because dont

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#51 MozzarellaSticks

MozzarellaSticks
  • 272 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 August 2016 - 10:22 AM

I don't believe in them, but they're super fun and I don't care.

#52 Daria

Daria
  • 419 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 August 2016 - 09:52 PM

Out of curiosity, have you ever thought about why or how the star's alignment has influenced your life and personality?

I'm not too sure to be honest but I have an idea that it has something to do with how the stars align and how the sun influences each planet and your star sign at that exact time. It's called an astrology chart. I'm not too sure how those alignments get transferred to a person though. However they do, I believe in it because those alignments haven't lied about me

https://www.quora.co...personality-etc
This article sort of explains my understanding of it all

Edited by Daria, 25 August 2016 - 09:56 PM.

#53 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2016 - 12:25 AM

I'm not too sure to be honest but I have an idea that it has something to do with how the stars align and how the sun influences each planet and your star sign at that exact time. It's called an astrology chart. I'm not too sure how those alignments get transferred to a person though. However they do, I believe in it because those alignments haven't lied about me

https://www.quora.co...personality-etc
This article sort of explains my understanding of it all

I read the article and while it does explain the method, it doesn't explain how or why it works?

I think for me, it's like religion. It's illogical and unproven and yet the masses believe in it and do not need proof or science. I think this just irks me a lot more because the people I've met who believe in horoscopes cannot fathom that it is a theory and it's not supported by any form of science. I feel like people are getting duped and it hurts my heart.

#54 Daria

Daria
  • 419 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2016 - 04:20 AM

I read the article and while it does explain the method, it doesn't explain how or why it works?

I think for me, it's like religion. It's illogical and unproven and yet the masses believe in it and do not need proof or science. I think this just irks me a lot more because the people I've met who believe in horoscopes cannot fathom that it is a theory and it's not supported by any form of science. I feel like people are getting duped and it hurts my heart.

Astrology has been used for thousands of years including by ancient Egyptians way before religion was invented. I don't try to force my beliefs on others I just try to educate and explain as much as I can because I know everyone will always be different. Everyone has different personalities, different cultures, different genes, different characteristics, different beliefs. I think that our goal as humans is to try to live in unity with each other, respecting everything that makes each and every one of us as an individual.
Astrology and horoscopes is something that has worked for me PERSONALLY and I have been speaking from my own experiences. Everyone has been exposed to different ways of living and different ways of understanding our world and like I said our aim is just to try and live at peace and empathise with one another :)

(Totes went a little off topic haha)

And in regards to the article - yeah it doesn't really explain how the star alignment gets transferred into a human. I just did a quick Google search to find things and that's the best I came across. I think it would be a pretty difficult topic to explain

Edited by Daria, 26 August 2016 - 04:23 AM.

#55 Jozie

Jozie
  • I'm a Unicorn!

• 1973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:38 AM

@Daria horoscopes have worked for me as well in ways I can't explain! When people question why I believe in them, I question why they believe in God. I don't necessarily need an answer, it's just how I rebuttal and usually the answer they give, I can turn around and use it for the same reason I believe in horoscopes/tarot. The people who really have a problem with me believing in horoscopes in my life are usually those who go to church and believe in God. While I see absolutely nothing wrong with them believing in God, it baffles me that they cannot understand my beliefs are for me to understand, not them!

#56 Daria

Daria
  • 419 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2016 - 02:56 PM

An exact natal horoscope requires more particular study calculated on the exact moment of birth. In the pseudo-science of astrology, star-watchers determine the planets’ influence on human beings by placing the earth at the center of the solar system and measuring positions of the planets at a particular moment, which must be computed exactly by Greenwich Mean Time. By establishing the geographical coordinates of longitude and latitude, the astrologer determines the horoscope (literally, “hour watch”), an objective diagram or natal chart summarizing locations of heavenly bodies at the horoscopus (the moment of birth). People who believe in star power and who claim a sun sign learn the general personality type, comprised of attitude, intelligence, and behavior, that evolves from the influence of the stars. Astral divination projects for each of the twelve signs a range of positive and negative character and behavior traits. For example, meticulous concern for details, which can improve a business career, but can ruin an over-zealous housekeeper. The claim “to be born under a sign” implies that the individual knows what the sun’s position was at the time of birth. Because the thirty-degree arc of each constellation varies from exact center, a person born in the center of the arc is more strongly influenced by the specific sun sign than one born at the edge of the arc, a position known as the cusp. To study the general predictions for an individual house (sun sign) is to estimate a broad spectrum of possibilities for people occupying the same house.
Snodgrass, Mary E.. Signs of the Zodiac. Westport, US: Greenwood Press, 1997. ProQuest ebrary. Web. 26 August 2016.
Copyright © 1997. Greenwood Press. All rights reserved. 

I did a search in my universities library websites and came across two well written books about the history of astrology and zodiacs and this quote is the best explanation they give about how the alignment influences a person. To further try to explain to you my understanding - it is that time when the person takes their 'first breath' (similar to the link i shared before) and when the 'soul' or 'energy' or 'spirit' enters ones body at that particular moment. For me, I feel like this is another way of understanding Christianity and my religion because it is that particular moment when your soul sort of 'chooses' your body and the pathways and obstacles it will face and try to overcome in life. 

If you, or anybody is interested in reading these two books that I found, I can download them and upload them on to a file sharing website for you to use.
@Meowish

#57 Jozie

Jozie
  • I'm a Unicorn!

• 1973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:21 PM

Oh I am totally down for reading the books!

#58 Daria

Daria
  • 419 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2016 - 05:57 PM

@Meowish heres the link to the two books that i uploaded i'm not sure whether or not it will work because i got it from my uni website

http://jmp.sh/sMV26M4 

you will need adobe digital editions to view the files

http://www.adobe.com...s/download.html

click to authorise your computer without ID and then hopefully the books should load

#59 Jozie

Jozie
  • I'm a Unicorn!

• 1973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:16 PM

Yeah it says page not found @Daria

Edited by Meowish, 27 August 2016 - 02:07 PM.

#60 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2016 - 01:49 PM

Snodgrass, Mary E.. Signs of the Zodiac. Westport, US: Greenwood Press, 1997. ProQuest ebrary. Web. 26 August 2016.
Copyright © 1997. Greenwood Press. All rights reserved. 

I did a search in my universities library websites and came across two well written books about the history of astrology and zodiacs and this quote is the best explanation they give about how the alignment influences a person. To further try to explain to you my understanding - it is that time when the person takes their 'first breath' (similar to the link i shared before) and when the 'soul' or 'energy' or 'spirit' enters ones body at that particular moment. For me, I feel like this is another way of understanding Christianity and my religion because it is that particular moment when your soul sort of 'chooses' your body and the pathways and obstacles it will face and try to overcome in life. 

If you, or anybody is interested in reading these two books that I found, I can download them and upload them on to a file sharing website for you to use.
@Meowish

Ok so the fact that your quote starts with confessing that astrology is pseudo-science ('a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method') does not resonate well with me lol. 

And it doesn't resonate well with me because that in itself is basically saying 'there is no proof, there is no science, it's just a belief that you either blindly believe in or don't'. And I don't. 

And you hit the head on the nail when you touched on your religious views intertwining with this theory. I suppose I was not clear in my post and that is my fault. When I said 'how/why does astrology impact who you are', I meant the actual evidence to support that theory. I understand (and more now after your post) the general idea associated with the alignment of the stars effecting your personality or future, but I don't understand the proof which supports that claim. So while you did explain to me how the method is practiced, you can't explain to me why it is fact. Because based on your quote, it's not fact. It's not scientifically supported. It's a belief. And I can respect that.

To be honest with you, I'm not a spiritual or religious person. I see children every day who are born with FASD and cognitive global delays because their parents made poor choices when they were impregnated. I see raped and abused children every day. And are they going to turn out as normal as another child because of the alignment of the stars? No, I don't think so. I don't think the stars in the sky will have absolutely any impact on them. I think that our formative years, as well as the womb, will virtually completely dictate who you are as a person. Not the stars in the sky by some unknown and inexplicable power.

#61 Jozie

Jozie
  • I'm a Unicorn!

• 1973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2016 - 02:18 PM

To be honest with you, I'm not a spiritual or religious person. I see children every day who are born with FASD and cognitive global delays because their parents made poor choices when they were impregnated. I see raped and abused children every day. And are they going to turn out as normal as another child because of the alignment of the stars? No, I don't think so. I don't think the stars in the sky will have absolutely any impact on them. I think that our formative years, as well as the womb, will virtually completely dictate who you are as a person. Not the stars in the sky by some unknown and inexplicable power.

I totally understand where you are coming from @cara I personally don't believe in the Christian God, even though I was raised to. So much bad has happened to me, in the past, that I feel that I didn't deserve, and I don't understand how a "loving god" can allow the things that happened to me, happen. I mean, without getting into great detail, it's hard to really explain why I feel the way I do about "God" but I am pagan and I believe in horoscopes and tarot. I feel at peace when I talk about it. Sure, there's no proof or scientific explanations for it, but there isn't for God either. I'd rather believe in something that makes me happy and guides me and how I live my life than believe in a God that can allow such bad things to happen in the world, to include things you said above. But all of that being said, I don't go out looking for answers about the things I believe in, but only because I am happy with my belief and am not curious to investigate. Paganism does have a history and I read all about it, but as far as seeking out proof of it, I don't feel that I need that evidence to solidify my belief. I like the unknown. Makes everything that more exciting. I do enjoy this particular topic you created though!

#62 MozzarellaSticks

MozzarellaSticks
  • 272 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:47 AM

Astrology has been used for thousands of years including by ancient Egyptians way before religion was invented. I don't try to force my beliefs on others I just try to educate and explain as much as I can because I know everyone will always be different. Everyone has different personalities, different cultures, different genes, different characteristics, different beliefs. I think that our goal as humans is to try to live in unity with each other, respecting everything that makes each and every one of us as an individual.
Astrology and horoscopes is something that has worked for me PERSONALLY and I have been speaking from my own experiences. Everyone has been exposed to different ways of living and different ways of understanding our world and like I said our aim is just to try and live at peace and empathise with one another :)

(Totes went a little off topic haha)

And in regards to the article - yeah it doesn't really explain how the star alignment gets transferred into a human. I just did a quick Google search to find things and that's the best I came across. I think it would be a pretty difficult topic to explain

In what year was religion invented?

#63 Jozie

Jozie
  • I'm a Unicorn!

• 1973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:22 AM

Day one when earth was created? I dunno... But to me, I don't think that information is important for someone to stl believe in which ever religion they believe in.

#64 MozzarellaSticks

MozzarellaSticks
  • 272 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2016 - 02:45 PM

Day one when earth was created? I dunno... But to me, I don't think that information is important for someone to stl believe in which ever religion they believe in.

So astrology was created before or with the Earth.

#65 Jozie

Jozie
  • I'm a Unicorn!

• 1973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2016 - 02:54 PM

Me personally, my opinion is before. For scientists, they are more likely to believe the big bang theory over the creationism theory. So if we are on the search for scientific evidence, then scientists say, at least favor, the big bang theory which means space was created first which involves the stars and celestial bodies (definition of celestial is positioned in or relating to the sky, or outer space as observed in astronomy.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users