Quantcast

Photo

What's unexpectedly typical for your country?

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#26 Applepi

Applepi
  • 1641 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:06 PM

In Michigan (USA), we use our hands as a map to give directions to people.

Wisconsin also does this :p

#27 Mandie

Mandie
  • 407 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:10 PM

Wisconsin also does this :p

Do you think people from Louisiana use their feet?

#28 Applepi

Applepi
  • 1641 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:10 PM

Do you think people from Louisiana use their feet?

lol maybe? I'd think Italians might?

#29 Mandie

Mandie
  • 407 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:14 PM

lol maybe? I'd think Italians might?

LoL, who know? Bet they are flexible to say the least!

#30 Fawkes

Fawkes
  • Team ASS

• 202 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:17 PM

Americans tend to not like bidets...  You know, the toilets that shoot your butt to clean it?  Honestly, it freaks me out...

#31 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:17 PM

Americans tend to not like bidets...  You know, the toilets that shoot your butt to clean it?  Honestly, it freaks me out...

Speak for yourself. Bidets are awesome..

#32 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:18 PM

People from Pittsburgh will give directions like:
Go past the gas station. Turn right by the Target. Keep going until you see a donut shop, the turn left. If you see Walmart, you've gone too far.
I swear, no one here knows street names because of all the hills so the roads get confusing.

My grandma had a bidet, but I never use it. I don't know if anyone actually does, I haven't asked.

Edited by Satsuki, 05 June 2014 - 07:20 PM.

#33 Futurama

Futurama
  • The Teacher.

• 3772 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:19 PM

People from Pittsburgh will give directions like:
Go past the gas station. Turn right by the Target. Keep going until you see a donut shop, the turn left. If you see Walmart, you've gone too far.
I swear, no one here knows street names because of all the hills so the roads get confusing.

This is pretty normal...everywhere.

#34 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:21 PM

People tend to include some street names through. We basically never include any. I've heard things like: go past where that old shop used to be. And that has to be confusing for people who don't live here, because they have no idea what we're talking about.

#35 Mandie

Mandie
  • 407 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:23 PM

Speak for yourself. Bidets are awesome..

I'd sure like to try one!

#36 Fawkes

Fawkes
  • Team ASS

• 202 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:11 PM

People tend to include some street names through. We basically never include any. I've heard things like: go past where that old shop used to be. And that has to be confusing for people who don't live here, because they have no idea what we're talking about.

I think it's more of a southern thing to name streets and highways to give directions... But, that's probably because of the multitude of small towns in the south... I don't know...

Other countries seem to think Americans are cowboys - STILL

#37 Applepi

Applepi
  • 1641 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:16 PM

I am born and raised in chicago and i definitely only use landmarks when giving directions. 

#38 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:46 PM

I don't know how they can feel clean without bidet...

#39 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:22 PM

In Michigan (USA), we use our hands as a map to give directions or to show were we are from.

It's so handy!

Spoiler

#40 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:13 AM

I would love to have a bidet, Americans are stupid not to like those.

#41 Chalk

Chalk
  • 311 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:42 AM

Regional: Austin (TX) has this "keep Austin weird" slogan thing... 

Well anyways the most famous Austinite (locally, at least) used to be this transvestite homeless dude called Leslie who would usually wear nothing but a thong. He would always go to local events, so he was pretty well-known. I almost ran over him once.

Oh, and he ended up running for mayor three times.

He died a few years ago though, it was all over the news ):

(I mean, the fact that the death of some homeless guy sparking the local news means something, right?)

Picture for reference:

Spoiler

Edited by Chalk, 06 June 2014 - 08:24 AM.

#42 Mandie

Mandie
  • 407 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:38 PM

I don't know how they can feel clean without bidet...

Butt wipes. I cannot live without them.

It's so handy!

Hands are a wonderful thing to use! :D

#43 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:01 PM

We don't have a lot of bidets in the Netherlands, really only in fancy houses. Haven't tried one. Freaks me out. The thought of a waterjet in my butt crack? I dunno lol O.O

#44 Futurama

Futurama
  • The Teacher.

• 3772 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:02 PM

I am born and raised in chicago and i definitely only use landmarks when giving directions. 

Yea uh, take a right at that one tall skyscraper, then go over a bridge they've been working on since winter, then go over another bridge that they've been working on forever. Boom, you're at UIC.

#45 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:10 PM

The thought of a waterjet in my butt crack? I dunno lol O.O

It's damn refreshing. Once you tried I won't be able to live without it.

#46 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:57 PM

We don't have a lot of bidets in the Netherlands, really only in fancy houses. Haven't tried one. Freaks me out. The thought of a waterjet in my butt crack? I dunno lol O.O

It's not that bad.

I would feel unhealthy without it.

#47 nerdionsia

nerdionsia
  • 27 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:15 PM

I don't understand why bidets aren't a thing here, they sell them at hardware stores and stuff. Everyone who has tried one says that it's awesome. 'murica.

But in Texas, if you're walking by someone on the street or something, it's kind of customary to acknowledge them (e.g. Hey, how's it going?). If you do that here, in Indiana, most people look at you like you're crazy. My husband held the door open for someone once, and they said "you're not from around here, are you?" 

#48 EverKaia

EverKaia
  • 374 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:31 PM

@cassiopeiic There used to be something like FEBO in the States...I think they called them "automats". The closest we have now are refrigerated carousel things that are like mini versions of your FEBO, but they're very rare. I've only seen two in my twenty-eight years. One in a hospital (they still had it as of 2010) and one in the school I didn't end up going to. I would love to try your FEBO, though...it looks so cool!

@Satsuki That incline looks interesting. I've never been on a funicular, just a tram/lift-thing to take me up to a ski resort in Vail.

@Mandie The only problem with living in the central part of the state is I imagine I end up pointing more at Clare or Mt. Pleasant than where I'm actually from. :p

They say us (Michiganians) giving directions/travel in minutes instead of miles is unusual. Honestly, I don't care how many miles away something is...if it's for an appointment, I want to know how long it's going to take me to get there, so I know when to leave!

#49 Fawkes

Fawkes
  • Team ASS

• 202 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:00 PM

It's just a stereotype O_o jeez

I don't understand why bidets aren't a thing here, they sell them at hardware stores and stuff. Everyone who has tried one says that it's awesome. 'murica.

But in Texas, if you're walking by someone on the street or something, it's kind of customary to acknowledge them (e.g. Hey, how's it going?). If you do that here, in Indiana, most people look at you like you're crazy. My husband held the door open for someone once, and they said "you're not from around here, are you?" 

Honestly, that would be a little weird for someone to just start chatting with me randomly on the street.  My friend's neighbor does it to me everytime I go over to her apartment complex, and it just weirds me out.  I know they're being nice and talkative, but I want to go to my friends - not talk to this person I don't know! (Man, I sound like a bitch XD)  It's just strange to me.

#50 nerdionsia

nerdionsia
  • 27 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:58 PM

It's just a stereotype O_o jeez

Honestly, that would be a little weird for someone to just start chatting with me randomly on the street.  My friend's neighbor does it to me everytime I go over to her apartment complex, and it just weirds me out.  I know they're being nice and talkative, but I want to go to my friends - not talk to this person I don't know! (Man, I sound like a bitch XD)  It's just strange to me.

Its not like a whole conversation, its something like this:

Hey, how's it going?

Good, you?

Good.

That's it. Usually. Here its like kindness is some foreign.. thing. I'm not trying to have a whole conversation, just be polite. Haha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users