Photo

Around 50 dead, 53 injured in Orlando nightclub shooting

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#51 Faeling

Faeling
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 08:05 PM

my heart breaks for the families and friends that lost loved ones, a horrible tragedy 

#52 Snowiesh

Snowiesh
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 09:19 PM

This is sad :( Read about this one mom who received like final text (?) from his son, who is hiding in the bathroom. Not sure whether the fate of the son is now known.

#53 Marionette

Marionette
  • 327 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2016 - 01:00 AM

This is sad :( Read about this one mom who received like final text (?) from his son, who is hiding in the bathroom. Not sure whether the fate of the son is now known.

I saw that. His name has been added to the list of those killed. Here

It's heartbreaking for all involved.

#54 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:19 AM

BBC reporting there's no clear evidence linking the gunman to IS. He may have claimed allegiance but there was no direction.

#55 Guppie

Guppie
  • 1285 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:29 AM

I like to think that the world is getting better in general, but sometimes it's really hard to focus on the good things, and sometimes it's necessary to focus on the bad.

Something I think is often left out of the narrative of violent crimes, and especially American shootings, is that these crimes are not just an issue of the moment: they are part of a historical narrative with roots that go centuries deep.

This attack was not just religious, nor was it just violent, nor was it committed just because the perpetrator had guns, nor was it just against a race crime nor just a crime of homophobia. It was all of these things, and while it's possible that it might not have happened without one factor, all of these issues are important to consider.

There are a lot of issues which we must resolve if we do not want this moment to become the roots of another attack. In order to move forward, we've got to reflect on our past. What brought us to this moment as we watch and read about this tragedy? Just because it is not our fault does not mean that it is not our responsibility to try to do something about it.

#56 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:31 AM

I'm going to leave out my opinions on religion. That's just going to open arguments that I don't feel like having right now.

But the point of the matter is, there's countless ways he probably got that gun, and lax gun laws are how they're happening. 

You can consider it a right to own a gun all you want, but I think the safety and security of other human beings comes before an outdated constitutional "right" about barely functioning muskets. 

#57 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:45 AM

Aren't all terrorist attacks hate crimes? Radical extremists hate americans, and homosexuals, and christians, and marathon runners, and probably people who like root beer floats. Bastards. And Westboro is just as bad too me.

There is a very clear distinction between exercising your first amendment and killing people you dislike.

The Westboro group may be a hate group but they haven't crossed that line. Disagree with their views if you'd like but at the very least they are within their rights.

#58 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:54 AM

There is a very clear distinction between exercising your first amendment and killing people you dislike.

The Westboro group may be a hate group but they haven't crossed that line. Disagree with their views if you'd like but at the very least they are within their rights.

I hate westboro, and they're absolute scum sucking pigs, but they've never committed violent acts. 

#59 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:56 AM

I hate westboro, and they're absolute scum sucking pigs, but they've never committed violent acts. 

Welcome to America where you're free to talk as much shit as you'd like but not shoot someone.

I personally like it that way.

#60 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:59 AM

Welcome to America where you're free to talk as much shit as you'd like but not shoot someone.

I personally like it that way.

Same. I just ignore the westboro entirely tbh. No one really cares what they have to say except other radicals anyway. 

#61 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2016 - 10:03 AM

I just saw what they said. Absolutely demented.

#62 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 13 June 2016 - 10:04 AM

I haven't seen it, and I'm not sure I want to. 

#63 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2016 - 10:05 AM

I haven't seen it, and I'm not sure I want to. 

Don't read it. They say stuff like this for almost every tragedy - they even said things about the Sandy Hook Elementary school shooting. They're out of their minds and nothing they say should ever be reported on. 

#64 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 13 June 2016 - 10:07 AM

Don't read it. They say stuff like this for almost every tragedy - they even said things about the Sandy Hook Elementary school shooting. They're out of their minds and nothing they say should ever be reported on. 

This event hits a little close to home for me. 

I think if I saw that it might push me over the edge, I wish they'd shut the fuck up though. 

#65 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2016 - 10:10 AM

I think if I saw that it might push me over the edge, I wish they'd shut the fuck up though. 

Which is likely what they want to happen by saying the inflammatory things they say.

Don't pay attention to them and you'll be fine. Takes two to tango.

That was your first mistake.

#66 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2016 - 10:11 AM

This event hits a little close to home for me. 

Yeah, I wouldn't read it. Just focus on all of the support the victims and community are receiving. 

#67 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 13 June 2016 - 10:35 AM

Which is likely what they want to happen by saying the inflammatory things they say.

Don't pay attention to them and you'll be fine. Takes two to tango.

That was your first mistake.

Yeah, that's why I always ignore them. Not because I don't care. But because paying them attention is what they want. 

Yeah, I wouldn't read it. Just focus on all of the support the victims and community are receiving. 

Exactly what I'm doing. I heard a rumor there was more than one shooter, but it was an unconfirmed source on a facebook post. I'll try to find it again to see what everyone thinks

#68 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2016 - 02:41 PM

BBC reporting there's no clear evidence linking the gunman to IS. He may have claimed allegiance but there was no direction.

Apparently he claimed allegiance with ISIS and Hezzbollah and he also gave shout outs to the Boston Bombers who were affiliated with Al Qaida, and a suicide bomber in Al Nustra. This doesn't make any sense at all considering ISIS, Hezzbollah and Al Nusra are all fighting against each other and Al Qaida was the group who kicked out the members that formed ISIS in the first place. This dude was clearly just another dumb ass American.

https://www.washingt...-and-hezbollah/

Edited by Mishelle, 13 June 2016 - 02:41 PM.

#69 Kitty

Kitty
  • Kitten please 🐱

• 272 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2016 - 03:06 PM

This is just behind sad, I feel like every time theirs a mass shooting we always debate gun laws. GUNS don't kill people.. People kill other people.  :crybaby: We need to learn to spread more love instead of hate, who the freak cares if they were gay?? Not me they are still someones son/daughter/mother etc. They are PEOPLE and thats what we all ARE.  :agree:

#70 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2016 - 03:26 PM

http://gawker.com/or...nd-h-1781920316

Apparently the shooter was a regular at Pulse and had a Grindr profile.

#71 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2016 - 03:29 PM

Apparently he claimed allegiance with ISIS and Hezzbollah and he also gave shout outs to the Boston Bombers who were affiliated with Al Qaida, and a suicide bomber in Al Nustra. This doesn't make any sense at all considering ISIS, Hezzbollah and Al Nusra are all fighting against each other and Al Qaida was the group who kicked out the members that formed ISIS in the first place. This dude was clearly just another dumb ass American.

https://www.washingt...-and-hezbollah/

And this is precisely why I kept saying we should wait until it's investigated before screaming terrorism. :|

#72 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2016 - 03:38 PM

And this is precisely why I kept saying we should wait until it's investigated before screaming terrorism. :|

It was terrorism though. :/

#73 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2016 - 03:41 PM

It was terrorism though. :/

Yeah but all these politicians are talking about ~radical islam~ when this seems to be a case of the same domestic terrorism Americans cause every 2-3 months.

#74 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 13 June 2016 - 04:57 PM

Yeah but all these politicians are talking about ~radical islam~ when this seems to be a case of the same domestic terrorism Americans cause every 2-3 months.

True, but regardless of religion or anything else. It's still an act of terrorism. Not on the behalf of a god maybe. But still terrorism. 

#75 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2016 - 05:11 PM

Every time I seem to read a report, it seems to have contradictory information. I don't know if people are confused, there isn't much evidence, or the media is just trying to make an easy buck. I really hope it isn't the latter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users