Quantcast

Photo

Is programming hard

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Poll: Is programming hard

Well is it ?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 March 2006 - 12:16 PM

Hehe, Brkn tells me all the time about his debugging issues. With C++ debugging is hell. I mean... the poor guy. Some of the things are horribly silly. Sometimes even a change of case can cause an error >_<

#27 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 March 2006 - 12:19 PM

Hehe, Brkn tells me all the time about his debugging issues. With C++ debugging is hell. I mean... the poor guy. Some of the things are horribly silly. Sometimes even a change of case can cause an error >_<

If you're programming in C++ case changes in variables or functions or classes etc will always get you and error :p
But I don't think it's hard at all if you dedicate some time and hard work into it :)

#28 Mumei

Mumei
  • 3545 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 12:32 PM

yup C++ is not the easiest to debug, but as you say it's just a slog if you're using good programming practices you should already know pretty much exactly where the error is

when we dubug our code that's been shipped to Live we have to strip symbols and optomise (this basically removes things like variable names, and makes the code look very different to how you programmed it) - i've only ever had to attempt once to get info from a running program (stepping thru the code is so hard as you're stepping thru low level ASM like code trying to match it up to your work) - looking at memory maps *shudders* now that was hard, but not imposible, i just had to slog thru it

#29 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 March 2006 - 12:34 PM

Well with webprogramming I have discovered that it IS hard to debug since half the things that go wrong make no sense at all actually. You can see the visual effect, yes, but... actually knowing what went wrong in the code... that's difficult.

I was making a webpage for my mom's company about... two years ago. I couldn't figure out this one error out and well... even the programmer who works there who is an experty in pretty much every language possible and designed a huge program in C++... even he couldn't figure it out. I finally pretty much tested EVERYTHING in the code and figured out what went wrong so yes, it is difficult even if you have visual aid.

Note that I haven't written anything large scale with html :p . From my experiences with it though, I didn't have problems picking out errors (it was usually a typo or some forggetn quotation xD)

Debugging is actually hard. Say you run your program, and after you start it, it runs into a error like "Subscript out of range". This generally apply's to array's only. So you take a look at the command button code, what happens when the button clicks, and you have an array in there. You put a breakpoint, run it, and check the value. Not it. So you follow the buttons code to another sub of code, where there is 4 array's, and it also breaks off to 3 different subs. They could be in any of those 4 array's, as well as any of those subs of code. And that's a minor example, most of the time the error's are so random and meaningless, it takes you at least an hour to find them xD

Yar, I guess especially with a larger program, debugging would be a pain. Especially when you fix the given error and find out that this only creates like 10 more errors :lol:

#30 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 March 2006 - 03:43 PM

Programming itself isn't difficult... learning it is though. Once you have a grasp of the language, you can do pretty much anything within the capabilities of the language. But the hardest part is actually learning something... especially your first one. I remember learning HTML... my God that was a nightmare.

#31 RandomNameIgnoreIt

RandomNameIgnoreIt
  • 1828 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 March 2006 - 04:31 PM

Ah the subject of debugging... Well, C++ is harder, but VB 6 wins for sheer annoyance factor the way it'll only tell you one at a time :p

Debugging isn't so bad if you make overt errors.... it'll usually take you right to the line and say derp, that's not right. The ones that are bad are when the program runs with NO errors but it doesn't work right, and there's no visual indications of what it is. I've spend many an hour trying to track down such things v_v

#32 Axy

Axy
  • 431 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 07:01 AM

first when i started to program with vb6, i found it insanely difficult. it was really hard. but even after two weeks, i found myself thinking, is vb6 really for me?. then i came across php, the most beautiful programming language EVER! seriously ppl, if you want to start programming in c but find it insanely hard, learn php first then c. the syntax is almost the same. also in php, you don't have to declare variables:

<?php

//this is the start of my code.  nothing else before this.
count = 0;
if count == 0
{
count++;
}

?>

php won't squeal at me for not declaring count, like vb would. so, in short, programming is easy

Edited by Axy, 27 March 2006 - 05:57 AM.

#33 Bão

Bão
  • 5407 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:33 AM

I think it's easy although I haven't really "programed programed." I'm learning right now. It takes algebra skills and a creative mind. Then you just have to put everything together.

#34 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2006 - 05:47 AM

first when i started to program with vb6, i found it insanely difficult. it was really hard. but even after two weeks, i found myself thinking, is vb6 really for me?. then i came across php, the most beautiful programming language EVER! seriously ppl, if you want to start programming in c but find it insanely hard, learn php first then c. the syntax is almost the same. also in php, you don't have to declare variables:

[code=auto:0]
<?php

//this is the start of my code. nothing else before this.

if count == 0
{
count++;
}

?>

php won't squeal at me for not declaring count, like vb would. so, in short, programming is easy

But declaring all of your programs varaibles before you start, makes it easier to track down errors related to them. If you have a varabile related error in php, wouldn't you then have to look through a whole slew of code to find it?

#35 Raillery

Raillery
  • 353 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:54 AM

I found it hard when I tried to learn...Thats why I stopped learning :p

I've tried at least 3 times and I just get discouraged when I mess one thing up.

maybe i'll try again

#36 Mystical

Mystical
  • 1020 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 11:37 AM

For all you people that put no... I want to see 14 distinct, meaningful, none neopets programs that isn't regurgitating someone elses code and/or libraries and heavily commented to the point where you think you are reading a document over the actual code.

It may come easy for some of us but programming is quiet difficult if it wasn't there would be no need for the title "Programmer" or any other CS Specialty name and a little programs called "Windows" wouldn't be used by what 75% +/- 15 of the world's computers.

Now programming for neopets hell yes its easy you are doing at max 10 things for any individual program....
1. using winsock
2. loading a string
3. parsing a string
4. well thats all i got for 99% of the neopets programs
5. OIR is about the most difficult thing you are going to run into on neopets and well just look for the 255 255 255.

#37 Archon

Archon
  • 2142 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 12:10 PM

Hmm... with my time spent with C. Its alllright. But as of right now HTML is frekkin easy. (Learning to design web. :))

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users