Photo

Who wants to teach me how to code?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 rowdierowd

rowdierowd
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:02 PM

I have tons of idea's for programs and I would like to bring some of them to life. Is there anyone out here willing to help me with some coding? I'm pretty new to it, I know the basics but not enough to write a whole program. Please PM if your willing to help. 

THanks!

#2 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:37 PM

Which language?

#3 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:42 PM

Not it!

#4 Eagles

Eagles
  • 518 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:34 PM

LOL. teach me while youre at it too!! i wish i knew how to do that stuff. i need to learn lol

#5 Neoquest

Neoquest
  • 1760 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:59 PM

Learning through a book/the internet is most convenient, and if you have a specific question you can ask one of the programmers here.

#6 Michaelhex

Michaelhex
  • 1018 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:48 PM

Learning through a book/the internet is most convenient, and if you have a specific question you can ask one of the programmers here.

Which book do you recommend if you want to learn to make something like Abrosia or any other program inside the program manager ? or probably a lot simpler program like yours !? :D

Edited by michaelhex, 17 September 2014 - 04:51 PM.

#7 rowdierowd

rowdierowd
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:53 PM

I know a bit of PHP and HTML but im hearing that python is what I need to learn to do programs like this...

#8 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:56 PM

Which book do you recommend if you want to learn to make something like Abrosia or any other program inside the program manager ?

Well, I'm not Neoquest, but seeing as Abrosia, etc, is done in Python, I would imagine a book like that, for Python?

I took the same route, and my particular favourite was "Beginning Python: From Novice To Professional".

Although, it might be worth getting a second book to reinforce your understanding from a different teaching perspective. For example, I was struggling with that book's explanation of dictionaries in Python, but when I read the section on dictionaries in "Dive into Python" (I think that's the title?), I got it almost instantly. :)

I know a bit of PHP and HTML but im hearing that python is what I need to learn to do programs like this...

Pretty much. Python is a good beginner's language, but a lot of programming languages do what Python does, it's just more confusing to write and understand. :p

#9 Neoquest

Neoquest
  • 1760 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:00 PM

Which book do you recommend if you want to learn to make something like Abrosia or any other program inside the program manager ? or probably a lot simpler program like yours !? :D

The programs here are written in Python, which is great for anyone who is just starting to learn how to program. When I started off with Python I read "Beginning Python: From Novice To Professional", after that I just figured stuff out based on google searches. I'm sure there are better/simpler resources, but that one is certainly worth a shot.

#10 DregsandDregs

DregsandDregs
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:38 PM

Pick up A Byte of Python, which is free.  Just make sure you don't get the 3.x version.

I'm going to pick up "Beginning Python: From Novice To Professional" now though.  Maybe it will explain Self to my satisfaction.

#11 DoNotAnnoyMe

DoNotAnnoyMe
  • 157 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 12:11 PM

If you're serious about it: http://norvig.com/21-days.html

If you just want to mess around a bit doing minor stuff grab a random starter book for the language of your choice and get started.  ;)

#12 chocky

chocky
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 12:22 PM

I think the best language to start off programming in is C. It's the most basic and the syntax is quick and easy to learn. Most programming languages are similar to C, almost same format. For programming, it's more about getting used to the way of thinking and looping a series of algorithms. Python is great for beginners but it's basically like coding in English which makes the program long and slow to compile. If you go to google or youtube, they have tons of lectures from actual universities. :)

#13 DoNotAnnoyMe

DoNotAnnoyMe
  • 157 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 12:29 PM

I think the best language to start off programming in is C.

It really doesn't matter what you start with, what matters is that you get started and keep going (and don't just stick with the language you learned initially).

I think the best language to start off programming in is C. It's the most basic and the syntax is quick and easy to learn. Most programming languages are similar to C, almost same format.

That's only true to a quite limited degree. While there are indeed many C-like languages (wrt syntax) out there, those aren't the ones you'll want to learn once you got a grasp of how things work. Instead grab something focusing on a completely different aspect like haskell, prolog or lisp to ensure you also get an idea what the they're about and how those concepts can aid you in other languages.

#14 chocky

chocky
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:18 PM

It really doesn't matter what you start with, what matters is that you get started and keep going (and don't just stick with the language you learned initially).

That's only true to a quite limited degree. While there are indeed many C-like languages (wrt syntax) out there, those aren't the ones you'll want to learn once you got a grasp of how things work. Instead grab something focusing on a completely different aspect like haskell, prolog or lisp to ensure you also get an idea what the they're about and how those concepts can aid you in other languages.

Lol I'm just following what they've taught me in school. I started with C in first year then learned java in second year. We don't really use python since it takes a long time to compile and makes the program slow.

You seem very knowledgeable about coding. I think you're right. It doesn't really matter what language you code it. It's about getting used to the logic and looping algorithms. I've always been bad at algorithms. So actually, don't listen to me. I don't really know what I'm saying lol :(

#15 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 March 2015 - 02:58 PM

Lol I'm just following what they've taught me in school. I started with C in first year then learned java in second year. We don't really use python since it takes a long time to compile and makes the program slow.

You seem very knowledgeable about coding. I think you're right. It doesn't really matter what language you code it. It's about getting used to the logic and looping algorithms. I've always been bad at algorithms. So actually, don't listen to me. I don't really know what I'm saying lol :(

You're not even a real engineer!! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users