• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#76 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:06 PM

With that topic, they pretty much admitted that it was indeed some sort of CG, and assuming the reference to fansites, some of the theories that this all came from on of them and their DB, makes the case even more strong now.

They didn't do a rollback probably because that means they would have to take the site down for quite some time, making them lose money.

They are, however, returning the accounts of the players that sent tickets. But, (un)fortunately, not all of them have had their items/NP recovered.

#77 Honchkrow

Honchkrow
  • 908 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 July 2015 - 09:23 PM

So i checked the news and saw this little gem:

• A NOTE FROM TNT: Before we all head off into the weekend, we thought we'd take this opportunity to suggest some basic account security reminders. Please visit the Official TNT board for a list of ways to keep your account safe!

You're really going to remind us about security? L.O.L

#78 Kway

Kway
  • Proud to be a Brony

• 1242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2015 - 12:50 AM

• A NOTE FROM TNT: Before we all head off into the weekend, we thought we'd take this opportunity to suggest some basic account security reminders. Please visit the Official TNT board for a list of ways to keep your account safe!

You would be surprised how most adults suck at basic computer security much less online security and safety.

#79 Eggie

Eggie
  • 317 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2015 - 09:11 AM

I was checking up on the HC yesterday and found a thread where a bunch of people were talking about how they had NoScript and Adblock installed - and hell, some claimed to have been away on the day of the hacking and not even logged in - and yet they STILL had their accounts "CGed". Unless they're providing false info, this is more evidence of it being a database breach.

You would be surprised how most adults suck at basic computer security much less online security and safety.

Can confirm. My mom's been using a computer for nearly 20 years now and she's downloaded rogue antiviruses on her computer only recently (with the arguement of "Well, it SAID it's an antivirus so it must be!"). She still falls for phishing emails and I've had to stop her many times from clicking on them. A vast majority of older adults suck at computing.

But I think Honchkrow was getting more at the fact of JS blaming THEIR DB being breached on users simply not securing their accounts enough. Which is total bullshit and not the way you address an issue.

#80 Honchkrow

Honchkrow
  • 908 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2015 - 11:14 AM

I was checking up on the HC yesterday and found a thread where a bunch of people were talking about how they had NoScript and Adblock installed - and hell, some claimed to have been away on the day of the hacking and not even logged in - and yet they STILL had their accounts "CGed". Unless they're providing false info, this is more evidence of it being a database breach.

Can confirm. My mom's been using a computer for nearly 20 years now and she's downloaded rogue antiviruses on her computer only recently (with the arguement of "Well, it SAID it's an antivirus so it must be!"). She still falls for phishing emails and I've had to stop her many times from clicking on them. A vast majority of older adults suck at computing.

But I think Honchkrow was getting more at the fact of JS blaming THEIR DB being breached on users simply not securing their accounts enough. Which is total bullshit and not the way you address an issue.

Yeah, that was what i was saying, lol.

#81 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2015 - 01:07 PM

>5. Remember the old adage: "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is".
Pfffttt those idiots, what the hell does this have to do with CGing? You could just be going to some regular-looking shop through the shop wizard and bam you get fucked over :V

#82 NeoVix

NeoVix
  • 152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2015 - 01:11 PM

This wasn't CGing..my god the cheek of them to post that when this was a clear database breach..caused by something THEY fucked up :D

#83 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2015 - 01:20 PM

Honestly, I don't give a crap what it was or what it wasn't. I don't even know enough of anything to wrap my head around it and try to figure it out. :cool:

All I care about is the DRAMA. That's all that matters, nothing else. :p

#84 Xwiint

Xwiint
  • 211 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2015 - 02:54 PM

With stuff like this happening, I would totally quit Neopets...but the entertainment the drama provides is way worth it.

#85 Amie

Amie
  • 226 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 10:08 PM

With stuff like this happening, I would totally quit Neopets...but the entertainment the drama provides is way worth it.

^This.

This is the most drama I've seen in ages! Yay!

Makes me want to play Neo actively again.

#86 Nikiforov

Nikiforov
  • 125 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:48 AM

This wasn't CGing..my god the cheek of them to post that when this was a clear database breach..caused by something THEY fucked up :D

reminds me of the "misfiring lab ray" incident  :lol2:

#87 Xwiint

Xwiint
  • 211 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:57 AM

reminds me of the "misfiring lab ray" incident  :lol2:

Remind me...what was the "misfiring lab ray" incident?

#88 Guppie

Guppie
  • 1285 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 July 2015 - 09:21 AM

Oh, I haven't been paying much mind to the boards or fan sites, so I thought it was CG. Well...is there anything users can do to secure their accounts when TNT are the ones fucking up?

#89 Grumpy

Grumpy
  • 234 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:14 PM

Oh, I haven't been paying much mind to the boards or fan sites, so I thought it was CG. Well...is there anything users can do to secure their accounts when TNT are the ones fucking up?

My understanding is your best source of protection is frequently changing your password.

#90 Guppie

Guppie
  • 1285 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:20 PM

My understanding is your best source of protection is frequently changing your password.

Ugh. That sounds like effort. I guess it's less effort than I often put into pet pages, so I'll do it, but I will complain about it.

COMPLAIN! COMPLAIN! COMPLAIN!

#91 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:46 PM

And stay away from any kind of contact with players (neoboards, NM, guilds). :p

Remind me...what was the "misfiring lab ray" incident?

If I remember correctly, magicalgrl is talking about Ad0, a player who, allegedly, hacked Neopets year ago and did something to the BD that took away all Pets' stats of anyone who entered there. TNT never acknowledged the issue and said it was a "misfiring Lab Ray" incident (not even giving a fuck that not all players had access to the Lab). On top of that, they didn't put back the lost stats to all pets, but only for a few players (favorites, someone might called it :rolleyes: ).

#92 tmack1337

tmack1337
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 10:18 PM

When I saw that post, I just laughed at the fact that this was pretty much jumpstart's way of giving us the one finger salute rather than admit it was a database breach. I just hate how they didn't do the server rollback or give the victims all their items/np back, because a lot of people are probably going to quit neo over not getting their stuff back...way to kill the site jumpstart! :ohwell:

#93 Amie

Amie
  • 226 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 10:23 PM

When I saw that post, I just laughed at the fact that this was pretty much jumpstart's way of giving us the one finger salute rather than admit it was a database breach. I just hate how they didn't do the server rollback or give the victims all their items/np back, because a lot of people are probably going to quit neo over not getting their stuff back...way to kill the site jumpstart! :ohwell:

^This. :/ The playerbase is dwindling as it is.

#94 tmack1337

tmack1337
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 10:28 PM

Jumpstart just totally sucks...they are seriuosly killing my favorite site! I never thought in a million years neopets would start to look like it's going down the road of getting just as fucked up as gaia is, but SURPRISE! :thumbdown:

#95 Ka1

Ka1
  • 955 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:13 AM

Keep in mind:
Contrary to what many people claim, no one has ever hacked into Neopets, accessed user information, accounts or usernames. The ONLY means by which a user can have an account stolen is when they inadvertently or intentionally gives away their password.

For Online Safety Tips, please read our Golden Rules page. For Password Security tips, visit our Security Help page.

Remember don't enter your Neopets username and password on a non-Neopets site. If it doesn't say www.neopets.com in the URL, then it is not Neopets.

If you spot anything that isn't right and our monitors haven't addressed the problem, please notify us using this form and it will be removed ASAP.

When did they add this in the Chat rules?

The more they say, the more i suspect that the neo database was hacked...

I wonder anyone hack into their database to get frozen accounts uniced or maybe look for the random avatar solutions

Edited by Ka1, 20 July 2015 - 02:13 AM.

#96 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:21 AM

I think that's been there for a few years. I'm not exactly sure how many, though.

#97 Sehunie

Sehunie
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:37 AM

I think it's still around.. Coffee and meerca galleries were dropped into the MT yesterday.

i thought they only donated (AKA hacked) worthy items to the MT like paintbrushes or something :L

#98 iKate

iKate
  • Cat Lady

• 1707 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:47 AM

I think it's still around.. Coffee and meerca galleries were dropped into the MT yesterday.

i thought they only donated (AKA hacked) worthy items to the MT like paintbrushes or something :L

I think that's because of people mass donating items to the money tree. There is/was a huge delay so maybe that's why items were still showing up? :/ 

#99 Sehunie

Sehunie
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:05 AM

I think that's because of people mass donating items to the money tree. There is/was a huge delay so maybe that's why items were still showing up? :/

I hope so, it's pretty sad to see, some took months to literally get all of the tea items in their collection, for example.

I thought I'd be safe with my cakes, but apparently I'm not  :unsure:

#100 Guppie

Guppie
  • 1285 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:03 PM

I hope so, it's pretty sad to see, some took months to literally get all of the tea items in their collection, for example.

I thought I'd be safe with my cakes, but apparently I'm not  :unsure:

Your gallery ended up in the tree, or you're afraid that it will?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users