Photo

Fully Public Programs

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 Shadow

Shadow
  • 263 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 06:38 PM

That way people who dont want to release programs with Codex check can release.
I want to release some of mine.. but dont really want to implement the Codex Check due to not being a programmer here.

#2 Gargar

Gargar
  • 4901 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 06:48 PM

You dont need to be a programer to put the checks on 0_o

#3 Shadow

Shadow
  • 263 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 06:51 PM

I know that.. I am a programmer. -.-
So once installed it checks for all programs that are in the list?

#4 Guest_Xth Cannon_*

Guest_Xth Cannon_*

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:50 PM

It takes two seconds to apply the codex checks to your program.

#5 Mumei

Mumei
  • 3545 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:16 PM

The codex check is a tool to help the programmers here

it is constantly being enhanced to provide things the programmers are wanting

currently it allows the programmers to make sure only codexians use their programs

it collects data the programmer has setup on the codex website - so a program can accept dynamic data, and the programmer can update this data centrally and have it distrabuted automatically

it allows the programmers to send user specific data, so you can set-up different permissions based on your codexian rank (or by userID if you wish)

it will pass a userdefined Live Version field from codex, so you can implement version checking with ease in your programs, and request users update if you want them to

There are many reasons we insist that the codex check is included in all programs here but the most important is:
if a program is found to be infected with maleware, or if for some reason we feel it would be dangerous for a program to be used (like if neopets would insti-freeze you) we have the ability to instantly stop it being started.

another one is to proove that you have compiled the program, there are some forums that allow people to post programs people have 'found' we insist here that it's your own work you are submitting

#6 shabba

shabba

Posted 04 January 2006 - 11:55 AM

Why would we want it to be completely public. Why let leechers thrive?
I like the codex check. Im sure you will come around to them.

#7 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2006 - 12:04 PM

The codex check is a tool to help the programmers here

Yeppers, it has amazing things like disabling the program for sure, logs, to see who all is using it, and how they are using, make sure they are not abusing it, among my fvaorite lol then the programming functions like extra security to prevent it from being defaced, to crazy functions you can use in the program, and super dynamic vars, you'll see what I mean when you start using the checks :p (you can update vars via your program page on codex live :) )

Why would we want it to be completely public. Why let leechers thrive?
I like the codex check. Im sure you will come around to them.

shabba makes good points. Doing no checks would let them thrive, and get your program methods disabled. I love the codex checks as well for the amazing features it offers. Once you start using them you'll love it :)

The first time adding it to your program may take 5 minutes but after that, with your first setup as an example, literally just 2 seconds.

Try it out :) We used to let people slide but we stopped that long ago as it was very stupid of us.

#8 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2006 - 12:33 PM

It's mandatory to have checks on every program here (for security as well as tracking purposes), and we have no intention of changing that bylaw. It doesn't take very long to add the checks. :p

#9 Masterchocolate

Masterchocolate
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 12:43 PM

It's mandatory to have checks on every program here (for security as well as tracking purposes), and we have no intention of changing that bylaw. It doesn't take very long to add the checks. :p

I knew it! The government is keeping tabs on us all.... RUN FOR YOUR LIVESSSSSSSS Posted Image

#10 Shadow

Shadow
  • 263 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 02:20 PM

Yeah, Even though I submitted my program already I guess.. I need to add it.

Edit: I cant even read the readme.
I dont have wordpad.. =/

Edited by Jioxer, 04 January 2006 - 02:25 PM.

#11 Icey Defeat

Icey Defeat
  • 8298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2006 - 02:28 PM

Yeah, Even though I submitted my program already I guess.. I need to add it.

Edit: I cant even read the readme.
I dont have wordpad.. =/

It's Microsoft Word I think

#12 Guest_Xth Cannon_*

Guest_Xth Cannon_*

Posted 04 January 2006 - 03:31 PM

Or you should be able to open it up in any text editor I believe?

#13 Shadow

Shadow
  • 263 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 06:45 PM

No you cant in Notepad.
Well you can but.. its in the microsoft word format or whatever. :(

All I need is the code for the check.
I knew how to do the rest.

#14 Eggy

Eggy
  • Banned from trading - Do not trade with this user.

• 1783 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2006 - 07:58 PM

tsk tsk... always with the leecher banging... a "leecher" is just a member with potential. Sure some might dl programs and leave, but a bunch will stick arround. Those guys become active and helpful. I was once a "leecher"

#15 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 January 2006 - 04:12 AM

tsk tsk... always with the leecher banging... a "leecher" is just a member with potential. Sure some might dl programs and leave, but a bunch will stick arround. Those guys become active and helpful. I was once a "leecher"

You still are :p :funone:

#16 maxamillion

maxamillion
  • 115 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 04:38 AM

Or you should be able to open it up in any text editor I believe?

The readme is in rich text format, you will have to use word, word pad or an editor that supports rtf. I did not like the checks at first, thought it was a waste of time but using the features to disable the program if you no longer want it to be usable and being able to update instantly are great features and are why I decided to use them.

#17 Shadow

Shadow
  • 263 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 03:12 PM

Yeah Im aware of that.
I may just quit programming anyway.
Its not really benefitting me and everytime I start a project someone ends up making it and does it better than I ever could.

#18 cokiwah

cokiwah
  • 1655 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 05:20 PM

I was once a "leecher"

you still are ^-^

and so am I, and so is everyone who downloaded music off a file sharing program (unless you don't lol) - but mine is legal ^-^

#19 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2006 - 02:21 AM

Well true, we would like to prevent the programs from getting abused and disabled. You can still be on codex and make few posts and use the programs, so I guess you can still be a leech, I don't like calling people that but there are some here, I don't know any of them as they all just made like 2 posts to get to the programs, hopefully we can see some of them coming out of their shell :)

But important thing is not to get them abused and disabled, that way our active and contributing members dont' get to enjoy the program as it was disabled due them << this is a real pisser lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users