Ball Pythons are vastly overrated. 

As pets or in a curry?

#454 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:40 PM

In what sense, if you don't mind explaining? Genuinely interested!

Sorry to butt in, but I was googling and I've read a lot of stuff that says the majority of men have testicular cancer in autopsies and the majority of women have thyroid cancer and the upward spike in both of those might be from a trend of overdiagnoses and a technological evolution and not from an actual upward trend in those types of cancers. They actually reclassified a type of thyroid nodule from cancerous to non-cancerous here in the US because the protocol was to have the entire thyroid removed, even though the chances of having the cancer spread beyond that nodule in the person's lifetime was less than .5%. I thought that was fascinating af and I read a similar article about a type of cancerous ovarian nodule. 

THANKS FOR LISTENING TO MY IRRELEVANT INPUT 

#455 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 December 2017 - 07:37 PM

Sorry to butt in, but I was googling and I've read a lot of stuff that says the majority of men have testicular cancer in autopsies and the majority of women have thyroid cancer and the upward spike in both of those might be from a trend of overdiagnoses and a technological evolution and not from an actual upward trend in those types of cancers. They actually reclassified a type of thyroid nodule from cancerous to non-cancerous here in the US because the protocol was to have the entire thyroid removed, even though the chances of having the cancer spread beyond that nodule in the person's lifetime was less than .5%. I thought that was fascinating af and I read a similar article about a type of cancerous ovarian nodule. 

Well, thanks for the input! I actually had a class about that this semester, and overdiagnosis is, indeed, a really big issue nowadays, especially among the elderly population (but in this case it's more related to the fact that in a lot of cases, the treatment would end up shortening their lives while also worsening their quality of life)

#456 greenhorn

greenhorn
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:28 PM

As pets or in a curry?

Mostly I'm just tired of going to reptile shows and not being able to find anything else for all the tables of ball pythons. They're pretty but they're not that great you know?

I've never had it in a curry, but I love curry so I'm sure it would be good.

#457 GhostMommy

GhostMommy
  • 559 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:57 PM

Mostly I'm just tired of going to reptile shows and not being able to find anything else for all the tables of ball pythons. They're pretty but they're not that great you know?

I've never had it in a curry, but I love curry so I'm sure it would be good.

I've only had rattlesnake and copperhead.   I understand about the shows as I am a lizard person myself.   A person that likes lizards.

Edited by MissToad, 11 December 2017 - 08:00 PM.

#458 vbishop86

vbishop86
  • 19 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:06 AM

Well, thanks for the input! I actually had a class about that this semester, and overdiagnosis is, indeed, a really big issue nowadays, especially among the elderly population (but in this case it's more related to the fact that in a lot of cases, the treatment would end up shortening their lives while also worsening their quality of life)

I can see that. My grandfather was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Treatments would not have helped him (not only was he very old, but it was late-stage when it was discovered) so we all chose to let it progress naturally and provide palliative non-curative care. It was hard enough seeing the toll the cancer was taking on him, I can't imagine what would have happened if they tried chemotherapy or other types of treatment to cure him.

#459 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:58 PM

You are thinking of prostate cancer in men. As a man, if you live long enough, you will get prostate cancer. however, having said that, it is still the number 3 cancer killer in men. Also, I think you are confusing the terms "Cancer" and "Tumor." Maybe a majority of woman of thyroid tumors, but the majority dont have cancer. 

I can see that. My grandfather was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Treatments would not have helped him (not only was he very old, but it was late-stage when it was discovered) so we all chose to let it progress naturally and provide palliative non-curative care. It was hard enough seeing the toll the cancer was taking on him, I can't imagine what would have happened if they tried chemotherapy or other types of treatment to cure him.

Pacreatic cancer blows. Sorry man. One of the reasons it is so bad is that by the time any symptoms present, it is (usually) so late in the stage of cancer that palliative care is the only feasible option. I think that oncology is a field that is actually somewhat dishonest, putting some patients through horrendous treatments that cost sometimes 100,000s of dollars and only add weeks (if that) to life. It is a field of medicine I am not particularly proud of. 

Cancer is good for you.

still confused by this though

#460 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:50 AM

You are thinking of prostate cancer in men. As a man, if you live long enough, you will get prostate cancer. however, having said that, it is still the number 3 cancer killer in men. Also, I think you are confusing the terms "Cancer" and "Tumor." Maybe a majority of woman of thyroid tumors, but the majority dont have cancer. 

Pacreatic cancer blows. Sorry man. One of the reasons it is so bad is that by the time any symptoms present, it is (usually) so late in the stage of cancer that palliative care is the only feasible option. I think that oncology is a field that is actually somewhat dishonest, putting some patients through horrendous treatments that cost sometimes 100,000s of dollars and only add weeks (if that) to life. It is a field of medicine I am not particularly proud of. 

still confused by this though

I think you're right about prostate cancer. I know I'm thinking about thyroid cancer and nodules though. The majority of people HAD thyroid cancer, but like I said earlier, they reclassified the type of nodule with cancerous cells in it to a non-cancer diagnosis because of how slow growing it was. 

I can't for anything find the link with study I saw that on though, because I was researching something else entirely when I came across it.

#461 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:30 AM

Spoiler

#462 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:03 PM

Spoiler

s05e05_480.jpg

#463 GhostMommy

GhostMommy
  • 559 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:49 PM

I believe that cis men are almost never slut shamed.  

#464 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:49 PM

I believe that cis men are almost never slut shamed.  

I don't think that's really an unpopular opinion. Honestly it's almost a fact lmao

#465 Dorea

Dorea
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:52 PM

"Free" healthcare isn't all that great.

#466 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:18 PM

Let's get this going again.

I think there is a decent percentage of people who self diagnose their mental illness in order to garner sympathy.

The amount of people that say they have ADD or ADHD or OCD but have never gone to a doctor is mind boggling. HOW DO YOU KNOW YOU HAVE IT IF A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL HASN'T TOLD YOU.

Motherfuckers do it for attention. 

#467 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:53 PM

Let's get this going again.

I think there is a decent percentage of people who self diagnose their mental illness in order to garner sympathy.

The amount of people that say they have ADD or ADHD or OCD but have never gone to a doctor is mind boggling. HOW DO YOU KNOW YOU HAVE IT IF A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL HASN'T TOLD YOU.

Motherfuckers do it for attention. 

That's so true. And it doesn't help with the stigma of mental illnesses at all - maybe even makes it worse.

#468 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:07 PM

I think some people post shit-ass opinions that are not remotely validated by facts, that ignore the nuance of socioeconomic structures and varying levels of privilege, for attention. Opinions are for flavors and colors, not the marginalization of human beings.

#469 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:10 PM

Poop is not that gross.

#470 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:36 AM

That's so true. And it doesn't help with the stigma of mental illnesses at all - maybe even makes it worse.

There are people that legitimately need treatment for their conditions and these people trivialize what they go through.
OCD isn't wanting to keep your area clean, OCD is having to open and close your bedroom door 150 times every morning because you think something bad will happen if you don't.

I think some people post shit-ass opinions that are not remotely validated by facts, that ignore the nuance of socioeconomic structures and varying levels of privilege, for attention. Opinions are for flavors and colors, not the marginalization of human beings.

Can't tell if this is a dig at what I said. If it is, confront me head on instead of being passive aggressive. People respect you more for that.

#471 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 March 2018 - 10:16 AM

Opinions are for flavors and colors, not the marginalization of human beings.

Is that opinion validated by facts?

#472 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 March 2018 - 10:28 AM

You're all whiny and annoying.

#473 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 March 2018 - 11:58 AM

You're all whiny and annoying.

I always thought of you as Codex's grumpy uncle.

Like Clint Eastwood but not crazy. Just ornery.

#474 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 March 2018 - 01:57 PM

A preponderance of emotional support animals should absolutely not be labeled as such, they just do it for benefits (having a pet in a pet free apartment, not paying for pet on plane, etc) and it gives a stigma to owners of actual service animals.

There are people that legitimately need treatment for their conditions and these people trivialize what they go through.
OCD isn't wanting to keep your area clean, OCD is having to open and close your bedroom door 150 times every morning because you think something bad will happen if you don't.

Yeah,there is a thing called obsessive compulsive personality disorder which is more like the "I have to have clean stuff" which is very different than the intrusive thoughts and behaviors of OCD. Also, I hate people that use things as an excuse in general. Especially if it is not a real diagnosis. Like if someone says "I can't help that I am obnoxious, i have ADHD" first of all, you can help it, it is just more difficult. Second, if you haven't seen a doctor for it, you can't claim to have ADHD 

#475 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 March 2018 - 02:53 PM

A preponderance of emotional support animals should absolutely not be labeled as such, they just do it for benefits (having a pet in a pet free apartment, not paying for pet on plane, etc) and it gives a stigma to owners of actual service animals.

Yeah,there is a thing called obsessive compulsive personality disorder which is more like the "I have to have clean stuff" which is very different than the intrusive thoughts and behaviors of OCD. Also, I hate people that use things as an excuse in general. Especially if it is not a real diagnosis. Like if someone says "I can't help that I am obnoxious, i have ADHD" first of all, you can help it, it is just more difficult. Second, if you haven't seen a doctor for it, you can't claim to have ADHD 

You just described someone very close to me. Every day, and I mean EVERY day, they post things on facebook about having OCD and needing to clean things. They have no 'ticks', nor intrusive thoughts...they just like things being clean. They have no rituals other than vacuuming every other day, and washing the dishes every day, but yet they have "OCD". People who do this really don't help those who actually have OCD one bit, and I feel bad about it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: unpopular opinion, scot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users