White Lies - Indie rock/post-punk revival

#3 Chocodile

Chocodile
  • 57 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:43 AM

I recognize only a few of those, but the ones I know I like! I'll have to check some of them out.  Indie rock with stuffed owls? What?

#4 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:37 AM

Independently of their genre, I suppose you can call any artist lesser-known/well known depending on where you live? Unless they are like U2, Colplay, or that thing some people seem to like named "Justin Bieber".

I tend to like the lesser-known artist more, I have a thing for knowing songs that no one else knows. Don't ask. xD

But sometimes, even when people start to noticed them, I continue to listen. Coldplay was one of them. I remember the first time they came to Portugal (they weren't Coldplay at that time), they were hardly know in the UK, even less here. Their songs had such an impact on me, till today. It's my favourite band, before I knew them it was U2. They're tied now.

Wait. Lesser-known artists, right? Sorry for wandering.

• Lykke Li (kinda lesser-known)
  • Martina Topley-Bird
  • Orelha Negra (Portuguese band)
  • Kate Nash (almost unknown in Portugal)
  • Breaking Benjamin
  • A Fine Frenzy
  • All the Luck in the World
  • Damien Rice (he's kinda known here, tho)
  • Asher Lane
  • Avi Buffalo
  • Imagine Dragons (they USED to be unknown here, but due to a Vodafone commercial, suddenly everyone discovered them -___-')
  • X-Wife
  • Kings of Leon (another case like Imagine Dragons. I hate when suddenly EVERYONE is loving TODAY the songs I've been love for YEARS D:)
  • Bombay Bicycle Club
  • Goldfrapp
  • Gossip
  • Cage the Elephant
  • Elbow
  • Yaël Naïm
  • We Trust
  • Theory of a Deadman
  • Pulp
  • Massive Attack
  • Neko Case (The Pharaohs!!!)
  • Yann Tiersen

There's a lot more. I just can't remember everything. I didn't describe the genre because I'm incapable of labeling anything and I really don't want to google it.

#5 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:41 PM

I think I have a different definition of "lesser-known" than those who have already posted, but here goes. Each has a link to some music.

#6 Choconilla

Choconilla
  • 53 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:34 AM

Hmmm. Oh gosh um.

• Leeni
  • Farleon
  • Pogo (so much techno and remix ff)
  • Home made Kazoku (..I don't know if this counts, since just one of their songs was ever popular and only kind of that)
  • Boa
  • Amatsuki

I like wayy too many japanese and vocaloid artists right now. Fff. Cannot remember alll. Also, so much techno on this list.

#7 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:38 AM

Fever Ray. Seriously guys- give this a listen:

Little Dragon

Daughter

Seriously- give them a listen. Even if you just lisen to the first 5 sec of each.

Edit: seriously.

Edited by Galadriel, 16 May 2014 - 12:45 AM.

#8 Leeroy

Leeroy
  • 272 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:23 AM

saw the links for fever ray. maybe its me or it feels haunting. i like Daughter - youth

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=i7fnlJ60RO8

i like this. not sure if its lesser known, always lift me up.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=i0XOCs86om0

this is nice too ~

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=z4GIkzgNrxM

i have many more.. and just realize how i like old songs ... ahh

just realize i only know how to link the music ... oh wells =/  i wonder how to paste youtube in here

Edited by Leeroy, 16 May 2014 - 03:27 AM.

#9 Tubbz

Tubbz
  • The High Fairy of Priestessvil.

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:51 AM

How obscure are we going? 

#10 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:57 AM

Waser has posted about half the stuff I would have so I'm having to mooch through my iPod looking for slightly less obvious things. Hrmph. Effort.

Beirut - Okay, pretty well known. But Postcards from Italy is one of my favourite songs. Plus there aren't enough bands with accordions and flugelhorns.

The Cribs - English indie rock. Don't know how well they're known outside the UK...

Emmy the Great - She wrote a song about dinosaur sex. And a song about 24. And that's what I want in my music.

The Field Mice - 25 year old British indie pop. They split up when I was 2 but I always put And Before the First Kiss on when I'm sleepy. Or it's raining. It's a good rainy day song.

Fionn Regan

First Aid Kit - Super well known now, but adding to Waser's pretty Swedish indie folk. :p

Johnny Flynn & the Sussex Wit - He's friends with my brother so worth a mention. *shrugs*

Larrikin Love - If you like your indie rock peppered with literary references. They only ever released 1 album.

Lightspeed Champion

The Tallest Man on Earth - Amusingly not very tall, basically Swedish Bob Dylan (hyperbole but that sort of vein)

This has ended up being a great deal folkier than perhaps is a true reflection of my taste but oh well. :p

#11 Haliax

Haliax
  • 366 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:46 AM

Lesser known ey... How about..

Two Gallants

Light Light

The Zutons (maybe known)

Maximum the Hormone (supported a few known bands, huge in Japan I think)

Can't think of many more off the top of my head. I have down right never heard of some of these artists, Waser's are pretty well known IMO. athahyde's are all huge artists lol.

Edited by Haliax, 16 May 2014 - 09:47 AM.

#12 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:46 PM

I have no idea how well or not known are the artists in other countries, so I can only speak from where I live, eh? :p

#13 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:15 PM

These are artists that I'm a fan of and also consider lesser known.

Spoiler

#14 Kau

Kau
  • 261 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:26 PM

City and Color

The Rubens

Ball Park Music

Hungry Kids of Hungary

Being in a school environment full of people who don't appreciate good music makes me sad ;_;

#15 Elle

Elle
  • ShadowLink64's Rebel

• 894 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:18 PM

My musical taste is pretty eclectic but mainly coalesces around indie, post-punk revival, rock and folk. I'm not sure how well-known they are but I'll just select a few randomly in alphabetical order. :p

Angus & Julia Stone - Pretty folk/acoustic music

The Black Keys - Kind of blues/indie rock

British Sea Power - Indie rock with stuffed owls

Clearlake - Indie

Damien Rice - Indie rock/folk

Editors - Indie rock/Post-punk revival

Interpol - See above

Jeff Buckley - Kind of blues/folk rock

Jim Croce - Folk rock, my current addiction along with Harry Nilsson

Lisa Hannigan - Folk/indie

Oh, Laura - Pretty Swedish indie

Ray LaMontagne - Folk/folk rock

Stellastarr - Post-punk revival

Tom McRae - Pop/rock

Traveling Wilburys - Pop/rock supergroup

The Walkmen - Post-punk revival

White Lies - Indie rock/post-punk revival

Waser has posted about half the stuff I would have so I'm having to mooch through my iPod looking for slightly less obvious things. Hrmph. Effort.

Beirut - Okay, pretty well known. But Postcards from Italy is one of my favourite songs. Plus there aren't enough bands with accordions and flugelhorns.

The Cribs - English indie rock. Don't know how well they're known outside the UK...

Emmy the Great - She wrote a song about dinosaur sex. And a song about 24. And that's what I want in my music.

The Field Mice - 25 year old British indie pop. They split up when I was 2 but I always put And Before the First Kiss on when I'm sleepy. Or it's raining. It's a good rainy day song.

Fionn Regan

First Aid Kit - Super well known now, but adding to Waser's pretty Swedish indie folk. :p

Johnny Flynn & the Sussex Wit - He's friends with my brother so worth a mention. *shrugs*

Larrikin Love - If you like your indie rock peppered with literary references. They only ever released 1 album.

Lightspeed Champion

The Tallest Man on Earth - Amusingly not very tall, basically Swedish Bob Dylan (hyperbole but that sort of vein)

This has ended up being a great deal folkier than perhaps is a true reflection of my taste but oh well. :p

Yesss! You guys have posted most of what I would have  :wub:

City and Color

The Rubens

Ball Park Music

Hungry Kids of Hungary

Being in a school environment full of people who don't appreciate good music makes me sad ;_;

@Kau 3/4 Australian bands. I had to check your profile because I couldn't remember if you were Australian or not :p Have you seen any of these guys recently?

#16 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:49 AM

I live for local music in this area so I could probably prattle on, but as in all likelihood nobody has or ever will hear of my friends, I'll spare you :p I'll prattle on about other bands instead.

Tim Snider:

Spoiler

He does fantastic things with a violin, acoustic guitar, and a large selection of looper pedals. Seeing him perform it live was quite honestly captivating. I bought both his EPs and listened to the song Hurricane on repeat for days lol

Scott Pemberton Trio:

Spoiler

I've seen him about five times now... pretty much when he swings into town every 3 months or so. Scott's a fantastic guitarist and does crazy shit that I've never seen before. He designs some of his own pedals and they will be on market soonish. Plus, he's a really nice guy and rather humble about his guitar god abilities.

Down North:

Spoiler

Kick ass musicians from Seattle. I heart them so much. There's no other way to describe them other than... flamboyant? The video doesn't do their performance justice. Their drummer's a badass and was dressed in a spiderman costume half the time. Then he switched clothes with this girl in the crowd. Randomly. So much fun <3

Radio Moscow:

Spoiler

So not a PNW band, but still amazing. They'd probably appeal to the type of person that likes Zeppelin, Hendricks, and Black Keys. Quite a few songs of theirs are instrumentals. I also like their song Lickskillet because... it's a song of guitar licks. All guitar licks.

Blind Melon:

Spoiler

Most people probably only know their song No Rain, but Blind Melon was oh so much more. Another case of a band's success being cut short too soon by a death.

Meg Myers:

Totally a guilty pleasure of mine. I love her because her lyrics and soul behind her voice are so incredibly powerful. Them feels :( But unfortunately I feel like her album tracks are way overproduced with cheesy pop sound effects so I tend to only listen to her acoustic versions. Oh, and NSFW lyrics?

#17 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:00 AM

The Magnetic Fields

@redlion have we had the conversation before about how the reissue of Distant Plastic Trees and The Wayward Bus is one of my favourite things ever? 100,000 Fireflies is one of my favourite ever songs. <3 It's so jangly.

#18 Dazz

Dazz
  • Musicyclopedia

• 3242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:22 AM

There's a band called Dirty Goods that i like, they make like general summer vibes

Got man like vin diesel chillin' in the video :p

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#19 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:51 AM

@redlion have we had the conversation before about how the reissue of Distant Plastic Trees and The Wayward Bus is one of my favourite things ever? 100,000 Fireflies is one of my favourite ever songs. <3 It's so jangly.

I don't think we have, no.

I mostly listen to their double album 69 Love Songs. I don't think I've heard any of the tracks you mentioned :p

#20 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:01 AM

Dirty Loops

#21 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:00 PM

One of my favourite lesser known artists is Charlotte Martin. I particularly love 'Stromata'. Her song 'Keep me in your pocket' was featured in the Sims Castaway, thats how I got to know her.

#22 Kau

Kau
  • 261 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:31 PM

3/4 Australian bands. I had to check your profile because I couldn't remember if you were Australian or not :p Have you seen any of these guys recently?

I've seen both Ball Park Music and Hungry Kids of Hungary in concert, both incredible! Really good on stage.

#23 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:17 PM

City and Color

The Rubens

Ball Park Music

Hungry Kids of Hungary

Do you also like Alexisonfire? I ask because of Dallas Green :) I've seen City and Colour, they're incredible live. Dallas Green is such a nice guy to talk to! Highly recommend if you get the chance to see them live! 

Do musical composers count? I love instrumental music. Composers (like Hans Zimmer) go under appreciated and are lesser known I find. 

#24 Unmata

Unmata
  • 714 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:05 PM

I love fever Ray. I first heard them while watching Vikings. 

Eivor

#25 Prisca

Prisca
  • Clouded Liberty

• 2494 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:37 PM

City and Color

The Rubens

Ball Park Music

Hungry Kids of Hungary

I accidentally saw the 'hungry kids of Hungary' live once at a pub in Australia. My friends and i went to see a band called 'playjerise'. They werent what i expected (obviously not hungry kids, or anyone from Hungary).

I don't listen to much music since i have studied it, but i do like-

Adventure Land Band

https://www.youtube....h?v=5-CTjW6SlnA

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users