because dont

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#26 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:25 PM

I don't believe in either horoscopes or astrology but I've just been thinking about it and decided that there is a possibility of astrology having a small level of plausibility. My thinking behind that conclusion is nothing to do with the positioning of most planets or anything like that but on the the environmental factors which would come into play if you're born at particular times of the year. For example, if you're born in the winter you'd likely be exposed to less sunlight in the first few months of your life and that might influence your development which could later show an effect on your personality, or perhaps you'd only be exposed to certain foods at that time of the year and that could also have an impact. I can't see it being plausible for the whole predicting the future thing though.

#27 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:31 PM

I know. I just wanted to talk smack about people who believe in this one more time. :p

Oh, nevermind. I just saw this. Nty.

#28 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:34 PM

I don't believe in either horoscopes or astrology but I've just been thinking about it and decided that there is a possibility of astrology having a small level of plausibility. My thinking behind that conclusion is nothing to do with the positioning of most planets or anything like that but on the the environmental factors which would come into play if you're born at particular times of the year. For example, if you're born in the winter you'd likely be exposed to less sunlight in the first few months of your life and that might influence your development which could later show an effect on your personality, or perhaps you'd only be exposed to certain foods at that time of the year and that could also have an impact. I can't see it being plausible for the whole predicting the future thing though.

So basically nature vs nuture?

Oh, nevermind. I just saw this. Nty.

Oops, you have smileys turned off right? I put a joking smiley face at the end of that. I do hope that you do not at all feel like I would respond to anything you say rudely and believe me when I say that I will have no name calling or aggression in my thread.

#29 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:43 PM

So basically nature vs nuture?

Quite. Seems logical enough to me.

#30 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:43 PM

Quite.

That would have been a better thread discussion. :(

#31 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:46 PM

That actually makes a lot of sense. Exposure to drugs during infancy certainly impacts humans; it wouldn't be surprising if food and other environmental factors could have some impact on your development and personality.

#32 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:47 PM

That would have been a better thread discussion. :(

There's no reason why you can't have another thread on the subject considering it's only really related to this thread by the tenuous linkages in my brain. :p

#33 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:51 PM

There's no reason why you can't have another thread on the subject considering it's only really related to this thread by the tenuous linkages in my brain. :p

No, I think it links perfectly with this thread. Nature in the sense of the alignment of the stars dictating your personality or future vs nuture of your upbringing determining your personality.

But that would be a good thread. Gonna put that in my back pocket. I like threads that make people think and everyone's answers here seem very well thought out and are interesting to read.

#34 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 August 2016 - 01:00 PM

There's that chapter in Freakonomics about the chances of becoming a professional sportsman depending on what time of year a child is born, because it will end up stronger/faster than its peers in academic years/sports team age groups etc. Same as how they worry that August babies have had almost a year less development at the start of school. Various things that timing impacts on!

#35 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 August 2016 - 01:03 PM

There's that chapter in Freakonomics about the chances of becoming a professional sportsman depending on what time of year a child is born, because it will end up stronger/faster than its peers in academic years/sports team age groups etc. Same as how they worry that August babies have had almost a year less development at the start of school. Various things that timing impacts on!

I actually thought up the idea of vacuum-pump Tupperware once as a young'un. If I'd have been born in September and about 30 years earlier then I could have patented it and been rich by now. <_<

#36 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 August 2016 - 07:18 AM

Depends on where you live though. Winter doesn't exist in Florida, and there's almost always sunlight (sunshine state). Maybe Florida is so crazy because the extreme heat causes it. 

But anyway, I like looking at horoscope/astrology things for fun. 

#37 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:16 AM

I don't actually believe in astrology/horoscopes, but I do like to have fun with them.

Anyway, it seems like a pretty harmless interest as long as the person who believes this stuff isn't completely obsessed and it's negatively affecting their day to day life (which would probably be indicative of something else going on psychologically).

#38 pancakeface

pancakeface
  • 769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 August 2016 - 01:37 AM

I used to believe in horoscopes. But I met somebody with the same birthday as me (day, month, year) and we had such different lives and personalities so I gave that up.

Meanwhile, I no longer want to believe in horoscopes but I find them people I'm drawn to tend to be born in a certain month (or later parts in the month before it). And I don't know how to feel about this.

#39 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:51 AM

I used to believe in horoscopes. But I met somebody with the same birthday as me (day, month, year) and we had such different lives and personalities so I gave that up.

Meanwhile, I no longer want to believe in horoscopes but I find them people I'm drawn to tend to be born in a certain month (or later parts in the month before it). And I don't know how to feel about this.

Obviously I'm confused because I thought your sign was also dependent on your year of birth lol ... Or am I thinking of the Chinese calendar?  :S  :S  :S

#40 sprockets

sprockets
  • DonJonatino

• 759 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 August 2016 - 09:33 AM

Obviously I'm confused because I thought your sign was also dependent on your year of birth lol ... Or am I thinking of the Chinese calendar? :S :S :S

Yep, you're thinking of the Chinese horoscopes which is dependent on the year you're born. While the Western horoscopes are dependent on the month

#41 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 August 2016 - 09:46 AM

Yep, you're thinking of the Chinese horoscopes which is dependent on the year you're born. While the Western horoscopes are dependent on the month

Ah ok, yes, that must be what I'm thinking of. I feel like where I live the Chinese horoscopes are a lot more popular than the Western one.

#42 Bendyounet

Bendyounet
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:48 AM

I don't believe in horoscopes but I can use them in my own interest, as with my gf : "wow. Taurus and Virgo are made for each other. Look at us ! We're perfect together." XDDD 

Edited by Bendyounet, 23 August 2016 - 05:48 AM.

#43 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:53 AM

That actually makes a lot of sense. Exposure to drugs during infancy certainly impacts humans; it wouldn't be surprising if food and other environmental factors could have some impact on your development and personality.

Have you read this, which suggests that poverty is a much bigger influence than crack on babies?

#44 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:13 AM

Have you read this, which suggests that poverty is a much bigger influence than crack on babies?

That's a great article. I'm not even surprised. Poverty is hugely detrimental to the cognitive, emotional, and intellectual well being of a person. Children are especially vulnerable.

#45 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:14 AM

Depends on where you live though. Winter doesn't exist in Florida, and there's almost always sunlight (sunshine state). Maybe Florida is so crazy because the extreme heat causes it. 

But anyway, I like looking at horoscope/astrology things for fun. 

Mosquito poisoning poisoning.

#46 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 August 2016 - 02:23 PM

I cannot find a reason why I would genuinely believe in astrology, but my grandmother is highly spiritual so she taught me a lot about it and I generally enjoy reading up on it, even though I take it with huge grains of salt.

I especially like blaming my bad behaviour on me being a Scorpio though.

#47 Karla

Karla
  • 2478 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:25 PM

I used to believe in horoscopes back then, because they mostly came true. But now I feel they're just silly and just a part of creative journalism. :p

#48 Daria

Daria
  • 419 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:57 PM

I believe in them.

One time my mum ordered a horoscope about my entire life for me - what I've been through thus far and what I will go through and all of my personality stuff and whatnot. That stuff was freaky because I felt like I was reading a memoir!! What you had to do was put in your date of birth and time and place and some other things, and the person who writes the horoscope looks at the alignment of the stars at that exact place and time.

I think there are 'gifted' people out there who truly can see beyond our world and who can understand things on a deeper level. I do not, however, believe all this trash you read in magazines and find on websites. People who are truly gifted don't seek fame or money they are just out there to help those in need.

#49 sprockets

sprockets
  • DonJonatino

• 759 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:09 AM

I believe in them.

One time my mum ordered a horoscope about my entire life for me - what I've been through thus far and what I will go through and all of my personality stuff and whatnot. That stuff was freaky because I felt like I was reading a memoir!! What you had to do was put in your date of birth and time and place and some other things, and the person who writes the horoscope looks at the alignment of the stars at that exact place and time.

I think there are 'gifted' people out there who truly can see beyond our world and who can understand things on a deeper level. I do not, however, believe all this trash you read in magazines and find on websites. People who are truly gifted don't seek fame or money they are just out there to help those in need.

@Daria, this was like my experience with the lady who read my horoscope this year. I was thinking about how much of an influence changing just a single variable would be but then I thought of twins who are born minutes (or hours apart) and how different they could be with all the others being constant (i.e. location and date). 

Who knows though, perhaps I've just been duped because I want to believe. To know that there's a reason for everything.

#50 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 August 2016 - 07:54 AM

I believe in them.

Out of curiosity, have you ever thought about why or how the star's alignment has influenced your life and personality?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users