Photo

Video Games Kill Russian Boy

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Typhoon

Typhoon
  • 4133 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:28 AM

A teenager died in the Russian city of Ekaterinburg after 12 hours of playing computer games. The boy died from stroke after he had spent a half of his day playing games in a computer club. Doctors were taking lifesaving efforts for several days, but could not save the boy. The autopsy showed that the brain of a young gamer was totally destroyed.

According to the information from the press service of the city's healthcare administration, the tragedy occurred last week. The boy stayed in the game club longer than safety regulations allowed. When the boy returned home, he showed quite inadequate behavior, which made his mother call an ambulance. The boy was hospitalized, stayed in the reanimation department for seven weeks and died. Doctors concluded that computer games launched the development of the brain pathology, which the boy was suffering from, having thus provoked stroke.

Doctors of the city hospital say that they start receiving information about computer game addiction developing among teenagers on a regular basis. According to sociological research, up to 80 percent of schoolchildren of 12-13 years of age suffer from addiction to computers in Russia. Children may spend whole days sitting in front of computers without food, water and rest.

Children's addiction to computer games in Western states gradually takes the scale of alcohol and drug addiction. Such children are excessively short-tempered, irascible and emotionally unstable. They always experience a dire need of playing computer games, although they realize practical uselessness of such pastime. As a result, computer addicts suffer from inner contradictions between the real and the virtual egos.

Doctors say that serious addiction to computer games negatively affects both physical and intellectual development of children, causing depressions and psychological disorders.

#2 Cript

Cript
  • 1940 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:29 AM

I guarantee he died happy :)

Anyone who can afford to play 12 straight hours musta enjoyed it.

#3 Kimoflea

Kimoflea
  • 5359 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:41 AM

..how stupid do you have to be to sit in front of a game for 12 hours straight, no water or anything??

#4 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:44 AM

I guarantee he died happy :)

Anyone who can afford to play 12 straight hours musta enjoyed it.

View Post

ROFL :p

Poor guy though :(

#5 dck

dck
  • 2361 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:46 AM

During the summer I can play for that long (not all at one time as I have a life, but total I'm on longer than that) but doing that without eating/drinking/pissing is just stupid.

Such children are excessively short-tempered, irascible and emotionally unstable

...He's 13 and his parents were worried about that?

#6 Typhoon

Typhoon
  • 4133 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:05 AM

...He's 13 and his parents were worried about that?

View Post

QFE. That's all children between the ages of 12 and 17.

#7 Kimoflea

Kimoflea
  • 5359 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:07 AM

I'm still excessively short-tempered, irascible and emotionally unstable ^_^

#8 Typhoon

Typhoon
  • 4133 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:08 AM

You're 17... You've got about 11 months 'til you're not.

#9 Leo

Leo
  • 1020 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:31 AM

Games are all fun, but I can never play for 12 hours straight... most I ever done was 4 hours but that was at a party with multiplayer :D

Young gamer's mind totally destroyed?! That doesn't sound nice :unsure:

#10 Alex

Alex
  • 6640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:35 AM

Dam I have played that much a few times...

CRANBERRIES, this is a wake up call for me. I'm gona limit myself.

I have noticed that I'm short tempered after playing a lot..

#11 Silver

Silver
  • poppycock.

• 1041 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:37 AM

I dont beleive all of that...no way video games could have fried his brain, unless he was playing too close to a screen with radiation. And iv done close to 12 hours before, but I pause to go to the bathroom, get a drink if im thirsty, and eat if im hungry. On the other hand, just sitting there make me not as hungry, and only wanting 2 meals a day.

#12 Guest_Rambo_*

Guest_Rambo_*

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:37 AM

Dam I have played that much a few times...

CRANBERRIES, this is a wake up call for me. I'm gona limit myself.

I have noticed that I'm short tempered after playing a lot..

View Post

Heh aslong as you take breaks theres no problem.

He died cause of the stroke which the game inflicted however he was at fault.

#13 Kimoflea

Kimoflea
  • 5359 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:38 AM

I dont beleive all of that...no way video games could have fried his brain, unless he was playing too close to a screen with radiation. And iv done close to 12 hours before, but I pause to go to the bathroom, get a drink if im thirsty, and eat if im hungry. On the other hand, just sitting there make me not as hungry, and only wanting 2 meals a day.

View Post

Well.. if your brain is constantly active for 12 hours with no break, and dehydrated, it could easily break down.

#14 Typhoon

Typhoon
  • 4133 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 12:00 PM

If you read the passage his brain became too dehydrated causing inanimation and a stroke... He wasn't under the influence of everything.

#15 Frosty

Frosty
  • 1521 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 12:24 PM

When final fantasy x-2 came out, first day I was down the stores at 8AM waiting for them to open (8:30) Me and my friend matt were the first ones to buy a copy, went home (it was about 9am now) I played that game from 9am, to 3AM(next morning) no drink, food, pissing. Just playing that game. Then woke up at 6am and did the same thing LOL.

#16 Alex

Alex
  • 6640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2005 - 12:34 PM

I've never felt bad after playing a long time but I do get short tempered. Im sure you do too.
"GET TA F*** OUT MOM YOURE GETTING ME KILLED HERE!!"

#17 Frosty

Frosty
  • 1521 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 12:59 PM

I've never felt bad after playing a long time but I do get short tempered. Im sure you do too.
"GET TA F*** OUT MOM YOURE GETTING ME KILLED HERE!!"

View Post

YES! My mum like brought meals up to me and I told her she were making me lose :p . She left the meal in my room but it just went cold and stuff :p

Lol, what's worst is when you're about to kill a raid boss, and you've got Jehova's witnesses at the door. To avoid small-talk, or any talk at all, answer the door naked.

View Post

ROFL! We dont get much jehova-witness, but it'll be hella funny to try that xD!

#18 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2005 - 01:07 PM

Half of that article is bullshit. If you believe half of the shit on the internet then, you're gulliable.

#19 Frosty

Frosty
  • 1521 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 01:58 PM

I've heard the article is fake anyway :p .

#20 Anonehmoose

Anonehmoose
  • 719 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 02:23 PM

Played a game for 12 hours straight with no water or breaks.

Retarded geek.

Edited by Anon, 23 June 2005 - 02:24 PM.

#21 Redblade

Redblade
  • 1459 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 04:16 PM

cool..12 hours.. my parents would never allow me to play so much anyway.. poor boy :(

#22 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2005 - 04:30 PM

Does playing games really eat away at your brain?

#23 Hater_Boxden

Hater_Boxden
  • 1156 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 05:14 PM

this topic scares me because I play alot of video games and am part russian

#24 Alex

Alex
  • 6640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2005 - 05:17 PM

A lot of playing probably does something to your brain. Dont think you can kill yourself though.

I've played a lot in my life( the amount youre thinking x 5), And I seem to be fine. Just my grades are a bit effected when I'm into  a game a lot, because I tend to just go play instead of studying.

PS: I am russian  :o

#25 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2005 - 05:17 PM

Videogames can icrease your reaction speed, and other things, but playing for twelve hours ins't healthy. It mentally exhausts you, and can maek you quite short tempered I imagine.

However my friends and I are having a mario marathon :D . We are playing as many mario games through in a span of 24 hours, as we can. I imagine we will get too Mario 64, or Sunshine :lol:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users