Quantcast

Photo

Is programming hard

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Poll: Is programming hard

Well is it ?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Raui

Raui
  • 5687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 March 2006 - 04:04 PM

Me and cara were having a debate on if programming is hard or not :p now on my defence today ive got visual basic's MsgBox command ? Can you guess what that is...yes its a message box :p

#2 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 March 2006 - 04:04 PM

I think it is hard. It takes looooots of thinking and especially looooooooots of time if you want to make it real good.

#3 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 March 2006 - 04:06 PM

Programming is not difficult unless interpreted as difficult. Some people naturally will have a harder time than others (for example me) while some will wiz through it like a pro (for example Pete.)

#4 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 March 2006 - 04:07 PM

Confooooossssinggg! ^_^

I don't understand how you people program .... Math is easier for Christs Sakes ... :p

#5 Raui

Raui
  • 5687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 March 2006 - 04:08 PM

my cousin has always said you either have it in you or you dont i supose :p

hehe funny cara you've gotta be good at maths to be a good professional programmer :p

#6 sockopen

sockopen
  • 1481 posts

I personally think it's really easy. In my opinion it comes down to the way people think. Some people are very artistic, some are very good speakers, etc.. some people are just born being capable of becoming great programmers.

If you get comfortable with a language and developing environment, even if you're not a great programmer, you can agree that programming is very easy; it's very logical.

#7 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

I found it hard when I tried to learn...Thats why I stopped learning :p

#8 Raui

Raui
  • 5687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 March 2006 - 04:10 PM

and random thats what seperates the people who can program to the people who cant learning can take a little while ;)

#9 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 March 2006 - 04:11 PM

I found it hard when I tried to learn...Thats why I stopped learning :p

xD Exactly with me too!!!!!!!!! :o

But it's hard to say, if you go through life saying 'Damn that's hard!So hard! I can never do it!Too hard!' then well, I mean, if/when you try it, it'll seem alot harder then it is. 'Mind over matter'. ^_^

But I voted 'yes'.

#10 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 March 2006 - 04:12 PM

It depends on the language. It ranges from Python being insanely difficult to learn while Vb6 taking a month or so of dedication and a couple good books/websites for tutorials.

#11 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 March 2006 - 04:13 PM

and random thats what seperates the people who can program to the people who cant learning can take a little while ;)

I probably could learn...I got a 99 on both my states tests(You can't get 100) I don't study for exams and get good grades, 97 Average...If I put my mind to it I could, but I'm to lazy.

#12 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 March 2006 - 04:23 PM

I think it is difficult. Not nessesarily learning the programming but the debugging is the hard part. When something goes wrong... THAT'S where the difficulty comes in. Now I'm no expert at programming but I do know CSS and html and that is always the hardest part for me.

#13 supatyson

supatyson
  • 1959 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 04:23 PM

I am not going to put an answer into the poll because I think that it is as hard as you make it. If you are good with maths that helps.

However if your commited to learning than you will be fine, but if your only gonna learn like something every now and then its gonna be impossible.

#14 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 March 2006 - 04:35 PM

I think it is difficult. Not nessesarily learning the programming but the debugging is the hard part. When something goes wrong... THAT'S where the difficulty comes in. Now I'm no expert at programming but I do know CSS and html and that is always the hardest part for me.

I don't imagine being difficult to debug as its a visual effect, so you can probably pinpoint any issues your having.

Difficulty in program is based on two things. Your dedication to learning it and how your brain works (refer to sockopens post). A lot of programming is mathmatics from what I have seen, so you'd best be good in that aspect as well :p

#15 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 March 2006 - 04:35 PM

I agree with you sockopen. I'm a writer and artist more than a programmer and I find difficulty set in to some of the elements of programming. None the less, an unnatural programmer can still become great.

#16 RandomNameIgnoreIt

RandomNameIgnoreIt
  • 1828 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 March 2006 - 04:38 PM

It's not really hard to learn, or hard to do... what's hard is the time. I think anything in it can be understood by practically anyone, but you have to have the clarity of thought and attention span to sit around for hours on end to consume it, and practice it so you can remember it.

#17 Magma

Magma
  • 792 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 05:17 PM

i know basic web programming.. html, css, some javascript, and basic PHP... programming matters on how much time you have and how much time you devote to it.. and if you dont practice everything goes to waste cause i used to look up php functions and try them out but not more than once so i forgot all of it.. quickly.
It really matters if you wanna learn it or not.. if you wanna try, and if you dont, dont try. Simple as that

#18 Mumei

Mumei
  • 3545 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 05:49 PM

Programming is like pretty much any skill it comes naturally to some and is hard to master for others.

but i really belive that you can teach everyone to program.

it's like you can teach everyone to drive a car, for some it's just obvious and natural, for others it's a struggle but they can do it, for others they should not even be allowed to look at a car let alone get in one

simarly like how some people enjoy driving, and will go out just for a drive at weekends and others really would prefer to be driven - not everyone gets enjoyment out of programming

we're lucky here because lots of us do enjoy the buz that creating programs gives us

#19 Vegas

Vegas
  • Why So Serious?

• 2323 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 March 2006 - 09:37 PM

I am not in anyway a progamming expert or remotely close but my friend is teaching me java as he said its like a stepping stone to other languages. It is hard at first but then you eventually get better and better over time. Like practising with anything else(sports and shit) you get better. I wanted to learn because it'll b a good skill to put on my resume because employers know learning it how to is hard and takes alotta time so they'll know your a hard worker. So thas my motivation. Find a motivation, watever it may be,(np shit, accounting, whatever)

But you gotta try before you start saying its hard and stuff. You aint gonna get nowhere in life with that.

"Fall 7 times, stand up 8" Japanese Proverb

“I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.” -Michael Jordan

You gotta keep striving to do better. Like what Mumei, anybody can learn how to, just gotta try.

*Lol i've been going through alot of quotes for an assignment :p

#20 Guest_Xth Cannon_*

Guest_Xth Cannon_*

Posted 24 March 2006 - 12:09 AM

Programming is relatively simple and easy for me. I can seem to pick up anything. Visual Basic, C++, PHP, HTML, CSS etc. I even learn how to do most of the flash stuff in like an hour. I got an extremely good memory and am good at maths, and I find these are the two most important things when it comes to programming.

#21 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:22 AM

I don't imagine being difficult to debug as its a visual effect, so you can probably pinpoint any issues your having.

Well with webprogramming I have discovered that it IS hard to debug since half the things that go wrong make no sense at all actually. You can see the visual effect, yes, but... actually knowing what went wrong in the code... that's difficult.

I was making a webpage for my mom's company about... two years ago. I couldn't figure out this one error out and well... even the programmer who works there who is an experty in pretty much every language possible and designed a huge program in C++... even he couldn't figure it out. I finally pretty much tested EVERYTHING in the code and figured out what went wrong so yes, it is difficult even if you have visual aid.

#22 Robert

Robert
  • 6934 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:25 AM

At first yeah I found it hard but after you type the same code over and over again you remember it then that is easy to learn a bit more and a bit more so I say it is only hard if your not willing to learn it.

#23 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 March 2006 - 08:50 AM

Debugging is hard. especially when your as impatient as me. Take note I once threw a chair against the wall when i was in the middle of debugging a visual basic program.

#24 Mystical

Mystical
  • 1020 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:19 AM

good lord you guys thinking debugging in vb is hard? try debugging a c++ program especially in devcpp

#25 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:43 AM

good lord you guys thinking debugging in vb is hard? try debugging a c++ program especially in devcpp

I've had worst expiriences with Dev. Theres a reason I had to get a new computer a few months ago.

Like said, im very impatient.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users