contest

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:01 PM

stock-illustration-23042941-digital-cameNeoCodex Photographicastock-illustration-23042941-digital-came

I am sure that you can guess what the overarching theme of this contest is:

Photography!

On the first Monday of each month, a theme will be given, and a deadline set.

Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, will be to take a photograph (or choose one from your own back catalogue) that satisfies the theme as best you can manage.

There will be two winners each month, one selected by a small panel of judges based on my own criteria, and another based on a public vote. There will be no runners up, and one person may win both prizes.

Prizes will include a shiny award, and potentially donations from community-minded members.

Each month's winners will then help judge the next round, and be ineligible to win (although they may enter for fun!).

This month's theme:

Portraits

(Bonus: not a selfie!)

(Also, protip, I love candid work...)

This month's deadline:

Wednesday the 11th of June (Midnight Pacific Time)

This month's examples:

Spoiler

Rules:

All work must be your own. Duh.

Post-processing must be minimal, unless otherwise noted.

Submissions should be PMed to me.

Prizes:

Winners recieve the Photographica Award:

46-AwardImgMaster-1400378285.png

And the winner of the public vote may choose to recieve:

A complete set of Nature Festival goodies from Flight Rising

Donated by @Kord

#2 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:47 PM

oh i love the examples you put in the spoilers, @Sweeney. they're breathtaking! :D

do animal potraits count? :rolleyes:

#3 Bones

Bones
  • Bar Ram Ewe

• 2171 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:48 AM

Nice theme thanks for hosting this again.  I look forward to seeing the outcomes either past or present picys

#4 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:07 AM

I can't wait to see what people enter. I have the perfect shot for this, I just need to find my SD card from my camera :/

#5 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:15 AM

Excited! :D Looking forward to see other people's entries. Can't send anything in myself since I only have a stinkin smartphone camera :C

#6 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:48 AM

oh i love the examples you put in the spoilers, @Sweeney. they're breathtaking! :D

do animal potraits count? :rolleyes:

Yeah, animal portraits can count. I'll let you know in the PM if I think an image does not match the requirements :)

#7 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:27 AM

Excited! :D Looking forward to see other people's entries. Can't send anything in myself since I only have a stinkin smartphone camera :C

I've seen amazingly beautiful pictures taken with smartphones.

When you have an "artists eye", it only matter what you do with the pictured subject, the way you see it and how you show it to others. That has more impact than a blunt and uninspiring picture taken with the most expensive camera.

#8 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:29 AM

When you have an "artists eye", it only matter what you do with the pictured subject, the way you see it and how you show it to others. That has more impact than a blunt and uninspiring picture taken with the most expensive camera.

I agree to a certain extent. I just hate it I can't control the iso and diafragma (? is that even english lol) and that you can count the pixels on my phone's pictures :p But i might give it a go. See if I can trick someone to look pretty for me :p

#9 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:34 AM

I agree to a certain extent. I just hate it I can't control the iso and diafragma (? is that even english lol) and that you can count the pixels on my phone's pictures :p But i might give it a go. See if I can trick someone to look pretty for me :p

The only issue I have is that when I move my smartphone pictures over to the computer, I have to severely shrink them to avoid the pixelation.

#10 Applepi

Applepi
  • 1641 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:00 AM

I just switched from the samsung galaxy s3 to iphone5s and there's a huge improvement in the camera. I definitely agree that creativity and inspiration shine through on even the crudest technology, but a good quality camera doesn't hurt :p 

I definitely still prefer good old-fashioned film but I'm old school :p

#11 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:12 PM

Sweeney, do you have a minimum size requirement (other than the obvious "so-tiny-we-can't-see-anything" type)?

I have a photo I'd like to submit, but it was already used previously for other purposes and re-sized exactly for it and I can't seem to find the original one (it must be probably long lost by now :().

#12 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:29 PM

Sweeney, do you have a minimum size requirement (other than the obvious "so-tiny-we-can't-see-anything" type)?
I have a photo I'd like to submit, but it was already used previously for other purposes and re-sized exactly for it and I can't seem to find the original one (it must be probably long lost by now :().

Nope, no restriction. A prohibitively small size may hurt your chances of getting votes, but that's your decision to make, not mine :p

#13 Grimley

Grimley
  • The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:40 PM

The examples shown are AMAZING!!! I don't think I'll be able to enter this one, but I look forward to seeing what others submit in the event that I can't come up with something.

#14 Bones

Bones
  • Bar Ram Ewe

• 2171 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:48 AM

is this ending soon?

#15 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:37 AM

voting thread plz. ^_^

#16 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:20 AM

voting thread plz. ^_^

is this ending soon?

Hope so!

#17 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:22 AM

I think they're still busy with moving. Be patient :p

#18 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:25 AM

I think they're still busy with moving. Be patient :p

oh yeah. forgot about that. :doh:

#19 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:04 AM

We actually weren't moving, we got stuck out of town without internet for a variety of reasons.

We're back now, and I'll be working on catching up with things :p

Entries, of course, are now closed :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: contest

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users