Quantcast

Photo

Should Scientists Be Able To 'duplicate' People?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#26 RandomNameIgnoreIt

RandomNameIgnoreIt
  • 1828 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 February 2006 - 10:28 PM

Should scientists? No.

Should I? Yes.

...And what I would do with the clones is none of your concern >_>

#27 ink

ink
  • 2189 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 10:36 PM

Only God himself will ever be able to make a human. People can't make an eye, or a lung, or even a heart. It won't happen and people who do it are idiots who are against God and will most likely go to hell. Which I do indeed, hope they do.

Eh, sorry but we have been able to make reconstructive tissue and have been able to make simple chambered hearts. Stem cells.
Made from the human. Made for the human. Helps the human. It is all in your nose :p

We are able to edit the female egg and fertalize it with a male sperm. Forming a zygote. Then through controlled meosis make sure that chromosomes are not lost.

Expensive? Yes
Ethical? Probably not

In other words, if scientists were so evil, then why would God allow them to figure out ways to use a human's own body to repair damaged nurves?

#28 Curse

Curse
  • 1143 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 12:42 AM

Eh, sorry but we have been able to make reconstructive tissue and have been able to make simple chambered hearts. Stem cells.
Made from the human. Made for the human. Helps the human. It is all in your nose :p

We are able to edit the female egg and fertalize it with a male sperm. Forming a zygote. Then through controlled meosis make sure that chromosomes are not lost.

Expensive? Yes
Ethical? Probably not

In other words, if scientists were so evil, then why would God allow them to figure out ways to use a human's own body to repair damaged nurves?

I mean't like an eye or a Brain. It's impossible.

Well, I think we SHOULD be making cloned blood and organs, for transplants, and it would have to be taken from MANY sources to help prevent disease outbreak.

Donating is easier and more efficient. :p

#29 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 February 2006 - 04:55 AM

We can grow nerve cells from scratch. It will not be long before we can construct a whol heart. Eye's will undoubtedly follow on from there.

It's the future. It is going to happen, and I for one, cannot wait to get a new pair of eyes...

#30 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 February 2006 - 05:09 AM

You first.

#31 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 February 2006 - 08:10 AM

You first.

Owned.

#32 ink

ink
  • 2189 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 08:14 AM

Not really. See because the human's body will reject the donated organ within a matter of months or a few years. They will then need a new organ. So efficient, no. Easier, yes.

#33 Christopher Robin

Christopher Robin
  • 5302 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 February 2006 - 08:19 AM

they can dupe me... but it may result in world domination :wub: I love world domination... yeah they'd have souls, wait... nvm, I was thinking of things that DO exist... itd be pretty pimp to know ME!\

EDIT: bodies don't always reject donated organs O_o

Edited by trixx, 19 February 2006 - 08:20 AM.

#34 Sakura

Sakura
  • 2180 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 09:39 AM

Not at all, people die every day because a donator wasn't found in time while they're waiting on a list. We could clone the "donation" and give it to each of those matches, saving lives. The donation process is not at all efficent as most of the time we have to wait on someone healthy to die.

#35 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 February 2006 - 09:49 AM

It doesn't make sense to you because you don't believe in Him obviously. I'm not going to waste my time with you at all, because obviously you WONT believe in him, and neither will you TRY to. So, yes technically it does make sense, your just to blind to see it.

See, God can see the world from beggining an end. I think, when he created the world, he already saw this event, and like other things, changed or created some things that would prevent it from happening. There is a reason why we can't goto the sun, nor travel to Pluto.

I'm sorry, but did you just use the fact that the sun is hot, as evidence for the existence of a creator?

#36 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 February 2006 - 10:02 AM

It doesn't make sense to you because you don't believe in Him obviously. I'm not going to waste my time with you at all, because obviously you WONT believe in him, and neither will you TRY to. So, yes technically it does make sense, your just to blind to see it.

See, God can see the world from beggining an end. I think, when he created the world, he already saw this event, and like other things, changed or created some things that would prevent it from happening. There is a reason why we can't goto the sun, nor travel to Pluto.

Who said I didn't believe in god!?
I pray to him every night. I do believe there is some god.
I just don't think he created us.
I think that he should let us live our world how we please , give us freedom of will.
How will we advance in humanity if god is allways there to correct us and stop us?
It just doesn't make sense that he would be in anyway 'offended' by dupicating humans. If god can only give life , then when a mother/women gives birth , she is not creating it?

#37 Sakura

Sakura
  • 2180 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 10:05 AM

Who said I didn't believe in god!?
I pray to him every night. I do believe there is some god.
I just don't think he created us.
I think that he should let us live our world how we please , give us freedom of will.
How will we advance in humanity if god is allways there to correct us and stop us?
It just doesn't make sense that he would be in anyway 'offended' by dupicating humans. If god can only give life , then when a mother/women gives birth , she is not creating it?

You want free will, but you cry and complain when God doesn't stop bad things from happening. You need to make up your mind, you can't have it both ways. And essentially, yes a mother gives birth, but she cannot decide if that sperm will connect with the egg, she cannot decide that she doesn't want a miscarriage to happen. God decides that part, the mother is a vessel for the new life, we didn't create it.

#38 ink

ink
  • 2189 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 10:08 AM

EDIT: bodies don't always reject donated organs O_o

Actually, they always do. Just at different rates.
Sometimes it can last beyond their other organs, but in the end it will be rejected.

And essentially, yes a mother gives birth, but she cannot decide if that sperm will connect with the egg, she cannot decide that she doesn't want a miscarriage to happen. God decides that part, the mother is a vessel for the new life, we didn't create it.

Artificial insemination much?
We can provide ways to avoid miscarriages.

#39 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 February 2006 - 10:10 AM

You want free will, but you cry and complain when God doesn't stop bad things from happening. You need to make up your mind, you can't have it both ways. And essentially, yes a mother gives birth, but she cannot decide if that sperm will connect with the egg, she cannot decide that she doesn't want a miscarriage to happen. God decides that part, the mother is a vessel for the new life, we didn't create it.

Erm , I believe I just replied to this is another thread ...
A Christian said that god will come down and prevent the making of a new human by humans.
Iam using it as an example.I think we all have free will.We make our life.We affect other peoples lives with our choices.God doesn't come down and tell us how to live them to his likings.

#40 Sakura

Sakura
  • 2180 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 10:31 AM

Artificial insemination much?
We can provide ways to avoid miscarriages.

Yes, and God gave us those abilities. Neither of those are 100% effective anyways.

Besides that, I'm more worried about the human race and the clones themselves than I am about God in this case. With identical people disease would spread too swiftly and we would begin to die out. Also, what more would the clones be for than to harvest and enslave? We can hardly make the laws to protect us, better yet introducing a race of "sub-humans". Which we cannot lie, that's what they would be, there is no other reason to create them.

#41 ink

ink
  • 2189 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 11:20 AM

Yes, and God gave us those abilities. Neither of those are 100% effective anyways.

Besides that, I'm more worried about the human race and the clones themselves than I am about God in this case. With identical people disease would spread too swiftly and we would begin to die out. Also, what more would the clones be for than to harvest and enslave? We can hardly make the laws to protect us, better yet introducing a race of "sub-humans". Which we cannot lie, that's what they would be, there is no other reason to create them.

No, we learned these abilities. We did research and discovered them.
They are 99% effective.

#42 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 February 2006 - 03:03 PM

You don't believe in my God. We have two complete different concepts here, you say your "god" didn't create the earth, whereas mine did.

Oh , Christs Sakes.
Where on earth did you get the idea I don't believe in god!?
I never said it.I never implied it.You're histaricle.
I just said in my last post:
I believe in god , I never didnt and don't plan on not to. <_<
I'm not debating on wether or not I believe on god , I'm debating on what god did and did not do.
I believe in one of the two that you do.I don't believe Jesus is god.
I believe there is one god. THE god.The ONLY god.
This isn't a matter of not believing in god , it's a matter of what god did and did not do. <_<

#43 amyjia

amyjia
  • 854 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 04:38 PM

duplicating people?? the world is over populated as it is isn't it? will the people they are duplicating have souls? do original people have souls?? why are we here? do we have a right to create life in this way? so many questions.. It is really corssing a line doing something like that.. the REAL question is, are people prepared for the possible consequences..

#44 Darkness

Darkness
  • 1432 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 05:49 PM

Duplication. I don't care, doesn't go against my values, so as far as I'm concerned, go ahead if you want. I could care less, unless the make another tyrant, dictator, George Bush, ect.

#45 Krnsaber

Krnsaber
  • 3583 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 06:40 PM

Umm.. You don't have to get all angry, considering your anger is over nothing. Look again:

You don't believe in MY God

It's just like any other religion, mormons Jesus is completely different then Christians Jesus.

Okay?

Alias youre getting off topic but to Broken, Alias is 100% correct.
I believe in the same thing Alias does and although its a minor difference, it turns into a big one. Our Gods are different.

Back on topic, I dont really believe in duplicating people...
Its just weird with someone thats the same as you running around.
If duplicating for a reason because you want to hang onto a person, I feel like at some point, youve got to let go.
And if someone said use the duplication for organs, thats kind of a twisted thought in a sense isnt it?

#46 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 February 2006 - 08:45 PM

Okay... none of you are looking at this from an actual biological standpoint especially those who think we should start doing this right now... Let's put all Christian morals aside in my statement shall we?

If you cloned a 60 year old man right now the clone would only live as long as that man would live assuming that he would die of old age. Why? DNA ages. Each time a cell goes through protein production parts of DNA are actually cut off. The DNA ages in a sense. So the DNA in the baby would actually be 60 years old. This is why anti-oxidants are needed so much. An aged protein that needs to be destroyed and created again is an oxidized protein. With anti-oxidants you can actually help the aging process go slower. Not completely of course but you will be healthier. To start cloning regular people would be horrific. Those clones would most likely depending on the age of the original would live on average 40 years.

Evidence on this: The case of Dolly. Dolly died at the early age of 6 when she could have easily lived to 12 or 14 as normal sheep do. Why? Because her mother was around the age of 6 when donating the DNA. Therefore Dolly had 6 year old DNA when she was born. Dolly died of a resperatory infection because her DNA was getting very old and her immune system could no longer cope. She was the same as a 12 year old sheep in a sense.

Why would you clone a famous human such as Elvis or someone like that only to discover that he will only live 40 years? Maybe even less! Plus the cost issues. It's extremely expensive. They tried over 1000 times to get the egg to actually start to grow into an embryo. It may be even more with a human. Why would one spend that much time and money to have a human who will live an extremely short life. It just is not practical with our current technology.

Plus one is not even factoring in the psychological problems the cloned person could possibly face knowing that they will die early and they could possibly be discriminated against for being a clone. It just does not seem like a very good way to be spending our money right now. It's just completely impractical. I cannot even see why we would want to clone humans to be honest :\ I can't come up with any really good reasons...

So my answer is absolutely not. Unless we can find a way to make those cells reproduce telemorase... which is highly unlikely with our currently technology... we shouldn't even be thinking about it.

#47 Cam

Cam
  • 1690 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 05:11 AM

Like Kamal said, people go to hell or somthing, I dont believe in the whole Devil/demon what ever and hell and you go to hell or heaven or somthing.

I believe there is a god yeah who the hell made earth and stuff.

But I beleive when you die you just turn off? Thats my view.

#48 Warlord

Warlord
  • 3988 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 02:16 PM

a clone for purposes of spare parts would be awesome

#49 hunkychunkgoat

hunkychunkgoat
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 02:19 PM

it will happen. im a christian but they have alredy cloned other animals. they probly wouldnt clone humans with minds. just a human that u can use its body parts for transplants. its no inhumane bc they dont have any thought or feeling

#50 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 February 2006 - 03:05 PM

it will happen. im a christian but they have alredy cloned other animals. they probly wouldnt clone humans with minds. just a human that u can use its body parts for transplants. its no inhumane bc they dont have any thought or feeling

How could they possibly NOT clone a human with a mind? Ayiyi... Dolly had a mind. She had a frontal lobe. Why would a human clone not have one? The clone would be just like the original... it would have a mind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users