Quantcast

Photo

Seal Hunt

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Poll: Clubbing

Clubbing of Seals?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 April 2006 - 03:30 PM

Hunting is horrible. Why hunt?
You hunt to eat, for food. Not to have a pretty new carpet, damit!

-But his wife is still a bitch. ^_^

#27 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:42 PM

*stomps on a seal, then gives pyke a high five*

Pyke basically said it all. Plus, they're our seals, so piss off. We don't come and hunt your animals, don't come and save ours.

I'm going to butcher all the Canadians in our country then, they're our Canadians, so piss off.

And I bet Paul McCartney won't try and save these endangered animals ;)

#28 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 April 2006 - 03:56 AM

I agree completely with Frizzle for this... I could very well be extreme, I don't know... but if the animals are not being eaten but wasted then why the hell are you killing them in the first place? I'm sure some people eat it but for the hundreds of thousands... they're being wasted. Don't wear fur... there's plenty of synthetics you can choose from ^_^

Easy for you to say, however I am pretty sure that at least 95% of the 4000 or so seal hunters can't make synthetics and sell them off to feed their children. The people that hunt seals do it because they don't get enough money to live through the winter from fishing.

Also friz, they aren't your canadians :lol: . Plus were not stupid enough to simply get clubbed to death if your going to use that comparison. xD

#29 RandomNameIgnoreIt

RandomNameIgnoreIt
  • 1828 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 April 2006 - 04:05 AM

Also friz, they aren't your canadians :lol: . Plus were not stupid enough to simply get clubbed to death if your going to use that comparison. xD

No, you can avoid the clubbing... but...

*puts up a cardboard box propped up by a stick with a rope attached to it, places a hockey puck under the box, and runs with the rope around the corner and lies in wait*

mwahahahaha that precious canadian pelt shall be mine!

Edited by BrknPhoenix, 04 April 2006 - 04:05 AM.

#30 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 April 2006 - 04:10 AM

No, you can avoid the clubbing... but...

*puts up a cardboard box propped up by a stick with a rope attached to it, places a hockey puck under the box, and runs with the rope around the corner and lies in wait*

mwahahahaha that precious canadian pelt shall be mine!

Take note that we are put into a wild rage if you trick us with a cardboard box. Approach your trapped canadian with caution.

#31 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 April 2006 - 05:00 AM

Plus were not stupid enough to simply get clubbed to death if your going to use that comparison. xD

Woah woah woah, let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

#32 Kimoflea

Kimoflea
  • 5359 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 April 2006 - 07:18 AM

Put simply guys, clubbing animals to death for fur is what neanderthals did. If all Canadians are happy to step back a few thousand years in evolution, then let them. I'm quite happy with my non-fur (but still nice and toasty) ski jacket..

#33 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:34 AM

I wouldn't club canadians. I'd just spread a virus. When theyre all infected, I'll trade a cure for slavery.

#34 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 April 2006 - 11:28 AM

Woah woah woah, let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Fine, SOME of us are smarter then that. :p

Put simply guys, clubbing animals to death for fur is what neanderthals did. If all Canadians are happy to step back a few thousand years in evolution, then let them. I'm quite happy with my non-fur (but still nice and toasty) ski jacket..

Yep, enforce rules on it. Im pro doing what you need to feed your kids (for some of the paticularily poor fishermen, selling seal skins is their option), but against clubbing things to death (unless they really deserve it xD). Cap what they can kill, how they can kill it and enforce these rules. Don't let 4000 fishermen/seal hunters and their families (probably loads of kids because these people aren't very bright) and don't make a huge issue out of seals just because they are cute.

For humour purposes here is what Denis Leary has to say on the subject...

Because not eating meat is a decision. Eating meat is an instinct! Yeah! And I know what it's about. "I don't want to eat the meat because I love the animals. I love the animals." Hey, I love the animals too. I love my doggy. He's so cute. My fluffy little dog.. He's so cute- There's the problem. We only want to save the cute animals, don't we? Yeah. Why don't we just have animal auditions. Line 'em up one by one and interview them individually. "What are you?" "I'm an otter." "And what do you do?" "I swim around on my back and do cute little human things with my hands." "You're free to go." "And what are you?" "I'm a cow." "Get in the *removed* truck, ok pal!" "But I'm an animal." "You're a baseball glove! Get on that truck!"

#35 Christopher Robin

Christopher Robin
  • 5302 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 April 2006 - 11:55 AM

Mk, everyone, hunting the seals is a HUGE part of NFLD economy. AND we DO, infact use the meat. we EAT SEAL, contrary to popular belief. and EVERYONE! we dont club any more god damnit! Pyke, you hit the nail on the head.

Frizzle, the FIRST sentence i read on that page was a lie.

http://www.hsus.org/...hunt/index.html

says that the targeted ones are < 3 months. LIE, as Danny Williams previously stated.

Also, we SHOOT. that site NEEDS to get its facts straight.

and people, some people feed their families. like pike said, theyre cute, that they are indeed. BUT. if we leave them, theyll eat all the cod, which lowers the economy even MORE!

Frizzle Says:

Ahh but those animals are BRED for food, if we didn't kill them and eat them, there would be a over population of those animals. I don't mind animals being killed for food, as long as it's in a humane way. I don't agree with animals being locked and treated badly, that's why I always get free-range or organic food if possible.

Veal I think is sickening, as it taste horrible. But I have no problem in people eating them for food. Fur is a luxury and isn't needed, I think anyone who wears fur should be shot, and I offer to wear their skin for a day. Blood, intestine and all wink.gif

Trixx Says:

Utter bullshit. we eat them. seals ARE over populated.

We eat the seal flippers... thats about it, because they are MOSTLY FAT! we use the fat to make pills, for peoples health.

mk. list.

We DO in fact eat the flippers.

The body is mostly fat, so we use that to make pills.

We SHOOT, not club.

Read above post 3 times if your going to say clubbing is cruel and we only use the fur.

#36 danupsher

danupsher
  • 312 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 12:43 PM

Posted Image

could you kill that?

Edited by danupsher, 04 April 2006 - 12:44 PM.

#37 Christopher Robin

Christopher Robin
  • 5302 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 April 2006 - 12:49 PM

actually... yes.

but, with a gun... and id *probably* go for an older one...

Edited by trixx, 04 April 2006 - 12:50 PM.

#38 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 April 2006 - 02:46 PM

If it meant to feed my family, sure!

#39 Christopher Robin

Christopher Robin
  • 5302 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 April 2006 - 03:05 PM

^ what Pyke said ^

if its for a decent cause, why not? i'd shoot it... in teh head. BOOM HEAD SHOT MA F**KA! xD

#40 Guest_Casilla_*

Guest_Casilla_*

Posted 04 April 2006 - 08:36 PM

When humans eliminate the natural predators in a ecosystem - in this case, we've killed off whales and driven away land-based predators - that would otherwise keep the population of seals in line, we must rectify this error by ourselves.

Forget even the fishing industry, much more havock would be wrecked by letting the seals become overpopulated. The ecosystem would suffer, people would suffer, and in the long run, so would the seals, heh.

It's like in the Midwest, where deer hunting is big. Sure, SOME people use the meat, but not really. However, you absolutely must kill the deer or else they overpopulate. There are no longer any natural predators in the Midwest to keep them in check; that's our fault, we must rectify the problem.

Deer are a natural part of the forest, a community that supplies them with food and cover. Deer populations within the carrying capacity of the range cause no serious damage. Overpopulation of deer, however, can eliminate understory vegetation, including reproduction of desired timber species. If overpopulation continues for several years, deer will eventually eat almost all the vegetation within their reach, and the woods will have a "browse line" or park-like appearance. This is accompanied or followed by disease and starvation in the deer herd until the herd size matches the reduced carrying capacity. When such deer die-offs occur, then the deer, forest, woodland owner, and deer hunter lose.

Etc.

Now, clubbing the baby seals probably isn't that good of a solution. I do not understand why they don't use darts or something like that - something that will not leave a large hole in the pelt, but will allow the hunters to kill off the seals without going to unneccessary lengths. However, that might be too expensive to do. <shrugs>

It sucks, but until an alternative solution can be reached, this is the best that they can do.

#41 Kimoflea

Kimoflea
  • 5359 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 April 2006 - 12:46 AM

When humans eliminate the natural predators in a ecosystem - in this case, we've killed off whales and driven away land-based predators - that would otherwise keep the population of seals in line, we must rectify this error by ourselves.

Forget even the fishing industry, much more havock would be wrecked by letting the seals become overpopulated. The ecosystem would suffer, people would suffer, and in the long run, so would the seals, heh.

It's like in the Midwest, where deer hunting is big. Sure, SOME people use the meat, but not really. However, you absolutely must kill the deer or else they overpopulate. There are no longer any natural predators in the Midwest to keep them in check; that's our fault, we must rectify the problem.
Etc.

Now, clubbing the baby seals probably isn't that good of a solution. I do not understand why they don't use darts or something like that - something that will not leave a large hole in the pelt, but will allow the hunters to kill off the seals without going to unneccessary lengths. However, that might be too expensive to do. <shrugs>

It sucks, but until an alternative solution can be reached, this is the best that they can do.

Whilst the 'overpopulation' excuse is valid- it is just an excuse! The hunters don't shoot a defenceless baby seal thinking 'I'm saving it from starving to death' they think 'That's another $100 in the bag'.
In any case, we can't take it upon ourselves to rectify what we've caused, because we'll just cause more damage. For example, when we've overfished certain species, we've added more and caused a huge disruption in the food chain. Cverpopulation to a lower population is a cycle that is a part of natural selection. We shouldn't be a factor in the natural selection of the animal because a club to the head isn't exactly natural.

Such barbarians we have here.

#42 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 April 2006 - 03:51 AM

Erm, retard read what it says. It does talk about shooting, infact I fail to see where it says anything about clubbing them to death.

But when they do shoot the seals, they do it from a moving boat/car etc and usually miss the seal, critically injuring it and leaving it do die or drown.

I think 6 billion people is a bit too much, let's go club the chinese, brazillians or indians to death because there are too many..

Oh wait..isn't that...a stupid idea?

#43 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 April 2006 - 04:12 AM

Erm, retard read what it says. It does talk about shooting, infact I fail to see where it says anything about clubbing them to death.

But when they do shoot the seals, they do it from a moving boat/car etc and usually miss the seal, critically injuring it and leaving it do die or drown.

I think 6 billion people is a bit too much, let's go club the chinese, brazillians or indians to death because there are too many..

Oh wait..isn't that...a stupid idea?

Yes, mainly because there isn't a point to killing people aside from lowering population. At least in seals, you can sell parts of it in order to make money to feed your family.

By killing seals, not only is profit being made, but it is also helping maintain the fish market. A seal is the exact same as any other animal we kill, but I don't see people (besides peta and other such extremist groups) making a big deal out of that.

And yes frizzle it says that clubbing is still a common method to kill the seals.

I think you folks need to take into heavy consideration what trixx said. He actually lives close enough to the spot, to hear a lot of information about it.

And to Kim: It is our duty to keep in check the problems that we cause.

#44 amyjia

amyjia
  • 854 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 06:35 AM

Yes, mainly because there isn't a point to killing people aside from lowering population. At least in seals, you can sell parts of it in order to make money to feed your family.

Umm.. actually you can sell human parts also. There are people who need transpants of different body parts (examples would be Kidenys, Heart, and liver just to name a few) and many of those people would pay a arm and a leg to get the parts they need to extend their lives.. so to speak. :p :whistling:

I think a rich man dying of Kidney failure would pay more for a Kidney then he would for seals. :shifty:

Edited by amyjia, 05 April 2006 - 04:13 PM.

#45 Christopher Robin

Christopher Robin
  • 5302 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 April 2006 - 12:01 PM

MOTHER CENSORED! READ MY POSTS! they state we do NOT club them GOD DAMNIT!

and Casilla, other than that, your pretty much right!

Frizz, no. your wrong. you DONT shoot them from a moving boat <_< most of the time, we're out on the ICE, with a gun.

by the way, In the Gulf of St. Lawrence, clubs and hakapiks are the killing implement of choice, and in the Front, guns are more widely used.

BAM in your face. and besides, animals are bred for slaughter, how does that affect how cruel their death is? it doesnt. and they dont even GET a chance to escape <_<

Yes. In 2001, a report by an independent team of veterinarians who studied the hunt concluded that governmental regulations regarding humane killing were neither being respected nor enforced, and that the seal hunt failed to comply with Canada's basic animal welfare standards. Shockingly, the veterinarians found that in 42% of the cases they studied, the seals had likely been skinned alive while conscious.

Parliamentarians, journalists, and scientists who observe Canada's commercial seal hunt each year continue to report unacceptable levels of cruelty, including sealers dragging conscious seals across the ice floes with boat hooks, shooting seals and leaving them to suffer in agony, stockpiling dead and dying animals, and even skinning seals alive.

countered:

there was another study, by an actual BUSINESS about animals, that says that the hunt ISNT cruel.

Edited by trixx, 05 April 2006 - 12:03 PM.

#46 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 April 2006 - 05:55 PM

Relax, no need to get upset or offended, a debate forum is meant for conflicting opinons. No need to be so riled up, when someone doesn't see eye to eye with ya. :p

#47 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 April 2006 - 06:01 PM

there was another study, by an actual BUSINESS about animals, that says that the hunt ISNT cruel.

If you could find that source and post it here It'd be nice. The problem is... you always gotta watch your sources. I would like to see what this business does.

#48 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 April 2006 - 06:58 PM

If you could find that source and post it here It'd be nice. The problem is... you always gotta watch your sources. I would like to see what this business does.

Thats the trouble with businesses and basically all organizations. Chances could be that this business is related to the NFLD fishing industry. But then again, its also quite possible that the article frizzle linked to is written by an animal extremist, trying to impose their beliefs by only showing half the truth xD

#49 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:00 PM

Thats the trouble with businesses and basically all organizations. Chances could be that this business is related to the NFLD fishing industry. But then again, its also quite possible that the article frizzle linked to is written by an animal extremist, trying to impose their beliefs by only showing half the truth xD

Well it's the humane society so I would think they would be pretty credible but I could be wrong :p

#50 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 April 2006 - 03:41 AM

Well it's the humane society so I would think they would be pretty credible but I could be wrong :p

Ya never know... they sound like a pro hippy kind of organization to me :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users