Quantcast

Photo

DECIDE THE FATE OF MY CHILDREN

merica homeschool foreign language

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

Poll: Language (52 member(s) have cast votes)

Which one?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 Applepi

Applepi
  • 1641 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:48 AM

During my last year of pharmacy rotations, I saw the need for spanish speaking healthcare professionals daily. I'm sure no matter what field of work/walk of life your kids end up in, they will encounter spanish speakers who require translation. 

For that reason, I'd say spanish is probably the better option. Of course, they can always learn more languages as they get older if they have an interest in it! 

#27 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:49 AM

Also I know you'll probably need an official curriculum (or not, I'm not sure how homeschooling works :p ) but duolingo is fun if you wanted to get them interested/lay some groundwork while you get one sorrted.
You level up and have lives and earn gold and stuff.

I got so addicted to this for a while but then got bored of being forced to redo early levels so gave up. :(

#28 blue

blue
  • doge

• 2048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:53 AM

Moving to the mainland has shown me that Spanish is the way to go.

#29 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:55 AM

I got so addicted to this for a while but then got bored of being forced to redo early levels so gave up. :(

Haha same.

I also feel a deep sense of shame when I lose all my lives on something like Basics 3 despite having 5 years of French which leads to a rage quit

(stupid typos/mishearing the stupid listening ones :p )

#30 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:57 AM

I said French on your status because I assumed you were referring to yourself and I knew you already knew quite a bit of Spanish.
If this is for the kiddos, I definitely say Spanish. 

#31 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:57 AM

Teach them Afrikaans. Dis lekker, ja.

#32 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:03 AM

people say learning French isn't all that necessary unless you live in the French-pride areas. 

People would be lying to you. It's becoming nearly impossible to get a job in many Canadian provinces if you aren't bilingual. :p
I speak quite a bit of French and struggled to find a job because my French wasn't good enough for multiple places. Including FAST FOOD. (This was right after high school lol)

#33 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:14 AM

I said French on your status because I assumed you were referring to yourself and I knew you already knew quite a bit of Spanish.
If this is for the kiddos, I definitely say Spanish. 

Well, in 4 years when we switch, I'll be learning either right ahead of them or with them. 

#34 onlyme

onlyme
  • I hate everyone.

• 4319 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:10 PM

I am all for Spanish aswell and I love that you are doing that!

#35 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:21 PM

People would be lying to you. It's becoming nearly impossible to get a job in many Canadian provinces if you aren't bilingual. :p
I speak quite a bit of French and struggled to find a job because my French wasn't good enough for multiple places. Including FAST FOOD. (This was right after high school lol)

I think this is 100% true for Eastern Canada but here in the West (lol) you only need French to work for the government or to teach French. 

I would recommend teaching your children ASL, I know a lot of it and will continue to learn it until I'm 'fluent.' It is invaluable. 

If your kids are going to learn both anyway I would probably suggest going with Spanish for the aforementioned practicality. Especially since it would be easier to find people to practice with them. 

I am personally partial to French but I'm trying to leave that bias out. French is great if you plan on working in governments and not just Canada's. A lot of organizations have French & English as their official languages.

#36 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:27 PM

Germans the easiest.

#37 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:30 PM

Germans the easiest.

So is Dutch and Afrikaans. They are so much simpler to learn than English. And they sound better than French and Spanish. Especially German.

#38 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:32 PM

Afrikaans is an abomination of a language.

#39 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:39 PM

Afrikaans is an abomination of a language.

Because you have been exposed to so much Afrikaans that you would even be able to tell it apart from Dutch... Nope.

#40 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:39 PM

My ex was South African so yeah

#41 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:41 PM

My ex was South African so yeah

You realise South Africa has 11 official languages? Saying she was South African doesn't say anything about the language she spoke xD Also willing to bet she never spoke much Afrikaans since there simply isn't reason to if you live in the UK.

Edited by CountFurFur, 19 June 2014 - 12:41 PM.

#42 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:46 PM

Well she spoke Afrikaans obviously

#43 jonis

jonis
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:06 PM

Saying that, the easiest language I know is Swedish. :p

Damn straight! But as you said, probably not that useful. :D

Spanish is a good choice. Simple grammar and pronunciation rules. And you will have lots of words in common with English.

#44 Applepi

Applepi
  • 1641 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:32 PM

I also think if they can become relatively fluent in Spanish, they can at least somewhat understand Italian and Portuguese as well.  

#45 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:26 PM

Damn straight! But as you said, probably not that useful. :D

Easiest grammar ever. Took me a while to get used to the tonal element but apart from that, fairly simple compared to most languages. It's good because the BBC has a weird addiction to Scandinavian dramas and I watch The Bridge a lot. :p

#46 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:47 PM

I'd honestly consider some latin AND greek - at least expose them to it. If they're going to be consider eventually go into the sciences, knowing the latin and greek roots of words is incredibly helpful. I'm big into etymology and it got me through my anatomy courses. All those things are named what they are for a reason. Like the supraspinous fossa on the scapula is obvious where it is if you know some latin because it literally means "the indentation above the spiny part." No memorization needed. Tell them it'll help them be a marine biologist one day. That would have motivated me, anyways, but I'm a weirdo and read children's encyclopedias for fun when I was a kid. ...I had no friends...

#47 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:28 PM

i would suggest chinese but since you're american, spanish is more practical like others said. besides, everything sounds sexy in spanish. <3

#48 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:30 PM

i would suggest chinese but since you're american, spanish is more practical like others said. besides, everything sounds sexy in spanish. <3

lmao we put 'I love you mommy' into google translate and listened to all the languages to see which ones I'd like best.

#49 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:33 PM

lmao we put 'I love you mommy' into google translate and listened to all the languages to see which ones I'd like best.

that's actually a good method to decide. :p

#50 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:59 PM

Skip the effort of learning Spanish yourself and just get a maid.

Or get a mail-order bride to teach them Russian.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: merica, homeschool, foreign language

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users