• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#76 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:30 PM

So someone else's trigger trumps mine? It's like you've completely ignored my point and just focused on the extremities instead...

For the love of god can you stop trying to appropriate triggers for the sole purpose of being an asshole? People with PTSD can't help what trigger them and that's why they want TWs so that the have the option to turn off the tv when stuff that triggers them is about to come on.

Edited by Mishelle, 20 October 2014 - 08:30 PM.

#77 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:08 PM

I haven't misunderstood your point. I was never arguing your view on triggers, I was arguing that the way you were going about trying to prove your point was counter productive. Not sure what about that took you so long to grasp.

K

For the love of god can you stop trying to appropriate triggers for the sole purpose of being an asshole? People with PTSD can't help what trigger them and that's why they want TWs so that the have the option to turn off the tv when stuff that triggers them is about to come on.

m
Like, tv ratings?

#78 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:08 PM

Tv ratings don't tell you exactly what's in a show it just gives an overview, trigger warnings are more specific.

Edited by Mishelle, 20 October 2014 - 10:09 PM.

#79 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:14 PM

So what's the exhaustive list of what is a trigger warning?

#80 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:33 PM

So what's the exhaustive list of what is a trigger warning?

google it.

#81 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:06 AM

No?

#82 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:31 AM

Well then I can't help you if you won't help yourself, sis.

#83 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:44 AM

Way to make a point.

"Hey guys, I have the cure for cancer!"

"Really, what is it?"

"Find it yourself.."

#84 Batori

Batori
  • 265 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:22 AM

Way to make a point.

"Really, what is it?"

"Find it yourself.."

Dude, you've been difficult and pedantic through this entire thread, I don't blame anyone for not wanting to deal with you at this point. It'd be different if you seemed to actually want to know, but chances are you just want more stuff to nitpick.

#85 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:12 AM

So instead of proving points, backing up with sources or hilighting academic studies, people will just have hissy fits instead. That's fine, but this why people don't take the SJW/tumblr movement seriously.

#86 MozzarellaSticks

MozzarellaSticks
  • 272 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:32 AM

So instead of proving points, backing up with sources or hilighting academic studies, people will just have hissy fits instead. That's fine, but this why people don't take the SJW/tumblr movement seriously.

Please take a logic class so you can stop spewing fallacies, and learn why no one is bothering to even attempt and refute your inane points.

#87 Batori

Batori
  • 265 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:48 AM

If you weren't taking people seriously at the start of this thread when they were explaining, the odds that you're spontaneously going to start now are nil. Therefore I don't feel like wasting keystrokes explaining something you're just not interested in knowing.

#88 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:36 AM

Implying taking something seriously is an indication of ignorance isn't really a strong point.

#89 Batori

Batori
  • 265 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:50 AM

Implying taking something seriously is an indication of ignorance isn't really a strong point.

...I'm not sure where you're getting that, have you just given up on making sense?

#90 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:23 PM

If you can't fathom simple sentences, maybe online debates are not your forte.

#91 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:18 PM

@Hawk If you'd bothered to read, you'd have seen that I was advocating for threads like this in the interest of self-information. I'm not sure where I stand on warnings before shows, but maybe a line in the TV Guide synopsis for general, common triggers might be nice? Not sure, I haven't thought much about it. I very much support discussion threads like this and sites intended to help accommodate people with triggers, though.

What's a common trigger, and why must it be spelled out?  If the information is extended more than it already is (Reference for how it's currently rated), how is one supposed to access that information?  Or more to the point, how can someone who doesn't want something spoiled avoid the information?  Or even further to the point, when is that information released such that those who are purposefully avoiding potential spoilers avoid the typical trolls in real life that try to spoil everything for everyone?

Typically there is a very limited blurb about each show that is available prior to being aired available in a TV Guide, or on some on-screen options if you have a cable/satellite/AT&T box.  From there you should have a decent idea of where things are going to go.  Also in that description is the rating.

Also, I did fucking read, and would have been quite content to debate the issue in a civil manner with you.  Since you seem incapable of reading yourself, I fucking referenced the rating system as-used in the United States.  I also asked where you draw the line.  Sexual stuff is already denoted with an S, violence with a V, what more needs to be covered?

Not everybody needs to be protected from everything.  Fuck nanny states.  If you can't stand what's on the TV, go watch fucking PBS all afternoon, listen to NPR on the radio, and never watch a movie rated above PG-13.

Someone else's trigger trumps yours if yours is bullshit, which it is.

Who are you to determine if someone's trigger is bullshit?

A trigger could be anything.  Fuck, for someone it could be an Axe commercial for all you know.

#92 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:31 PM

Not everybody needs to be protected from everything.  Fuck nanny states.  If you can't stand what's on the TV, go watch fucking PBS all afternoon, listen to NPR on the radio, and never watch a movie rated above PG-13.

Well....

#93 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:57 PM

Way to make a point.
"Really, what is it?"
"Find it yourself.."

More like
"I demand information from you"
"You can find all the information your heart desires through Google"
"No I'm just gonna sit here and feign superiority because I'm too lazy to google and don't give a shit about any thing you're saying because I'm under the delusion that I'm right all the time anyway"
"Ok sis have it your way"

#94 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:58 PM

What's a common trigger, and why must it be spelled out?  If the information is extended more than it already is (Reference for how it's currently rated), how is one supposed to access that information?  Or more to the point, how can someone who doesn't want something spoiled avoid the information?  Or even further to the point, when is that information released such that those who are purposefully avoiding potential spoilers avoid the typical trolls in real life that try to spoil everything for everyone?

Typically there is a very limited blurb about each show that is available prior to being aired available in a TV Guide, or on some on-screen options if you have a cable/satellite/AT&T box.  From there you should have a decent idea of where things are going to go.  Also in that description is the rating.

Also, I did fucking read, and would have been quite content to debate the issue in a civil manner with you.  Since you seem incapable of reading yourself, I fucking referenced the rating system as-used in the United States.  I also asked where you draw the line.  Sexual stuff is already denoted with an S, violence with a V, what more needs to be covered?

Who are you to determine if someone's trigger is bullshit?

A trigger could be anything.  Fuck, for someone it could be an Axe commercial for all you know.

Last time you asked me who I was I answered quite clearly, but I suppose I can do it again. Question: did you read the part where friz classified the basis of his argument as a logical extreme? I.e. boybands are not actually a "trigger" of his. I'll call someone bullshit when they say to my face that the argument they're using is not based on any fact and is insulting to those whose is

#95 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:01 PM

It really is too difficult to have a bit of fucking compassion, empathy, and sensitivity for the sake of another human being.

#96 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:04 PM

Last time you asked me who I was I answered quite clearly, but I suppose I can do it again. Question: did you read the part where friz classified the basis of his argument as a logical extreme? I.e. boybands are not actually a "trigger" of his. I'll call someone bullshit when they say to my face that the argument they're using is not based on any fact and is insulting to those whose is

You're still completely missing the point.  Pretend Lee's comment about boy bands never happened.  You've got that frame of reference and seem to be rendered incapable of thinking outside that box.

Who are you to define what is or is not a trigger, and how far must you go beyond the already existing TV-MA S/V/L/D?

#97 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:27 PM

More like
"I demand information from you"
"You can find all the information your heart desires through Google"
"No I'm just gonna sit here and feign superiority because I'm too lazy to google and don't give a shit about any thing you're saying because I'm under the delusion that I'm right all the time anyway"
"Ok sis have it your way"

I'm sure all the academic scholars use that excuse as well.

Please take a logic class so you can stop spewing fallacies, and learn why no one is bothering to even attempt and refute your inane points.

So you're admitting you can't make any valid points and you're just resulting to insults because you're too emotionally sensitive to make a rational point.

Ok message clear as mud.
@Hawk I want to pat you on the head and ruffle your hair. Someone who actually gets the main point instead of focusing on off key points to make an argument.

#98 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:54 PM

Yes just ignore the pages of us trying to pound this information into your skull and you being obtuse. It's just our hormones, that's it.

It really is too difficult to have a bit of fucking compassion, empathy, and sensitivity for the sake of another human being.

Of course not that's just your SJW emotions talking

Edited by Mishelle, 21 October 2014 - 03:54 PM.

#99 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:18 PM

Actually I made that post because I want to be more aware due to the people around me whom have troubles. @Swarley

I find that very nice of you. Reminds me of a time when my friends didn't have fireworks at a 4th of July get-together because of a few vets attending, where as I would have never thought of that.

I think TV and move ratings suffice, but perhaps some people need more. I don't think there's any reason why there can't be a website/app devoted to showing tv/movies and have a bit more info about what they contain and common triggers for people. However I will say that I do hold that opinion that if someone continues to have panic attacks after just viewing certain entertainment they should probably receive counseling (if they aren't already) but I can see how someone can still be affected so much after traumatic events like war, rape, abuse etc. Not much so much a few select individuals on Tumblr who say things like they are triggered by things like meat or random words, that just seems a bit silly. However I'm a realist and I understand these individuals are a tiny tiny part of society or trolls so it doesn't mean much.

#100 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:03 PM

Yes just ignore the pages of us trying to pound this information into your skull and you being obtuse. It's just our hormones, that's it.

Yeah, you haven't. At all. Once.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users