• This topic is locked This topic is locked
65 replies to this topic

#1 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 December 2004 - 06:14 PM

Hey guys, the staff has been disbecausesing an idea we had for a few days now and through overwhelming 14-1 vote, we have decided to add google adsense ads to the board in very few locations. But please hear me out before exploding because of it:
Codex is NOT free, by any standards, I pay roughly 10 dollars a month, which doesn't seem like much, but it adds up at the end of the year.  But that is beside the point, I really dont mind paying the 10 dollars a month. The real issue here is Codex's potential.

As you all (should) know, Google AdSense offers anywhere from $0.10 - $1.00 per click on add (Say an average of 25 cents).  In the last month, we have had roughly 344,747 page views. If even 1 in 100 page views had an add click, that would generate .25 x 3,447, which is 861 dollars a month. But its more realistic to generate a lot less, so lets say that we generate about 50 to 100 dollars a month. If Codex were to survive for 1 more year, that would be anywhere from 600 to 1200 dollars in a single year.

This is enough to go far beyond pay for the site, we would be able to afford much better hosting, and would be able to pay people to write board modifications for us that would increase security on our forum. We would be able to purchase new skins that look better than the free ones available. Not only this but codex would be able to provide a better community to its members. Lets face it, you guys like new things ^_^ and with a constant flow of money coming in, it will be a lot easier to provide these new things to the members.

Now, you might be saying that you don’t want to see all these ads on all of the pages on codex. That’s true. I feel the same way. I hate ads with a passion, but if you weigh up the pros and the cons of these ads, then we can see that the pros greatly outweigh the cons. Like I said, it will bring in the new stuff that all of you guys enjoy. We plan to place these ads only on the portal page so you don’t have to be bothered with them wherever you turn. It will only be there should you want to support codex and click those ads.

We hope to generate enough money to pay off some of the expenditures that we would like to make and not have to pay too much out of pocket. The 10 dollars a month isn’t that hard on my pockets, but having to pay for each special mod we need is tough and there have been a lot of mods that I have passed up asking for since we si'mply didn’t have the money to do so.

As soon as you guys realize that we are doing this, I will be signing up with google adsense and adding these ads to the board.

Thank you
The Neocodex Staff

#2 Alex

Alex
  • 6640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 December 2004 - 06:16 PM

as long as you add them on the very top or on the very bottom I'm fine.

I dont mind them, and clicking them isnt a big deal.

#3 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 December 2004 - 06:17 PM

Now, you might be saying that you don’t want to see all these ads on all of the pages on codex. That’s true. I feel the same way. I hate ads with a passion, but if you weigh up the pros and the cons of these ads, then we can see that the pros greatly outweigh the cons. Like I said, it will bring in the new stuff that all of you guys enjoy. We plan to place these ads only on the portal page so you don’t have to be bothered with them wherever you turn. It will only be there should you want to support codex and click those ads.

^_^ no they wont be added to every page...ill hate that more than anyone else. I'm not in this to make the money :p , I'm just saying that codex has a lot of potential that we need to unleash.

#4 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 December 2004 - 06:18 PM

Don't worry.. we won't be overwhelmed with ads ^_^

#5 Alex

Alex
  • 6640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 December 2004 - 06:26 PM

:p no they wont be added to every page...ill hate that more than anyone else. I'm not in this to make the money :) , I'm just saying that codex has a lot of potential that we need to unleash.

View Post

talk to yourself there eh lol

Edit: [mergeti'me]1102991180[/mergeti'me]
by the will of the omighty Hydrogen...I shut up now ^_^

#6 Chris

Chris
  • 2235 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 06:31 PM

good idea, dont forget to share the wealth ^_^

#7 supatyson

supatyson
  • 1959 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 06:38 PM

Thats great, more money means more things that will amke the community of neocodex better than it already is. Go for it for sure.

#8 Cataliste

Cataliste
  • Codex's Right Hand

• 4662 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 December 2004 - 06:38 PM

what wealth????I WANT MONEY ^_^

#9 Chris

Chris
  • 2235 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 06:43 PM

ill click it once a day ^_^ <3 codex

#10 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 December 2004 - 06:45 PM

me too (multiple ti'mes if I can ^_^ )

#11 Chris

Chris
  • 2235 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 06:49 PM

dang hydro will be rollin in the benjamins

#12 LuGiA

LuGiA
  • 855 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 06:56 PM

I'm okay with it, as long as their not sitting there taking up the whole page. ^_^ It's all good. All in the fairness of codex becoming a better community.

#13 dolphinbomb

dolphinbomb
  • YAAAAAAYYYYY

• 3758 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 06:59 PM

We need to put in the adds... then make progs to click them!

^_^ Unless that's illegal...

In any case, I'll click them anyway.

#14 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 December 2004 - 07:15 PM

We need to put in the adds... then make progs to click them!

^_^ Unless that's illegal...

In any case, I'll click them anyway.

View Post

That would be illegal. Just click it if the ad interests you :p .

#15 Evan

Evan
  • 2605 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 December 2004 - 07:18 PM

Thats a sweet idea Hydro.  Nice. ^_^   :ncodex:

#16 Faisal

Faisal
  • 1989 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 07:35 PM

Yea! Nice idea hydro :ncodex:

#17 Hidden.Elf

Hidden.Elf
  • 1797 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 07:55 PM

sounds like a great idea... should have been doing that long ago :p Hydro I think you should take what you have spent on codex out of that, doesn't seem fair that one admin should pay for the site out of his own pocket ^_^ especially if codex is making that much a month

Edited by Hidden.Elf, 13 December 2004 - 07:56 PM.

#18 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 December 2004 - 08:22 PM

sounds like a great idea... should have been doing that long ago :D Hydro I think you should take what you have spent on codex out of that, doesn't seem fair that one admin should pay for the site out of his own pocket ^_^ especially if codex is making that much a month

View Post

Its really fine, I dont mind. But maybe if there is leftover money and the other admins dont mind...ill give my mom some for letting me use her cc :p but id like to take care of the other priorities first :) .

#19 m15

m15
  • 571 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 08:23 PM

I'll click em I might click up to 5 ti'mes a day cuase I like the ads :p but we should of got a google search bar and for every search we got 10-75 cents per clcik or search I had that and got 30$ total but I forgot where the hell that place is ^_^

#20 SteWieH

SteWieH
  • 3423 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 08:32 PM

umm my only question is when are they gonna be put in hydro? and you know me I'll click them every chance I get

#21 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 December 2004 - 08:37 PM

umm my only question is when are they gonna be put in hydro? and you know me I'll click them every chance I get

View Post

uhm..dont click that much, google will stop the program for us if they find fraudulent clicks. Only click if the product interests you :ermm: and google said that they would get back to me in less than a week.

#22 SteWieH

SteWieH
  • 3423 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 08:58 PM

oh that would bite. so maybe 1 click every half hour then :p

#23 AUS

AUS
  • 813 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 09:08 PM

I'll click em I might click up to 5 ti'mes a day cuase I like the ads :) but we should of got a google search bar and for every search we got 10-75 cents per clcik or search I had that and got 30$ total but I forgot where the hell that place is :p

View Post

That is part of adsearch.  It may be a good Idea...  maybe put that to the right of the banner on top?  I would perhaps be more likely to use a web search thing than click an ad.  I don't know... :p .

#24 Stephen

Stephen
  • 3527 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 December 2004 - 09:13 PM

Aww.... Adds, GHEY! oh well..

#25 AUS

AUS
  • 813 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 09:22 PM

We could add one of those paypal donation things too.  You never know if someone on this board is wealthy and would be willing to donate :p .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users