• This topic is locked This topic is locked
91 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 February 2005 - 08:49 PM

Hello everyone,

Lately I have been troubled with many thoughts. I don't feel the unity anymore.

There was once a ti'me in NeoCodex history where everyone contributed to I'mprove NeoCodex and its members as a whole. The contributions were beneficial to all of the members, and we felt a sense of pride and achievement because of our contributions.

In the last few months, however, we never felt that pride anymore. It is as if we have reached our maxi'mum potential. Even the administration has changed. We don't think like we used to, we don't decide the way we used to, and we have changed for the worst.

Honestly, how many of you (veteran members) feel the pride in NeoCodex that you used to back in April or May? Back then, we were united, motivated, and aspired. Not anymore. Where did that go? My quest for the last few months was to try and find the answer to that question.

The whole "aura" of this place, the morale.. everything has dropped to a really crappy level. Maybe some of you can help me figure this out....

- ShadowLink64

#2 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 February 2005 - 08:51 PM

I think being active is the best way to bring it back
I feel good now that we're fobecauseed on domestic issues only
I never liked forreign affairs

#3 Evan

Evan
  • 2605 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 February 2005 - 08:53 PM

We need a prune. Ive notcied the same thing, we havnt done much to change here, which sucks.  Theres gotta be something we can do to make Codex better.  Come, we gotta think. :lol:

#4 Icey Defeat

Icey Defeat
  • 8298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 February 2005 - 08:56 PM

Nicks gonna post lol....

We have had enough prunes, I think we more incentives, like a points system, or earn something per post.

#5 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 February 2005 - 08:56 PM

We will decide this together, as NeoCodex! Let every member out there voice their opinion and together we will stand.

#6 BloodRaven

BloodRaven
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 08:57 PM

Altho I have been gone for the last 3 months. I have also noticed that there aint as much pride in codex as there was before I left.

Altho, I do still think we are achiving new things and our potential is still growing...

Like for example, neocodex started icey_deafeat with programming. He learned the basics here. Then taught hi'mself ALOT. Icey is now a top notch programmer.

If it wernt for codex, I wouldent know half of what I know now.

I would have never learnt to reformat a harddrive, program PHP, I probably wouldent even know much HTML, I would have never known how hard headed I am.

I think we are still managing new things and our potential is growing. But we are all busy with school, and our own lifes throughout the school year.

Maybe we could come up with some sort of clubs? Or somthing... Where a group of people work on a certain project?

I heard about a neocodex pet site... which is a good idea!

Over the summer this year, I'm sure we will achive great things. :lol:

#7 Harley

Harley
  • 3138 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 08:58 PM

What can we I'mprove on? We have achieved our maxi'mum potential, if you think we are getting less active think of a few ways that you can make the site more active again, then take it to the other Admins, smods and mods. Its not our right to tell you what to do to the site, it is your descision. We can give you suggestions but we cant I'mproove that, only you can. Even with the programs how no - one is contributing much, what is there to contribute to? We dont need anything else, the site is just perfect the way it is.

Even though that made no sense I agree with my self.

Think whats right for yourselfs before us, you will fell more confotable then when you I'mpament new ideas..

- Harley.

#8 Icey Defeat

Icey Defeat
  • 8298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 February 2005 - 09:00 PM

Its true, if it weren't for neocodex I wouldnt knwo what visual basic was...

#9 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

I think we should fobecause on activity. from ALL members. not just the new ones but the OLD ones too

#10 Gargar

Gargar
  • 4901 posts

hmmm get the invite system done lol witch will lead to more member because of someome recruting them witch means that person will feal good about what they did lol. I say just try to have fun and I think the point syestem or rep system would be a good idea. and more staff like you having the hole comunity thats a great idea

#11 Icey Defeat

Icey Defeat
  • 8298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 February 2005 - 09:03 PM

Even with the programs no - one is contributing much, what is there to contribute to?

View Post

There is alot to contribute to, your dignity, and your pride. Along with making even one member happy.

When I started my project a member I didn't know well Tote pmed me for support, and rankly they got me through the project which I spent prolly over 50-60 hours on.

Specific members can make a difference.

#12 BloodRaven

BloodRaven
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 09:03 PM

I think we should fobecause on activity. from ALL members. not just the new ones but the OLD ones too

View Post

Do you re read your posts after you post them noit?

I cant make heads or tail with what you just posted...

:p

Edit:

Very true corey... I remember you telling me that. You were starting to loose hope. Then tote was cheering you on and it gave you the energy to finsh the AB. :lol:

Even tho I talk to you the most outa anyone from codex, I dont even encourage you enuf.

Corey: hey nick I'm nearly done my AB

Nick: Awww shut up, your fricking VB nerd! :p

Thats my kind of encouragment :(

And yes, I know I cant spell to save my life. :)

Edited by BloodRaven, 14 February 2005 - 09:06 PM.

#13 Brad

Brad
  • How about a magic trick?

• 4565 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 09:04 PM

As a member who was around in the beginning, then left and came back, I can see a big change.
Codex has grown exponentially, and with that always comes problems. There are just too many people to maintain the group dynamic that a smaller site would have. But the thing is, we still do have that.
You see it in different sections of Codex, when people need help, or when something is wrong, there's pretty much always someone there to help.
And you've seen how many people from "other sites" have come here. And how many "other sites" have closed.
Yet we remain. That alone is a testament to our strength and our pride. We do have quite a few members here who've never been part of anywhere else, and devote an enormous portion of their lives to codex. Myself included. I love the community here and wouldn't exchange it for anything.

Now, what can we do to I'mprove? I've seen different mods for forums, allowing a point system that gives individual users extra becausetomization options. Even though I feel something like that to be pointless, a lot of people like it, and it may generate more activity if points are distributed by posts, non-spam posts mind you. The only thing is to let people try more things...

And one CENSOREDy thing from me:
s1m0n, STFU. This topic is here to let members express their opinions of this site, in hopes of making it better. As part of a community we should work together to I'mprove things, not just sit back and have things done for us. Your constant CENSOREDing isn't appreciated. And you can get the CENSORED out if you think that you're better than everyone else.

#14 Gargar

Gargar
  • 4901 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 09:05 PM

wow four people posting at the same ti'me. but norit was saying that everyone not jsut the old or new members but both should be active

#15 BloodRaven

BloodRaven
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 09:08 PM

As a member who was around in the beginning, then left and came back, I can see a big change.
Codex has grown exponentially, and with that always comes problems. There are just too many people to maintain the group dynamic that a smaller site would have. But the thing is, we still do have that.
You see it in different sections of Codex, when people need help, or when something is wrong, there's pretty much always someone there to help.
And you've seen how many people from "other sites" have come here. And how many "other sites" have closed.
Yet we remain. That alone is a testament to our strength and our pride. We do have quite a few members here who've never been part of anywhere else, and devote an enormous portion of their lives to codex. Myself included. I love the community here and wouldn't exchange it for anything.

Now, what can we do to I'mprove? I've seen different mods for forums, allowing a point system that gives individual users extra becausetomization options. Even though I feel something like that to be pointless, a lot of people like it, and it may generate more activity if points are distributed by posts, non-spam posts mind you. The only thing is to let people try more things...

And one CENSOREDy thing from me:
s1m0n, STFU. This topic is here to let members express their opinions of this site, in hopes of making it better. As part of a community we should work together to I'mprove things, not just sit back and have things done for us. Your constant CENSOREDing isn't appreciated. And you can get the CENSORED out if you think that you're better than everyone else.

View Post

Ummm... wow! Talk about big words... You should write for the codex e-zine. I only understand like half of the above words :lol:

My teacher in grade 6 said I had a grade 2 spelling avg. :(

#16 Brad

Brad

• 4565 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 09:09 PM

Ummm... wow! Talk about big words... You should write for the codex e-zine. I only understand like half of the above words :lol:

My teacher in grade 6 said I had a grade 2 spelling avg. :(

View Post

I tried... they said no :)

#17 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 February 2005 - 09:17 PM

Well, I see potential, so you should. :lol:

Also, wise words Sharingan. New things on the board do sti'mulate activity. A points system (or a shop system) would be awesome. We can rig it up so that it isn't hackable anymore and stuff. :(

#18 Gargar

Gargar
  • 4901 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 09:19 PM

what about a rpg ive see nthoughs on multiple boards?

#19 Brad

Brad

• 4565 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 09:20 PM

what about a rpg ive see nthoughs on multiple boards?

View Post

an rpg area isn't the codex thing though. it's something completely  different and isn't what we need. I thought of becausetomizations because they encourage on-topic posting.

#20 Stryyp

Stryyp
  • 2788 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 09:22 PM

I remember when I just found out what ArtMoney was, after a while, I was not finding any new hacks, and I got discouraged and started to become trepidatious with my posts and anything else I came by.  Hydro and Noit encouraged me; a completely new, clueless dolt.  Look at me now, part of the ArtMoney team :lol:

Pyke has helped me, too.  If it were not for hi'm helping me with my business and technology class, I could be far behind in it.

Robert helps me with just about any idiotic question I have :p   I would be lost without meh' Robski.

Dck helped me through anxiety during private voting.  That may not sound like alot, but it helped more than you can I'magine :(

Codex has been, and still is, a great website.  The above people I mentioned is in chronological oder, from when I just joined to the very recent private voting.

I agree that it is not as great as it used to be, but it is just a bit under the peak that it was at back then and I am still grateful for every single member on this family we call Codex.

My two cents :)

Edited by Stryyp, 14 February 2005 - 09:23 PM.

#21 Evan

Evan
  • 2605 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 February 2005 - 09:41 PM

We need some sort of game on codex.  Something that will make people want to come, and want to stay.  Not just the arcade, something more.

#22 dck

dck
  • 2361 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 10:09 PM

In response to the games thing... http://supersmashbrothers.2ya.com/ had some cool forum mods until it went down on new years =/ when it comes back up maybe one of those owuld be good.

#23 Raui

Raui
  • 5687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 February 2005 - 10:33 PM

maybe (just a suggestion) if we have a rank below jr programmer and a rank below GFX team so if your just learning you can still pick up on snippets and tuturials for that level :)

#24 Brad

Brad

• 4565 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 10:35 PM

maybe (just a suggestion) if we have a rank below jr programmer and a rank below GFX team so if your just learning you can still pick up on snippets and tuturials for that level :)

View Post

that's a good idea, like programming and gfx trainees. I'll be a programming one! I'm already on gfx :p

#25 Evan

Evan
  • 2605 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 February 2005 - 11:02 PM

*idea*  We choose one member, we ask em 20 questions to get to know them better.  Then we post em here.  (lets say I choose Hydro, I ask hi'm 20 Q's, and he asks me 20 Q's, we post our Q's and A's here.)

Edited by S!l3nt Assassin, 14 February 2005 - 11:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users