• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#26 Kway

Kway
  • Proud to be a Brony

• 1242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 December 2014 - 01:40 PM

In other words, kids are immune to any sort of punishment for this behavior. People can literally get sued for just about anything in the US (Assuming this is in America). I'll bet the parents didn't have to pay for any of the damage either. ._. 

Kids are almost completely immune to punishments. If you discipline a child, you better hope there are no witnesses and you don't leave any lasting marks. Kids (and other people that don't believe in physical discipline) will call you out for child abuse and you never know who will make the final decision in court.

#27 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 December 2014 - 02:00 PM

inb4 he gets called the dollar store terrorist.

#28 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 December 2014 - 02:03 PM

Kids are almost completely immune to punishments. If you discipline a child, you better hope there are no witnesses and you don't leave any lasting marks. Kids (and other people that don't believe in physical discipline) will call you out for child abuse and you never know who will make the final decision in court.

Are you speaking from experience or talking out of your ass?

#29 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 December 2014 - 02:11 PM

They are when you live in a town of less than 2000 people.

Still no. You can't expect every single one of those 2000 people to either be of a significant influence or to help raise your sprog.

#30 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 December 2014 - 02:21 PM

Still no. You can't expect every single one of those 2000 people to either be of a significant influence or to help raise your sprog.

Is the you in this scenario referring to me or to the person? I don't have any expectations of anyone 'raising' my child but me, but I'm not going to get pissed if my kid is starting something and some other parent starts yelling at them. I feel like you're overreacting to my statement.

You also responded to my statement that was regarding the other children being my child's peers. No response to that?

I can talk from experience. A child was being attacked by a dog in front of my Dad's house and my stepmom grabbed the kid to protect him from the dog. She left a thumbprint on the kid and the kid's mom pressed charges on my stepmom for leaving the bruise.

I got CPS called on my house a few months ago cause the mid-kid's stepgrandfather pulled down her pants (for some reason) and saw a bruise she got from being on a slide that had rocks under it, you know, cause we live in the Ozarks where there's thousands of rocks.

If you've been paying attention to the news lately, there's been at least a half-dozen cases about kids being taken from their parents before the investigation was over, even though the children were in no real danger.

#31 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 December 2014 - 05:12 PM

Someone was not disciplined enough as a child.

Wild assumption to make.

Is this in America? I thought you people spoke English?

And I thought the English were supposed to be civil.

The kind of person that would allow a child to turn into a monster like that.

While I agree that it was irresponsible to film the child instead of doing anything, what right or responsibility does the cameraman have to interfere? I mean plenty of people film police beatings, but not a one of them tries to step in and stop them from continuing.

Pretty sure he's talking out of his ass.

Juvenile detention rates in the US are the highest in the world. Children are punished all the time. Unless you're closely related to the child (and can thus be prosecuted for child endangerment, child abuse, or actual assault) people have the right to stop anyone from destroying their property.

As for all of you saying that he's a monster, or wasn't disciplined as a child, or whatever - way to jump to conclusions. You see one grainy video on the internet narrated by an admittedly retarded cameraman and you're willing to pass judgement on this kid's life? Shame on you. Shame on all of you.

The kid could have just lost a parent, or his best friend. He could have just lost a pokemon tournament, we don't know. So stop overreacting when you all know next to nothing about the situation.

#32 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 December 2014 - 06:50 PM

Wild assumption to make.

And I thought the English were supposed to be civil.

Haha, when you visit london you're going to be in for a shock.

And atop defending the little shit, he has to take personal responsibility for his actions. I wouldn't give two flying fucks if his family were killed in a freak pokemon accident. Destroying other people's property is criminal and im sure if this was in the UK instead of the sue-friendly U.S., he'd either be put on his arse or restrained until police arrive and arrest him.

#33 Wander

Wander
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:04 PM

While I agree that it was irresponsible to film the child instead of doing anything, what right or responsibility does the cameraman have to interfere? I mean plenty of people film police beatings, but not a one of them tries to step in and stop them from continuing.

Obviously police beatings aren't to be interfered with unless you want your ass beat too.  :funone2:

Filming cops abusing their powers is the only piece of evidence that sheds light on what really happened like in Eric Garners case. They get off the hook pretty easily even when at fault. Cops are above the law so I wouldn't fuck with them. Los Angeles is actually requiring all officers to wear body cameras soon, so maybe things will change. 

Edited by Wander, 30 December 2014 - 07:06 PM.

#34 Lucian

Lucian
  • 875 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:20 PM

Anyone else think the kid's name was Jet for the first minute of the video?

#35 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:43 PM

I thought it was Jit until @Padme told me the guy was saying G

#36 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:43 PM

Haha, when you visit london you're going to be in for a shock.

And atop defending the little shit, he has to take personal responsibility for his actions. I wouldn't give two flying fucks if his family were killed in a freak pokemon accident. Destroying other people's property is criminal and im sure if this was in the UK instead of the sue-friendly U.S., he'd either be put on his arse or restrained until police arrive and arrest him.

I was being sardonic. I thought the English had a sense of humor?

Perhaps you're mistaking something I've said as a defense of his actions. No where did I say that. I made three points.

1. People have a right to defend themselves and their property, even from kids.

Unless you're closely related to the child (and can thus be prosecuted for child endangerment, child abuse, or actual assault) people have the right to stop anyone from destroying their property.

2. The guy filming is not responsible for the kid's actions, nor should he be maligned for failing to act. He is not the police, nor is he store management. That's not his 20 cent per pound property to defend.

3. Everyone judging the kid based on a three minute video narrated by a dollar store shopper should be ashamed that they didn't take the time to find a real context for the story. Of course he should take responsibility for his actions. But if they were justifiable in some way (perhaps he was autistic?) then you all look like idiots.

I'd like to make the additional point, in a sorry and belated nod to @Bone, that this video was meant to be funny, which it is. The cameraman is cracking me up. The kid has the best look on his face. The guy who finally grabs him is OBV alpha male put me on the evening news type.

#37 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:52 PM

But if they were justifiable in some way (perhaps he was autistic?) then you all look like idiots.

I'm sorry I just can't take this statement seriously from someone who used the word "retarded" to describe the cameraman. (Also, someone you judged after watching the same 3 minute video.)

Besides that, I agree with most of what you said. 

#38 Lucian

Lucian
  • 875 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:54 PM

The guy who finally grabs him is OBV alpha male put me on the evening news type.

Funny how you're judging a guy off of a few seconds of video. You should be ashamed of yourself!

#39 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:00 PM

The 2nd time he calls him it is really clear, the first time he says it definitely does sound like Jit or Jet haha.

And people have the right to scold someone for videoing things. It's the principle of it and is basic philosophy & logic. Bystander effect is real. 

#40 Lucian

Lucian
  • 875 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:08 PM

It's really sad to see how many videos are uploaded to the internet of bad things happening to people and there are more people recording the situation than positively reacting to it.

#41 MozzarellaSticks

MozzarellaSticks
  • 272 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:17 PM

I don't think this is a matter of lack of discipline. It seems more like the child is lashing out. Like neglectful or somehow abusive parents. I mean, what kind of parents aren't even aware their child left home and is at a store? I understand it is a small town, but parents not knowing where their child is is a big deal. He doesn't look nearly old enough to be roaming out on his own.

The 2nd time he calls him it is really clear, the first time he says it definitely does sound like Jit or Jet haha.

And people have the right to scold someone for videoing things. It's the principle of it and is basic philosophy & logic. Bystander effect is real.

He says jit, slang for idoit. Like i'jit or idjit.

Edited by noxiousmermaid, 30 December 2014 - 10:17 PM.

#42 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 December 2014 - 12:31 AM

I'm sorry I just can't take this statement seriously from someone who used the word "retarded" to describe the cameraman. (Also, someone you judged after watching the same 3 minute video.)

Besides that, I agree with most of what you said.

So I used a word in vernacular instead of clinical usage. Sue me.

That's different from calling a child a monster or saying he should have been hit more in his youth.

Edit: This is a significant aside, so forgive me for not starting a new topic, but it was raised here.

Obviously police beatings aren't to be interfered with unless you want your ass beat too.  :funone2:
Filming cops abusing their powers is the only piece of evidence that sheds light on what really happened like in Eric Garners case. They get off the hook pretty easily even when at fault. Cops are above the law so I wouldn't fuck with them. Los Angeles is actually requiring all officers to wear body cameras soon, so maybe things will change.

About this...

People actually have fought with the police. It was called civil disobedience and it happened during the counter-culture in the US, among other places. It helped fuel the civil rights movement by bringing the problem into the lives of more and more everyday citizens. Ever heard of the freedom riders? White people chose of their own accord to be arrested alongside blacks for violating Jim Crow laws. Or Kent State, where students against war and the draft held a protest and were gunned down by national guard regiments. One of my literature professors burned his draft card at one such event. That happened across the country during the 1960s and 70s because people didn't have videogames and the internet - they had the draft and segregation. Some things are worth fighting for, going to jail for, even dying for.

I think bodycams can help with police brutality, but their necessity speaks to a larger problem. Even with complaint systems that are significantly biased in favor of the officers, it's finally getting through to the upper echelons that police can turn into violent people with the power they're given. I'm not trying to say that all cops are monsters - Lee's only half troll. But power corrupts, and oversight is necessary for ALL authority, be it police officers or Senate Armed Services Committee members.

#43 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 December 2014 - 02:22 AM

I showed this video earlier to a friend who works at a unit that takes care of children with various psych problems. He said this behaviour is quite common, and they usually have kids with this kind of attitude brought in by the police or their parents. Most of them don't have mental problems but were probably abused in some way, which is why they act like that

#44 Dazz

Dazz
  • Musicyclopedia

• 3242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 December 2014 - 06:10 AM

3. Everyone judging the kid based on a three minute video narrated by a dollar store shopper should be ashamed that they didn't take the time to find a real context for the story. Of course he should take responsibility for his actions. But if they were justifiable in some way (perhaps he was autistic?) then you all look like idiots.

lol come on man, you can't say everyone should be ashamed of themselves for not finding out the real context. It's a 3 minute video of a kid fucking up a shop, of course we're gonna call him a little shit, just like if it was anyone else fucking that shop up instead. I'm not gonna hold my tongue and start a private investigation on this kid, calling around local areas, getting his medical records, finding out who his parents are, getting them to explain his story to me... etc just for the sake of not calling him a little shit on a forum. Seems a bit silly :p

And yep a bunch of idiots we are for judging the kid on the evidence we do have, rather than speculation. I see your point tho and you can defend the kid all you want, but at the end of the day it's a video intended for wshh for people to laugh at, then jump to the next video of some crackhead going skitz in the street. You'll be swimming upstream with that one :p

#45 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 January 2015 - 04:40 AM

http://www.urbandict...ne.php?term=jit

#46 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 02 January 2015 - 05:28 AM

http://www.urbandict...ne.php?term=jit

So maybe I was right?! Wow.

#47 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:15 AM

Wow, it's almost like poor people have their own language..

#48 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:27 AM

Woah, look at those related words at the bottom =o.

#49 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:39 AM

Woah, look at those related words at the bottom =o.

I have to admit I laughed at "illegitimate" being among words like "spunk" and "spooge". 

#50 Bear

Bear
  • 151 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 January 2015 - 01:43 PM

I always thought JIT meant Juvenile in Training.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users