• This topic is locked This topic is locked
226 replies to this topic

#151 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:11 AM

The people who are so quick to put fat people down need to realize that they're not doing anyone any favors. No one should be made to feel less than because of the way they look. Maybe if people took a more positive approach rather than "EW GO RUN FATASS" we'd see better results. Putting people down doesn't motivate them, it makes them lethargic. Someone with a positive body image is more likely to take care of their bodies than someone with poor self image. Think of it this way. I love my cat, so when he gets sick I make sure he sees the vet, I feed him, and I keep him active. If I didn't give a shit about my cat I wouldn't care if he lived or died. I do believe the obesity problem in America is out of control, but I don't believe ostracizing fat people is the answer.

#152 Lucian

Lucian
  • 875 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:12 AM

You have to realize that the topic is titled "fat people". Fat people aren't just people who are 800 lbs and can't get out of bed. The people who are 800 lbs or more make up about 1% of the population of fat people.

I see where you are coming from, but even then you must realize that there are fat people who frequent this forum, and to insult them based on their physical trait of being fat is prejudice.

It really depends on your perception of "fat".

#153 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:52 AM

If you're vain enough that you make me feel sick, you're practically dead already.

I'm so sorry that modern media has you hypnotized into thinking everyone has to be thin like yourself. It's people like YOU that prove that the human race is at it's peak and won't ever better itself culturally.

I think the way you're reading my comments says a lot more about your attitude than it does mine.

#154 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:59 AM

Public services? Hmm, I haven't been to the hospital since I was 12. Try again.

You're most likely to get fat if I'm your friend? I guess you can't take care of yourself and have no will power of your own. Try again.

Sure, share your opinions of fat people here... knock yourself out. Just know that it makes you no different than the KKK, the Nazi's, etc. They disliked people because of physical traits. Bunch of nazi's in this forum. :facepalm:

Plural "we" good sir. Obesity is one of the leading causes of...death. Which puts a strain on public services.

And the Nazi's didn't track down lazy fatties like you, they chased after actual human beings.

#155 myob12345

myob12345
  • 49 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:18 AM

diabetes? ham?

i didn't read the first post, is this supposed to be a word association game .

#156 Thrive

Thrive
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:44 PM

The business of death is not a "service". Funeral homes get paid, the people who make caskets get paid, flower parlours get paid... It's a cycle.

#157 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:55 PM

The people who are so quick to put fat people down need to realize that they're not doing anyone any favors. No one should be made to feel less than because of the way they look. Maybe if people took a more positive approach rather than "EW GO RUN FATASS" we'd see better results. Putting people down doesn't motivate them, it makes them lethargic. Someone with a positive body image is more likely to take care of their bodies than someone with poor self image. Think of it this way. I love my cat, so when he gets sick I make sure he sees the vet, I feed him, and I keep him active. If I didn't give a shit about my cat I wouldn't care if he lived or died. I do believe the obesity problem in America is out of control, but I don't believe ostracizing fat people is the answer.

How is there any positive way of saying 'you are overweight and unhealthy, you should lose weight'? I understand the ew go run fatass thing, but if they don't listen to the 'negative' or brutally honest comments people make, why would they listen to a candy coated version?
When it comes to their health it's ultimately their decision and they can't blame other people for making them unhealthy. :/
Aside from that, this topic is mainly directed towards people who KNOW they are unhealthy and are educated on how to get healthy yet chose not to.
(this post is for UNHEALTHY overweight people.)

#158 Lucian

Lucian
  • 875 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:12 PM

This thread should be renamed to "Deadly Overweight Individuals" if people are really getting butthurt.

#159 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:41 PM

This thread should be renamed to "Deadly Overweight Individuals" if people are really getting butthurt.

Fuck that noise. The same people who cry about the prejudice fat people face probably sit around talking about how disgusting very skinny people are. All people are disgusting. The only difference is some people have to use the Gopher Pick-Up and Reaching tool to wipe their asses .

#160 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:56 PM

I have a low metabolism, and it sucks.

My older brother eats worse food than I do, and eats twice as much as me, and he is as skinny as can be. We can't help it.

There are some procedures that can be done, and probably should be done to those whose lives are in risk due to their weight, but it really shouldn't matter that we are larger than yourselves, if we "disgust you" with how we look, you really need to get some help with your shallowness.

And this is why I'm starting to be for the privatization of health care

It's called responsibility. How about instead of blaming bad genetics and saying you don't want a procedure you just eat well (not 'better' than your brother but actually well) and try exercising

It used to be, be pro-health care so a factory worker pulling in 12 hour shifts at shit pay doesn't have to worry about what happens if he loses a finger or gets a back injury and can't work. Now it's be pro-health care so 90% of what you get taxed goes to fat people who won't take responsibility for their condition (is condition not a sensitive enough word?)

I think the solution is to maintain health care but instead have more physical education/activity during elementary/high school to start a healthy precedent and fund that by taxing fast food/junk food but I don't really see that happening. I'd say teaching this to kids is far more important/relevant than most of what is taught by primary/secondary schools

Politically correct liberals won't address the problems brought on by fat people (or do it in a roundabout way and have 0 results) and conservatives just want to eliminate healthcare all together. Given those 2 options I'm starting to lean towards the second option. Yay for becoming bitter

#161 Lucian

Lucian
  • 875 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:59 PM

Fuck that noise. The same people who cry about the prejudice fat people face probably sit around talking about how disgusting very skinny people are. All people are disgusting. The only difference is some people have to use the Gopher Pick-Up and Reaching tool to wipe their asses .

Also more likely to have a number of health problems.

#162 Thrive

Thrive
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:05 PM

I live in Canada, by the way.

Also, I eat pretty damn good for a starving student. Rice, veggies, and chicken consists of 90% of my intake. I play ball-hockey twice a week, and even though I'm 260 lbs, I haven't lost anything yet.

Due to my metabolism I wouldn't be able to lose weight unless I was to eat celery non-stop, take vitamins as dessert, and run for a few hours every day. I'm sorry, but I don't have that luxury. Some people have slower metabolisms than yourselves.

I agree the grossly obese people should probably seek desperate help, but that's what freedom is all about. They are free to do as they please, and no amount of whining and bitching is going to change that. I'm not in "medical danger" considering I live a pretty rounded lifestyle, so what's wrong with me being fat?

#163 Lucian

Lucian
  • 875 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:08 PM

It's not as much as what you eat but how much of it. Playing ball hockey twice a week won't really do anything for you. You're going to have to immerse yourself in daily exercise if you want to lose wieght

#164 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:17 PM

Also, I eat pretty damn good for a starving student. Rice, veggies, and chicken consists of 90% of my intake. I play ball-hockey twice a week, and even though I'm 260 lbs, I haven't lost anything yet.

Due to my metabolism I wouldn't be able to lose weight unless I was to eat celery non-stop, take vitamins as dessert, and run for a few hours every day. I'm sorry, but I don't have that luxury. Some people have slower metabolisms than yourselves.

It is as simple as calories in vs calories out. If that's all you ate (in reasonable proportions) it'd be impossible for you to be overweight. Unless you ate like a pound of rice per meal. Somehow I doubt that's all you eat

I agree the grossly obese people should probably seek desperate help, but that's what freedom is all about. They are free to do as they please, and no amount of whining and bitching is going to change that. I'm not in "medical danger" considering I live a pretty rounded lifestyle, so what's wrong with me being fat?

I loled at 'grossly obese people

#165 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:31 PM

It is as simple as calories in vs calories out. If that's all you ate (in reasonable proportions) it'd be impossible for you to be overweight. Unless you ate like a pound of rice per meal. Somehow I doubt that's all you eat

I loled at 'grossly obese people

I dunno, it's pretty easy to get obese off rice :p it's a lot of empty calories and it's easy to go overboard.

#166 Thrive

Thrive
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:34 PM

That's the thing... I eat rice, veggies, and chicken breast for almost each meal. If that was anyone else eating that they would surely lose weight, but not me. It doesn't matter anyways, because I'm not the lone debate. I'm just saying that sometimes it isn't our faults. Myself and you could of been equally weighted at 140 lbs at the age of 15, and we could eat identically for the next 5 years and you could be at a healthy weight and I could be overweight. Science isn't as black and white and "calories in vs. calories out", there are other major factors to take into consideration. I probably eat just as well as you guys, I played sports all through high school (and still walk regularly, play ball hockey, etc).

Some people need to work out like a body-builder for their entire lives to be skinny, some people don't need to do jack-shit to stay skinny. That's just how it is.

#167 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:42 PM

there are other major factors to take into consideration

Like apparently your body's ability to magically produce fat

#168 Lucian

Lucian
  • 875 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:48 PM

That's the thing... I eat rice, veggies, and chicken breast for almost each meal. If that was anyone else eating that they would surely lose weight, but not me. It doesn't matter anyways, because I'm not the lone debate. I'm just saying that sometimes it isn't our faults. Myself and you could of been equally weighted at 140 lbs at the age of 15, and we could eat identically for the next 5 years and you could be at a healthy weight and I could be overweight. Science isn't as black and white and "calories in vs. calories out", there are other major factors to take into consideration. I probably eat just as well as you guys, I played sports all through high school (and still walk regularly, play ball hockey, etc).

Some people need to work out like a body-builder for their entire lives to be skinny, some people don't need to do jack-shit to stay skinny. That's just how it is.

But what we're telling you is what you're doing not is not making you any skinnier.

#169 Thrive

Thrive
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:48 PM

Or my bodies inability to burn it, instead simply storing it?

My brother's body has the magical ability to burn everything he eats, which is usually 2 fast food meals a day.

#170 Lucian

Lucian
  • 875 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:03 PM

Just cause you have some inabilities doesn't give you the right to stay fat.

#171 Thrive

Thrive
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:11 PM

I'm as healthy as you are, I'm just simply more huggable and squishy. If you've got a problem with that, then you've got some sort of superiority complex.

#172 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:17 PM

Or my bodies inability to burn it, instead simply storing it?

You burn calories when you exercise. If you're saying you can exercise without consuming energy then you're either a liar or a human perpetual motion device that defies the laws of physics. In which case run across Canada without eating anything, 1 up Terry Fox and raise awareness for the plight of fat people

#173 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:38 PM

You burn calories when you exercise. If you're saying you can exercise without consuming energy then you're either a liar or a human perpetual motion device that defies the laws of physics. In which case run across Canada without eating anything, 1 up Terry Fox and raise awareness for the plight of fat people

people assume that that eating normal will make you lose weight. You DO have to exercise... eating a 50 calorie deficient for a month only burns 1500 calories, which isn't half a pound. And yet it's so easy to go 1500 calories over in a single day at a party or something. And without exercising one's metabolism won't get any higher, so they just think "I've been eating well and I'm still gaining weight! MY METABOLISM IS SHIT *cry*"

>_<

#174 Thrive

Thrive
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:45 PM

So tell me this... Why can you believe that someone's HIGH metabolism can keep them very skinny although they eat plenty of bad things (and a lot of it) and don't exercise, yet you can't possibly fathom the thought that an equally LOW metabolism can cause someone who eats normally and exercises normally to be overweight because of the low metabolism?

#175 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:51 PM

So tell me this... Why can you believe that someone's HIGH metabolism can keep them very skinny although they eat plenty of bad things (and a lot of it) and don't exercise, yet you can't possibly fathom the thought that an equally LOW metabolism can cause someone who eats normally and exercises normally to be overweight because of the low metabolism?

Because one is getting rid of excess energy whereas the other is creating energy. One violates our understanding of the universe the other doesn't?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users